View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #23
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Peter--- There is no such thing as too much horsepower in a floatplane and there is no such thing as too much RAM in a computer.

So as far as I'm concerned the only iPad worth getting is the full-bore, wifi/4G, 64gig version. Because even if you never think you'll need 64 gigs, apps keep getting larger, and if you want to store photos, movies, etc., you're eventually going to need the volume.

I had waited for the iPad 3 hoping it would have more connectivity, like a firewire or USB port and so on. But all they did different from the iPad 2 is use a way better camera and a slightly better retina display.

For what I use an iPad for neither the camera nor the retina display offered any advantage whatsoever. So I decided to get an iPad 2 which they still make.

BUT------ I found out they only still make one version, the 16 gig bottom of the line model. You can still get it with wifi and 3G, but 16 gigs wasn't going to cut it for my purposes.

This was last April right after the iPad 3 came out so the stores still had big stocks of the full range of iPad 2s. So I bought a black AT&T iPad 2 with 64 gigs and wifi and 3G for a bunch of hundred dollars less than the same setup in an iPad 3. Whether the stores still have these stocks of high-end iPad 2s today I don't know. Probably not.

Regardless, with the iPad 3 64 gigs is only $100 more than 32 gigs. So if it was me doing it again today, I'd get an iPad 3 with 64 gigs of RAM and both wifi and 4G.

The built-in, stand-alone GPS in the 3G/4G models is so useful, even outside the marine world, I don't understand why anyone would even consider getting a wifi-only version. Or conversely, why Apple didn't put the stand-alone GPS in the wifi-only models, too.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote