Refridgerator suggedtion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vineline

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
B-Side
Vessel Make
1976 Trojan 54
Hey there,

Want to replace my Norcold refrigerator with the MOST quiet option.

Thanks!!
Andy

Attachments

• these-big-ice-blocks-are-used.jpg
    these-big-ice-blocks-are-used.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 121
Here ya go ...

:):):):thumb::thumb::thumb:

PS-- We have a now-15 year old Norcold undercounter refrigerator/freezer on our boat and I have to say that despite it's quirky compressor setup we are surprised at how quiet it is. If it's dead quiet around us we can hear its hum when it kicks on but even then it's not at all objectionable. Any other noise--- wind, rain, waves, that busy "harbor sound," during the day---- masks it immediately. So most of the time we have no idea if the compressor's' running or not. The point being that Norcold's are not inherently noisy, at least not our model.

That said I do not recommend buying one if one is in the market for a refrigerator. There are better choices out there.

Last edited:
If compressor noise is an issue you could always consider propane. Properly set up it can be very cost effective and quiet solution.

You'll find most fridges which run off 12v, or AC for that matter, with the Danfoss type super-efficient compressors are pretty silent. I converted a nice, roomy, well insulated underbench fridge from eutectic to 12v using a Waeco set incorporating a Danfoss compressor, and we don't hear anything except a muted click when it turns on and faint hum when running, and that only if you have your ear really near it.

I believe in the larger sizes the NK will use the front discharge of the air used to cool the unit ..

This is very desirable , for a unit basically stuck in a small un-vented closet on a boat or RV.

Either way the hot air ends up inside the cabin , so its best to give the compressor a brake and let it breath.

I was at Sure Marine, Seattle two weeks ago to have the Webasto head motor replaced. While I was there I looked at the new Norcold as your Norcold is 17+ years old which runs 24/7 365 days. Our present is relatively quiet as in the summer we have the Air conditioning on and in the winter the Webasto which drown out the Norcold.

I still do not get why, dirt people think stuff on the boat has to be so quiet, when the dirt stuff makes just as much noise. :confused: Probable because the total square feet area on a boat is equal to the square feet on one room, so they are closer, and the wall are not as thick/sound proof. I like the noise so I can hear what is working and running. :thumb:

Some of the Vitrifrigo fridges and freezers have a remote located compressor. Benefits are more space inside the box, no heat inside the cabinets and the compressor can be placed anywhere....

Some of the Vitrifrigo fridges and freezers have a remote located compressor. Benefits are more space inside the box, no heat inside the cabinets and the compressor can be placed anywhere....
That's an option with some other brands as well.

If the noise is coming from the compressor & you are otherwise happy with the 'fridge, you may be able to swap out the compressor for a new Danfoss one relatively inexpensively. A 'fridge/air-con tech would be able to advise on sizings. If you go down this track, ask the tech about remote-installing the new compressor at the same time to somewhere well-ventilated but better acoustically separated: I think this can be done with almost any 'fridge. I have the Vitrifrigo 'fridge (same factory as Isotherm, different badging) & I agree with other posters that they are reasonably quiet. Fix old or install new, consider adding a brushless computer fan in condensor area, wired to compressor circuit, to improve air flow and significantly reduce run-times. These things cost literally a few dollars at a computer store and have negligible current draw. I have mine wired with an on/off switch so at the dock or in cool/cold weather it is off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom