Who's Here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your boat's displacement?

• 0-10,000lbs (0-4.5 metric tons)

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • 10,000-20,000 lbs. (4.5-9 metric tons)

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • 20,000-30,000 lbs. (9-13.5 metric tons)

Votes: 32 34.4%
  • 30,000-40,000 lbs. (13.5-18 metric tons)

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Over 40,000 lbs. (18 metric tons)

Votes: 22 23.7%

• Total voters
What I am finding most surprising so far are the number of boat makes and models that are close to ours in size but are much, much lighter. For example A Ross' 34' Marine Trader is only two feet shorter than our GB36, yet it weighs about five tons less.

I have no opinion about the significance of this other than it's rather surprising. I have assumed that boats similar in style and size to ours would weigh about the same but that is clearly not the case.

1977 Californian 34' Long Range Cruiser (LRC), twin Perkins 4.236 85 hp diesels, the specs say 18,000 lbs, but I bet I'm pushing close to 20,000 lbs. Never had it weighed, though. I've owned the boat for 5 1/2 years, I'm 55.

Hobo's design displacement is 39,500 lbs at half load according to Krogen. Fill the water and fuel tanks, add 3,700 lbs. The last time we were on a travel lift where the operators felt the gauges were accurate, we weighed a little over 44,000 lbs (tanks not full). When the tanks are full, with tools, 2 sewing machines and all our other "stuff" we are pushing slightly over 46,000 lbs.

Interesting discussion... I'll 'weigh' in here. Belle Aurore is a 1978, 53 ft. stretched Hatteras LRC. I've had her one year and she is my first 8 knot boat. Here is my quick calculation of her displacement - and sure I have forgotten some things. 55,000 lbs dry boat, 9,650 base fuel, 2,500 reserve fuel, 3,582 water, 1,668 reserve water, 500 spare parts & tools, 300 electronics & safety gear, 300 personal items, 860 dingy with motor. This gives me 74,360 Lb displacement.

Bounty Offshore Pilot 257, 11,000 lb displacement fully loaded, powered by Volvo KAD44P diesel sterndrive, 5100 hours so far. Built for us in 97-98.

Me: 65 and retired since New Moon was launched.

1984 Monk 36, 24000# displacement, 3 years ownership, Old Navy Guy class of 46'

Last edited:
Be curious to see what we do/did.

I just recently retired as an airline pilot.

It seems there are quite a few aviation people here.

Not as many big (heavy) boats as was first thought. Interesting.

I was born 1960 and was 'semi-retired' until age 32 (never quit a job and was never fired...just did contract work, seasonal jobs, traveled, went to Fine Arts and Photography schools, hiking, expedition sea kayaking, etc) then got a real job at Post Office. Been there almost 20 years. I'll retire the same year our daughter graduates high school in 6 years. Still a large format B&W wet darkroom photographer who makes all his chemistry from scratch.

What I am finding most surprising so far are the number of boat makes and models that are close to ours in size but are much, much lighter. For example A Ross' 34' Marine Trader is only two feet shorter than our GB36, yet it weighs about five tons less.

I have no opinion about the significance of this other than it's rather surprising. I have assumed that boats similar in style and size to ours would weigh about the same but that is clearly not the case.

Marin, the 17k I quoted would be more comparable to 26k I see as the dry weight of older GB36 twins in YW listings. It's all that extra glass they put in the hull I guess...:), plus an extra engine, etc.

OK

2001 Bayliner 4788

Factory says 30,000 pounds dry, USCG document says 24 tons

50 years old. Boating as an adult hobby for 13 years.

OK

2001 Bayliner 4788

Factory says 30,000 pounds dry, USCG document says 24 tons

50 years old. Boating as an adult hobby for 13 years.

I believe that USCG Document "24 Tons" is a measurement of volume rather than weight (1 "ton" in this case--using the US admeasurement method-- being equivalent to 100 cubic feet of internal volume).

I guess I better put my two cents in. Been boating since 1947 when my mother brought me home from the hospital to the sailboat they were living on in Florida.
Our current boat and largest I have owned weighs in at 94,000 lbs on the travel lift. It does not dip down when someone steps aboard. If I ever move back to shore I will probably get a smaller boat.

I think weight and cost are proportional. Anyone think there is a basic dollar pre pound for new boats?

One thing you can do if you're interested is check a poster's profile. Some people don't put anything there but some of us have listed our careers, other hobbies, etc. IIRC all you have to do is click on a person's name in their avatar to open their profile.

I'll not list everything here as it's in my profile but one thing that isn't, which will date me somewhat although I was but a wee lad at the time, is I ran one of the stage cameras for Elvis Presley's big concert from Hawaii that went live to Japan and Europe not too long before his death. After the concert itself we taped several additional songs for the 90-minute television special NBC was going to put together. During this we began to have countless VTR problems in the remote truck. During the delays Elvis would come over to the side of the stage and sit down next to me on the base of my camera pedestal. We had some very short but interesting conversations.

I never cared for his music but after that concert I had tremendous respect for his professionalism as a performer.

My Norelco camera, 18:1 zoom lens, and camera pedestal displaced about 700 pounds.

Last edited:
36' Marine Trader, 1978 with advertised displacement of 21,000#. Purchased in September as a Great Loop boat. Scheduled departure is May 2013.

Retired CPA 1948 vintage, displacement unspecified. Although I have something over 10,000 miles of off shore and coastal sailing, this is my first power boat that I can't ski behind.

Arch

1988 58' Vantare displacement 68,000 we have had this boat lil over two years the last boat over 20me vintage 1954

Boat timber 48'6" motor cruiser. gardner 6 LXB main engine.
Built by boat builder and myself 1993 to 1995. been living on board ever since.
Displacement 28 tonnes (metric) no ballast.
Marine Engineer , Chief Engineer in Merchant navy, been at sea since 1970, retired in 2006 back to work in 2008, The GFC got me.
Cheers
Benn

Presently drive a 44 C&L trawler with twins. Registered tonnage 19, displaces 44,000# (travel lift weight) launched in 80, bought in 94. Me; 1948, retired in 2011.

There is a relationship. When I built my first cruising sailboat in 1977 production sailboats were going for around $3.00 per lb.

I am a little surprised about the number over 40,000. However, 40,000 is not that much for 45+ ft. Would be interesting how the over 40,000 breaks down. The Eagle is 58 ft, when last pulled 39 tons with the tanks close to empty. For the PNW I would not want a boat that could not pulled by a 50 ton lift as they seem to be the most common/popular at the yards.

GB 36 @ 25K lbs. I'm a 40 something working stiff. Stats: H-6'4", W-190lbs, chest-42", waist-33". Hobbies: 1. love making, 2. playing basketball 3. boating with love making.

Interesting. I think GB was being overly optimistic with their manual figures. When we had our boat hauled for the buyer's survey it was completely empty other than partial fuel and water. The Travelift operator weighed it and it was about 28,500 pounds. Our manual lists the displacement at 28,000 pounds. When we had the boat hauled this past spring for bottom painting the Travelift operator weighed it and it was a bit over 30,000 pounds. That's with half fuel and full water.

Ours is a twin with a heavy generator plus we have all our stuff on board.

Back
Top Bottom