What's in a name?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope. Just illustrating the fascination of the language. You use a word that to you conjurs up the image of a boating adventure while when I hear the same word I think of a giant f*ck up.:)

Ours is M/T Nest. Hopefully they don't return. If they do then I'm going to have to rename the boat. Bad Luck!!!

My son moved to Japan a few years ago and found a wonderful Japanese girl for his bride. Because of that and the fact that my family (wife, daughter, son-in-law, sons, their wives, grand-kids and our dog) will be on the boat from time to time, we picked the name "Takara Maru" which translates to "Treasure Ship" in English.

Traveler" is also the name of a jetliner assembly step that cannot be completed per plan and so "travels" with the airplane as it moves down the assembly line. A traveler almost always results in expensive and time-consuming rework because other components that were installed per schedule often have to be removed in order for the traveler to be installed. So at Boeing a "traveler" is a Very Bad Thing.

And here I thought a "Boeing traveler" was a Boeing employee who posted on internet forums while waiting in the airport for the next flight.

......sorry...I just couldn't help myself.... <grin>

And here I thought a "Boeing traveler" was a Boeing employee who posted on internet forums while waiting in the airport for the next flight.

That, too. At the rate we're going poor Darren's gonna have to include the dictionary definition below the name of his boat on the transom.

Dreamers Holiday. Every boat we've owned had the same name. Even though it's an old song i never really paid attention to the words untill i heard Willie Nelson sing it in the early 80's. We thought that would be a great name, because that's how we feel when cruising.
As far as documentation numbers, they're regular stick on numbers on a stringer in the engine room with a coat of varnish over them so they cannot be removed. the Coast Guard told me that was the easiest and cheapest way to do it. and i'm all about easy and cheap!
John

Blue Heron. We live on a Bayou called Heron Bayou and we have families of nesting Herons. We have seen them fish from our dock and have admired their grace and determination for years. The day we got back to our home port with this boat a Blue Heron was fishing the slip we had reserved. So it is appropriate.

my boats name was NO WAKE/
Could it be read through the wake spray?
Our 1981 IG36 came with the name "Doriana"(origin unknown) carved into 3 teak boards;it`s the original name,we toyed with "Gypsy Queen" but decided to keep it, saves lifting the little horn mast to put a coin under it to appease the name change gods.
Before I got familiar with the radio alphabet I`d tell Coastguard (called Marine Rescue here) it was like "Oriana" (well known old P&O ship) with a "D" in front of it. BruceK

Northern Spy. The first Nordic Tug built and shown at the Seattle Boat Show in 1980 was Red Apple. Northern Spy, a variety of apple, is the first Nordic Tug in Canada. The first owner was also an exploration geologist, so there was a bit of a double entendre there. Funny enough, the Northern Spy apple was discovered a few miles from where I was born and the maternal side of my family are multgenerational fruit farmers, so the name stays.

We're both lifelong boaters. Me, power and sail. My wife Sea Hag, strictly sail. We named our Grand Banks "Change of Heart" ...as in my wife previously telling me "I would never own a power boat". Sheesh...what a snob.

Ad Lib

Although we picked the name based on the last definition below, the others seem to apply as well:

Ad Lib

verb; to act without plan They ad libbed their route.
noun; something done without plan Their weekend cruise was a successful ad lib.
adverb; performed without plan It was an ad lib anchorage.
adjective; as much or as often as desired They cruise on an ad lib basis.
Music; in an improvised manner with freedom to vary tempo and instrumentation

We considered Traveler for our new Albin ( my younger brother now deceased) is named Travis. For me it made all the sense but upon further discussions I believe we are leaning towards Adios or Cynbad. I for one am very nervous about changing name... Suggestions?

If you are doing a renaming, then make sure you take all precautions to do it properly. Here are some URLs on boat renaming: (http://www.bluewatersailing.com/documents/renamingceremony.pdf, Renaming Your Boat - BoatSafe.com) Please trust me on this. I had made the mistake of speaking the new name I was going to give to the sailboat I had just bought while on board her. Poseidon must have overheard and I had a number of problems till I did a proper renaming ceremony. (PS Don't skimp on the alcohol or the gods could get angrier.)
When I bough my current (new) trawler, my wife and I decided to keep the boat's original name to avoid any problems. So far, so good.

I was voting for "Tug This" but the wife wouldn't have it.
It came as "Lady Bug" but even my older sister out in California
laughed and said, "You're not exactly a lady bug kinda guy."

Eeber

Attachments

• DSCN0080.jpg
    DSCN0080.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 84
Cool looking boat. Eeber.
Who made it?

Sd

Kingfisher

When we bought the boat, we decided it was cheaper to just keep the name. Got rid of the Deleware registration location listed underneath.

Last boat was Persephone... Canadian boaters of my vintage will recall Beachcombers....

Apparently our trawler has had several names over the years, but we decided to keep "Delia Rosa" as she was named after the previous owner's two grandmothers... we were lucky that there was no other Delia Rosa in the Canadian Registry system as in Canada "registered" boat names need to be unique!

Compromise

It's a boat, but not a sailboat.

Bob

"Yip Yip", the fourth boat of that name in the family with the first dating to 1919. The first boat was a skiff owned by my grandfather and his brother. The exact origin of the name has been lost, but it would seem that it may have derived from the vernacular of the era. My grandfather served in the Army Signal Corps during WWI and was likely stationed at some point at Camp Upton on Long Island, NY. Irving Berlin, as a sergeant, helped produce a show at the camp called "Yip Yip Yaphank". (Yaphank was the nearby town.) The show was a revue with soldiers playing the various roles. Berlin later produced a show during WWII called "This is the Army". The story of the production of that show was made into a movie of the same name in 1943.

I can't say I worry too must about encountering another boat of the same name.

Don

Our boat came with the name "Paloma" meaning Dove in Italian and as it turns out Spanish. We are descended from neither but we like the name and the graphics. So it will do. Besides we are hoping for peaceful seas and cruises.

We called ours 'The Sharp Practice' after our shop.

Id tell you my favorite name, the SO hates it, but I want to use it again, hpoe its not bad luck to use it twice. "WETSPOT" the skipper doesn't approve.

Boomarang was the boat's name when I purchased it. It is a variation on the normal spelling of boomerang. I didn't care much for it.

The PO told me he wasn't too happy with the name either until he found out it was named Boomarang because "it always comes back." When he heard that, he decided not to change it.

Not wanting to tempt fate, or Neptune, I began to appreciate the odd name too.

Besides, explaining it makes for interesting conversation on the docks.:cool:

"Meander" because the boat came with the name, 3 name boards, monagrammed towels, napkins, and duffle. It also seemed to fit and we didn't have anything better in mind.

Ours is Beachcomber, named after my style of boating. We like to explore new areas and walk the beaches. It also was my CB handle way back in the 70's.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom