Anchor Size/Type

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes that appears to be an excellent design Marin.

I was told the Northill was designed specifically for flying boats. Do you think or know that that's true?

You were told correctly. The website Spy put in the previous post is the one where I learned awhile back what I know about the Northill. Check it out.

I believe the SS was also chosen to affect a compass the least.

The Navy flying boat P5M guys were probably the worlds best at time/distance/fuel /howgoes it.

Seems when a squadron would deploy 6 aircraft would go to a base that frequently would only have 3 or 4 hauling cradles.

First in time , first in line. So as flying boats , not amphibians , a few would have to be manned wet 24/7 .

The Pilot who got his boat hauled was LOVED by his crew! NO anchor watch!!

The Skipper and XO would leave 15 or 30 min ahead of the group. RHIP

The fun game was to make up that 1/2 hour with out running out of fuel due to the higher power setting.

Amazing performance on lumbering tubs can be had by the motivated!

I came across this today, anyone any idea what type of anchor it is supposed to be? View attachment 14695

View attachment 14696

This is an almost identical design that is used on virtually every shrimp boat in the Gulf of Mexico. These boats anchor in relatively shallow water (20 to 30') to relatively deep water (60 to 100') and hold without dragging in winds well in excess of 50 MPH. They travel along the coast from Florida to South Texas and the Mexican Border. Coastal being up to around 60 miles or more from land. Most are made by a local welding shop - nothing fancy or high tech.

"Most are made by a local welding shop - nothing fancy or high tech."

What works works,,,,perfect for the commercial fish guys.

The big nonsense claims come from the new guy on the block that wants to get more per pound for his latest creation than GE gets for an aircraft engine.

Back
Top Bottom