Flip Up TV Mount

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
Not sure if it belongs here, but I'm looking for a flip up flat panel TV mount. Don't have room for a permanent mount but could use a flip up mount installed over the lower helm. Flip down to watch, flip up out of the way.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Bob

We have a Sharp 15" that sits under the counter. I am not sure if they make them any more but it works just fine for us.

Attachments

• Under the counter TV.jpg
    Under the counter TV.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 155
I've seen those. They're still available but only in the small sizes like for mounting under kitchen cabinets. I'm looking for something that will support something in the 30" range.

Bob

Hmmm ya for larger mounts ( wall / ceiling ) it usually only goes right/left and tilts up/down. I have never seen a flip up out of the way other than the one in the picture and I am not sure how much weight that one will hold but I believe the extension would be the limiting factor using a 30". :confused:

Elwin

You will find the type you are looking for in the places that sell sound/video equipment for car and caravan/motorhome vehicles. I was considering one for above my helm also, so when on a boring leg one could watch sport by angling it towards the helm. The only issue is the max screen sizes available in this arrangement are limited to about 20".
See examples here - there are others...
In Car Roof Flip Down DVD Player

As Peter B suggests, look in audio/video stores and RV stores. If there's an RV dealer in your area, visit and take a look in the larger RVs and see what they use. If the dealer can't sell you the mount, get the manufacturer's information from it and contact them directly

I think for a boat, you will want a mount with some sort of safety lock or strap to keep the TV in the stored position when you're not watching it. Unlike a home, there will be a lot of vibration.

I found several on the internet that supposedly support larger sets.

liftmytv.com is one, they have a dealer here in Houston so I can check it out in person. The other one is wallmountworld.com, no local dealers.

Bob

There are a bunch on Amazon starting aroung $25.

2 Winters ago heading south we had a 24inch on a swing down mount in the salon over the nav station. Worked great untill i ended up in a winter storm off of charleston in Jan somehow the unit became unlatched and started flipping up and down unkown to me as i was busy trying to keep things together at the helm. Then what caught my attention was the TV flying across the salon crashing into the galley! TV 0 / Storm 1, Lesson learned if it will move screw it down or pack it. Some house hold items work on a boat some don't. Funny on my last boat i had alot of things sitting around someone would be aboard and grab something then notice it was attached to what it was sitting on that was attached to the floor !

I have installed this mount in my boat. It has a good range of adjustments. Amazon: $40
Premier Mounts FLIP LCD Flip-Down Mount, Silver

Attachments

• 31EUdfqXlTL__SS400_.jpg
    31EUdfqXlTL__SS400_.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 2,943
I have installed this mount in my boat. It has a good range of adjustments. Amazon: $40
Premier Mounts FLIP LCD Flip-Down Mount, Silver

+1. Mine is black.
-Love it, but don't stow it in the 'tilted up' position.
-May not handle a 30" TV. Mine holds a 22" TV.
-Would need additional retention straps/system to secure it along the ceiling in the 'tilted up' position.

Just picked up and installed a Legacy 17 inch LCD 12 V TV. It replaced the 10 inch that I moved to the foward berth. Its hard mounted under the over head folds up out of the way etc.

Purchased through Amazon.

For folks in places where the boat gets cold for a storage season ,

be sure to read the MFG cautions on usually Plasma TV sets about the cold.

FF

Here in Houston we're more cocerned about heat. With the boat unattended and the A/C off it gets really hot inside.

Bob

Hey Bob... I have been looking for the same thing in the Houston area. If you find somehting of merit let me know where to go look.

When down does the $40 Amazon unit allow the set to be rotated ?

FF

A couple of pictures of the TV mount I finally selected.

Also our boat name, any guesses as to what the compromise was?

Bob

Attachments

• DSC03391.jpg
    DSC03391.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC03393.jpg
    DSC03393.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC03390.jpg
    DSC03390.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 132
I was afraid someone would ask. It was www.wallmountworld.com. As the admiral pointed out, I should have leveled it in the up position. In the down position it pivots.

I'm not sure how the flatpanel will react to some shock and vibration in the up position. I don't think the designers took that position into account when designing the TV. While under way I plan to have it in the down position, just in case. Unless of course we use the lower helm which is unlikely.

Bob

I don't think the designers took that position into account when designing the TV.

Camping World has units they sell for RV's which probably have higher G loads than boats.

Might be worth a look.

Back
Top Bottom