My boat is bigger than yours!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's the 'good news - bad news' for most FRP boats built in the 70's and early 80's. Fiberglass was cheap and relatively unknown how far it could be pushed. Most of our older hulls are built much stronger (and heavier) than needed. Not a huge deal on a trawler operated at displacement speeds though.

Well, good onya Murray, maybe we can get these Yanks up to speed then eh? However....even Canada has not gone all the way. Don't you still use miles, gallons, and miles per hour etc...?

Actually we measure liquids - fuel etc. - in litres, distance in kilometres, speed in kilometres per hour, and fuel consumption in litres per 100 kilometres. On land.

On the water, however, boat lengths are usually by the foot, depths (although this varies by user) by foot, distance by nautical miles, and speed by knots.

It's the UK that has the mix and match measurement system. They sell fuel by the litre and measures roads by the mile.

Well, OK, so I'm also on the fringe in that category, but if we start a thread on "My boat is uglier than yours", I've got a fighting chance.

Well, OK, so I'm also on the fringe in that category, but if we start a thread on "My boat is uglier than yours", I've got a fighting chance.

No you don't! :nonono: I have claimed that for over 15 years!

Or maybe taller?:)

I directed a film shoot on the USS Peleliu a number of years go and the captain of the ship was very proud when he informed me that while the Peleliu and her sister LHAs were not the biggest ships in the US Navy, they were the tallest.

So you would be in good company.

Last edited:
That's the 'good news - bad news' for most FRP boats built in the 70's and early 80's. Fiberglass was cheap and relatively unknown how far it could be pushed. Most of our older hulls are built much stronger (and heavier) than needed. Not a huge deal on a trawler operated at displacement speeds though.

In all due respect... Pardon me, SS!! Having been on/off the water for 60 years, if I may say... 70' and 80's overbuilt FRP ain't no bad news. But rather their build is actually real good news! Cause, the builders such as Tollycraft, Chris Craft, Hatteras, Bertram, and many others in that era actually built boats that can last a century or longer if properly maintained. Extra hp and fuel to push that weight is minimal in comparison to the boat's exceptional longevity, 24/7 safety factors, and consistent ease of maintenance. I feel right at home and real secure knowing that our 1977 Tolly's hull will take any pounding it could receive and there are few dead heads that might faze her at all. After any seafaring altercation, short of dead-on hitting a big rock while on high plane, she'll keep us smiling as I pilot her back to dock. Yeah she's a bit heavy with 1.25” +/- FG bottom thickness all the way alongside her keel and well upwards into her bow stem... but, after all, I do like firm meat on my gals! lol :dance:

"As Tom said, this isn't Small Boat Forum. The boats most of us have range from 30,000 to over 100,000 pounds with a fair amount of windage. What works for a fellow with a Grady White sportfish boat or a little Marben cruiser is of no relevance to me or Tom or anyone with similar or larger, heavier boats. I daresay Carl (Delfin) would not have a whole lot of success trying to get his boat to safety in the midst of stormy weather with a 9.9 hp outboard mounted on his stern.

Even IF this was the source, read the first sentence again. Marin did not say "This is not a small boat forum..." He said this is "This is not Small Boat Forum." Which is referring to a different forum specifically for small boats. No one here as far as I can tell is prejudiced towards smaller trawlers.

Aaaaaa, the correct response:
"The smaller the boat, the bigger the adventure"
Now here is a Master of Command that understands the true meaning of small boating!
When on occasion, we watch "Deadly Catch" the crab fishing in the Gulf of Alaska, my bride will say " O-I'd not like to be in that!!!" I look at her sideways, and say "Do you recall Camano Point with the 5 foot seas and 20 knot SE?"
It is all in perspective. Big boats big seas reflect what small boats in big seas are experiencing. The secret is to stay out big seas, yet the adventure of having been there becomes exciting to recall as you watch 'Deadly Catch' from the comfort of the lounge chair!!
Of course this brilliant statement quoted comes from a very intelligent Master and forum poster, has to be with a name of 'Al Johnson'
Just saying

A.M.(Al) Johnson-Ketchikan
27' Marben pocket trawler
"When I was younger, all I wanted was a nice BMW. Now, I don't care about the W!"

Peter B
BTW, when Ausatralia kicked out their English systems why did they not start driving on the right side?

We thought about it, but as you know Kangaroo's hop to the right,so it was generally considered safer to stay with left hand drive cars, not such an issue with the trains though. :rolleyes:( the silly season is upon us)

When I was young, I wanted to be ready for anything...now that I'm pushing 70, my scope is limited and I just want to be comfortable doing those limited things.

Our Nimble Nomad is always the smallest boat in the marina but we always have lots of folks coming by to see her. We don't do world cruises but we always have fun and that's the point! And at 25', we do have lots of adventures..LOL

Attachments

• P1060266.JPG
    P1060266.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 220
... he informed me that while the Peleliu and her sister LHAs were not the biggest ships in the US Navy, they were the tallest.

I don't think that's the case. The little mini-carriers aren't as tall as the Nimitz Class boats. Side-by-side, we dwarfed them.

In all due respect... Pardon me, SS!! Having been on/off the water for 60 years, if I may say... 70' and 80's overbuilt FRP ain't no bad news. But rather their build is actually real good news!

I probably phrased that wrong. I completely agree with you. It's one of those good news / bad news stories. They're heavy... but will be around forever.

Nimble1,
Nice boat and user friendly too.
A friend has one in Everett Washington.
Believe it or not he lives aboard.
Your's looks to be in EXTREME ship shape.
I like the OB and trailer ability as well.
Beautiful boat.

Thanks Eric

Our boat is actually hull#1 built in 1990 and it was the boat show boat that Nimble took to all the shows. My wife and I actually went on board the boat at the Miami Boat Show when it was first displayed there. It has the original 1991 Honda 45hp outboard on it.We have owned her since 1994.
The Nimble line was designed by Ted Brewer and he owned one in your area at one time.Not sure if he still does.There is a Nimble Nomad group on Facebook also that is pretty active.
We do enjoy her and living in SW Fla with lots of skinny water, the shallow draft is a plus.We do try keep it as original as possible and hope to continue enjoying her for many years to come.

I don't think that's the case. The little mini-carriers aren't as tall as the Nimitz Class boats. Side-by-side, we dwarfed them.

You'll have to take that up with the LHA guys. When I asked the captain, "even taller than the CVAs and CVNs" he said, "yep." Now maybe the LHAs have a really all antenna or something, I don't know. But that was his phrase, "tallest ships in the Navy."

Nimble1,
I think that's the same engine my friend has on his .. 45 Honda. I wonder if the 30 hp is the 45 w one cyl missing. I really like the offset gear driven propeller shaft. Better balanced engine.
I've heard the name Ted Brewer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom