what is this old girl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motion30

Guru
This just passed on ICW
dont know what it is but I just liked the look

Attachments

• IMAG0330.jpg
    IMAG0330.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 581
Possibly a Transworld Fantail 50?

Sitting watching all these great boats go by makes me realize, I need to get off the dock

When I was a kid, and somebody said "yacht" this is what I thought of. Now, they're all 250-300 feet or more to be called a real "yacht"..

She's a Trumphy "Houseboat", I believe one of the 1950's era 71 footers, might be called Aurora......

Nope, I was wrong, or she may have been Aurora in the past, now she is called Bernadette......

Definitely a Trumpy.

Nope, I was wrong, or she may have been Aurora in the past, now she is called Bernadette......

I believe we have a winner!
Trumpy Yacht "Bernadette" in Jekyll Creek at Jekyll Island, Georgia on the ICW 11-09-11 - Southeastern Photography - © Troup Nightingale

Talk about an absolutely gorgeous vessel. I am in love. If I ever win the lottery I am going to buy me a nice big classic like this to cruise in. I will probably also only drink gin and tonic while aboard and listen to jazz and classical. Heck. I may have a violinist on staff. :)

Check out Yacht World. They have listed a 72 foot Trumpy "Houseboat" for $350,000. Nice interior.

AMAZING , we can use Trumphys name , Houseboat , for a fine good looking yacht,

but call a dock queen 3 stories high with an oxygen tent on top , that never leaves the slip a houseboat , and your in for a fight!

Some old school bling.

My next boat

Talk about an absolutely gorgeous vessel. I am in love. If I ever win the lottery I am going to buy me a nice big classic like this to cruise in. I will probably also only drink gin and tonic while aboard and listen to jazz and classical. Heck. I may have a violinist on staff. :)

In your dreams, Woodsong.

Eric, I would have thought you might be put off by that tacked on stern oxygen tent, as FF calls them. It sort of detracts from the classic lines and beautiful fantail stern, dost thou not think....?

When I said "my next boat" I had no idea how beautiful this boat is.

Notice the anchor crane on the bow. Not half as ugly as most bow pulpits are. And the bow thrusts itself boldly into the world unencumbered by bow rails and other clutter to show how beautiful she is. But modern anchors wouldn't store on deck as well as the old guys.

I don't think the pilothouse windows were original and they are probably better looking than the old ones.

At the faster speed the wake is even as beautiful as the hull and they seem to compliment each other wonderfully.

Peter,
Actually I don't feel the same way about the stern as I do about the rest of the boat. The "tent" isn't really a tent but it makes the stern seem to have a bit too much mass and the hull (at the stern) pinched down to almost nothing dosn't help. I'd like a fuller stern. Max the WLL and that tiny transom actually looks funny .. I think. But if Goldie Hawn wore shoes I didn't like I'd not send her back to change. And if I had this boat I wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited:
AMAZING , we can use Trumphys name , Houseboat , for a fine good looking yacht,

but call a dock queen 3 stories high with an oxygen tent on top , that never leaves the slip a houseboat , and your in for a fight!

Do you think it might be the "Dock Queen and Oxygen Tent" comments that might be the real reason for the fight?

No some how HOUSE BOAT has become a bad name .

The only folks that like the dafynition are up "between the lakes" with monsters that measure 30 ft beam and 100 ft long.

The most amazing thing is they USE their houseboats as boats!!!

Many leave the dock , so the kids can enjoy the sliding chute from rooftop to the water.

Bernadette was hauled out here at Bradford Marine last week. We use a Synchrolift rather than a Travel lift so the yard can haul these wooden beauties with full support along the length of the keel instead of four straps that could cause damage.
I was given a tour by the captain who told me the last refit was over 2 million within the last few years.

Not bad but I've seen much better over the years (by my taste). I agree with Eric-- I think the boat looks way too bulky and heavy in the back. Eliminating that structure over the aft deck and making the main cabin transition down a little more gently to the deck would, in my view, make it a much better, sleeker looking vessel.

So if I had the money to buy and maintain something like that, I wouldn't buy that one. But design is subjective, right?

A long time ago, in another life, I, and two partners, bought old Trunpy's and rebuilt them in SE North Carolina. In 5 years, we bought, rebuilt and sold 4 boats. When I was a kid in the mid-late 50's, we lived at the Naval Academy in Annapolis and my Dad took me to the Trumpy yard, the Annapolis Boat Co IIRC, and I fell in love with them. Trumpys, to me, have an unmatched beauty and elegance. John Trumpy was a great boat designer and builder. But, if you are going to own one, be prepared for the yard bills!

I think someone is still trying to build using the Trumpy name, but I don't remember who. Quite a few years ago, John Trumpy's grandson was the Dockmaster/Marina Manager at the Daytona Municipal Marina.

Back
Top Bottom