Biscayne Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Just thinking about a little cruise down to Biscayne Bay for several days. Always before Biscayne Bay has been a place that we were passing through. So looking at the charts it looks like it would be worth a week or so of just gunking around. How about a scenario like this.

• Hurricane Harbor
  • No Name Harbor
  • Elliot Key
  • Boca Chita Key
  • Coconut Grove maybe a couple of days at Dinner Key

Larry can you shoot holes in that? Anyone else have comments or additions?

Don, Come on down! You're talking my home waters. Give me a call if you get down here. Maybe I can drag poor Possum away from the dock and meet you. As an alternative to No Name Harbor there is a nice sheltered spot just east of Matheson Hammock Marina. There is a nice place to eat in Matheson Hammock called the Redfish Grill. Bring a dinghy! Some of the best places to explore require a small boat.
Cruise through the Safety Valve and look at Stiltsville. Read some of the history of the area. Did you know that the Cape Florida lighthouse was attacked and burned by Indians?
Damn it, now you've got me started. I love Biscayne Bay.

Don, Come on down! You're talking my home waters. Give me a call if you get down here. Maybe I can drag poor Possum away from the dock and meet you. As an alternative to No Name Harbor there is a nice sheltered spot just east of Matheson Hammock Marina. There is a nice place to eat in Matheson Hammock called the Redfish Grill. Bring a dinghy! Some of the best places to explore require a small boat.
Cruise through the Safety Valve and look at Stiltsville. Read some of the history of the area. Did you know that the Cape Florida lighthouse was attacked and burned by Indians?
Damn it, now you've got me started. I love Biscayne Bay.

I will definitely let you know.We have been through there usually staying at the Coral Reef Yacht Club-----no sleezy place. However, we have changed out cruising style toward more anchoring. The dinghy goes where we go. When my son lived at Maimi Lakes we took out 17' Boston Whaler over much of the area. I actually like it more than the lower keys. The wind blows too much down there.

Maybe we can work it in with the Miami Boat Show.

We spent a couple of days at Dinner Key Marina, Coconut Grove, in 2010 and really enjoyed it. It is close to downtown Miami and there is a good food market a couple of hundred yards away. The Miami City Hall is on the grounds in the old PanAm terminal. This was a basefor the Flying Boats years ago lots of old pics. in the building.

Attachments

• Dinner key Marina PAA 004.jpg
    Dinner key Marina PAA 004.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Dinner key Marina 001.jpg
    Dinner key Marina 001.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
We spent a couple of days at Dinner Key Marina, Coconut Grove, in 2010 and really enjoyed it. It is close to downtown Miami and there is a good food market a couple of hundred yards away. The Miami City Hall is on the grounds in the old PanAm terminal. This was a basefor the Flying Boats years ago lots of old pics. in the building.

Hey Steve, the Pan Am hanger is still there. I have a friend who was raised in Coconut Grove. Her father was in charge of the maintenance of the aircraft. She has many stories to tell. They ran round the clock, so when a plane came in they had to be there. It is interesting history.

We spent about 3 nights at Coral Reef Yacht Club. Coconut Grove is a wonderful stop. Thanks for the memory.

We have spent a lot of time cruising Key Biscayne and like it a lot. Be sure and get over to Boca Chita on a weekday. Good restaurant at No Name. Chuck

Don: Don't believe Hopcar. I've been over at his Boat Store near the Airport lots of times and they say he's always out. Nobody ever says where he is....they just look at each other and raise their eye brows, then wink. I keep telling them I'm his best boating buddy, but they still won't give me a discount.

I'll have to admit that I haven't anchored much around here. Just north of No-Name Harbor is Pines Canal, and once you take the inlet, just inside is another small cove, sufficient enough for a half dozen boats to anchor and swing comfortably. Our old place was right on the cove. Now we're back in the canal a bit more....maybe three minutes or so from the cove. It's free anchorage, and the hold is about the same as No-Name. We've anchored some at the Miami Marine Stadium with its entrance just on the north side of the Richenbacher Causeway Bridge (the first bridge on the ICW south of Miami). We've also been to Boca Chita, and this time of year its probably OK. Mosquitoes are active and hungry much of the year, spoiling sunsets while tied-up there. Don't forget that there's lots of shallow, and don't hit Elliott Key on a party weekend. A visit to Stiltsville (the Admiral and I were married there) is a must, but it's terrible to anchor with the number of sport fishers throwing wakes at your beam all day. Give us a shout when your headed here. We could all hit the boat show.

We used to make a trip like that every time we had guests in for a few days. We'd anchor off a little south of the entrance rather than try and cram into No Name itself the deploy the Whaler to explore, have a meal at the Boaters Grill Carribean place in No Name. Another alternative anchorage is "Nixon Cove" off the Key Biscayne Yacht club, just north of Hurricane, very popular.

Then on to Elliot Key, lots of nice hiking on EK itself, there is a mini marina for small boats there. Again we had no desire to find a place to tie up in the bustle of Boca Chita, plus the entrance is a little sketchy for our boat, just took the Whaler, there is only about an hour"s worth of exploring on Boca Chita anyway, but it is a cool place. Then a little farther south anchor off Pumpkin Key, take the dinghy to explore Ocean Reef Club and surrounding small "wilderness keys" , another day stop in between is off Adams Key where again you can dock the dink and explore. Then out Angelfish Creek back north to Biscayne Channel (NOT the Safety Valve) which takes you through Stiltsville. A nice three or four day weekend if you want to add an "in town" stop like Dinner Key.

Healhustler, I warned the guys that if you came in, I wasn't there!:D
Actually I'm semi-retired and rarely get in before noon. Of course I spend a lot of time on this damn computer trying to get you guys to buy something from me!

Listening to all these suggestions about cruising Biscayne Bay has me all fired up to go boating.

healhustler;11 We could all hit the boat show.[/QUOTE said:
Great idea. Larry. Maybe Motion30 and Hopcar and any other forum members could meet us for lunch. It would be nice to put some faces to names. We will see what we can do to work it out.

Anyone else going to the show let us know, and please join in.

I like it! A Trawler Forum Reunion. No that's not right. You know what I mean.

I spent a pleasant week anchored in No Name. It can get a little wild on weekends when the Cuban Navy takes over the place. You are not allowed to tie up to the bulkhead overnight, but no one seems to pay any attention to the local cop.

But during the week it is delightful. Plenty of room to tie up during the day, but you will lose your spot in the anchorage. But I always was able to reanchor or, move outside if the weather was settled.

No Name is a state park and there are fishing piers, hiking trails, beaches and a light house worth visiting.

David

I spent a pleasant week anchored in No Name. It can get a little wild on weekends when the Cuban Navy takes over the place. You are not allowed to tie up to the bulkhead overnight, but no one seems to pay any attention to the local cop.

But during the week it is delightful. Plenty of room to tie up during the day, but you will lose your spot in the anchorage. But I always was able to reanchor or, move outside if the weather was settled.

No Name is a state park and there are fishing piers, hiking trails, beaches and a light house worth visiting.

David

Thanks David. We already tried Boca Chita on a weekend. We will not do that again. I figure No Name, Elliot Key, and Boca Chita Key during the week. Probably Dinner Key for the weekend.

By the way, is there a dinghy dock at No Name?

Here's Boca Chita on the weekend. You can see the harbor is full.

img_119152_0_9dc58733f0a76547395458cf9d4e08a1.jpg

Last edited:
!Listening to all these suggestions about cruising Biscayne Bay has me all fired up to go boating.

That quote got me to thinking about what a great cruising area we have. The Lower Keys and Bahamas are within easy reach. The upper Keys and Biscayne Bay are beautiful. Fort Lauderdale is no sleezy stop. Beautiful water, great snorkeling and fishing----it's all here. If only the girls in the bikinis didn't get in the way of the beautiful scenery. Really, there ought to be a law.:banghead: I love South Florida, Southwest Florida, the Chesapeake Bay, and the whole ICW. If we haven't gotten enough of it in 40 years, I'm probably a hopeless case.:socool:

This photo was made by one of our grandkids while snorkeling in the Abacos. I call it the Abaco Welcome Committee.

img_119157_0_8e0e5ff0cfb0d71a4bd22d9d70970392.jpg

Don:

I don't think that there is a dinghy dock per se at No Name. But half of the perimeter is concrete bulkhead, so just tie up your dinghy at a ladder.

David

Don:

I don't think that there is a dinghy dock per se at No Name. But half of the perimeter is concrete bulkhead, so just tie up your dinghy at a ladder.

David

Thanks, David. I'm going to post one more picture, and that's it. Ft. Pierce Inlet to Government Cut at Miami is about 120 miles. In decent weather running off shore Moonstruck makes the trip in about 4 hours or so. This is a picture out in the Stream hugging the inside to be out of most of the current. Moonstruck can really haul the mail.:D

img_119164_0_3c9cb266c86a634f4d2808a68472fb67.jpg

Don it looks like your prop tunnels produce a bit of a rooster tail effect. Not unlike a squirt boat either.

Don it looks like your prop tunnels produce a bit of a rooster tail effect. Not unlike a squirt boat either.

You are right, Eric. She rides at a fairly low angle that helps with the speed. The prop tunnels give a much shallower draft. She also has great all around visibility.

I said that I would not post anymore pictures here, but I would be remiss if not giving credit to Moonstruck's official Ace Photographer, Lou. Here she is at work, and not at work.

img_119180_0_10c9d5809a3451f3f5bed3b246735ad9.jpg

and not at work.

img_119180_1_2f21f26572a5c912e25d9fbf01ff3740.jpg

One of my favorite spots to anchor for the night in Biscayne Bay is down at the south end near the Card Sound Bridge. Take a dinghy ride through Steamboat Creek. Eat a meal at Alabama Jacks near the SW corner of the bridge.

One of my favorite spots to anchor for the night in Biscayne Bay is down at the south end near the Card Sound Bridge. Take a dinghy ride through Steamboat Creek. Eat a meal at Alabama Jacks near the SW corner of the bridge.

OK, one more. Alabama Jack's----just the kind of dive I like. The weekends are crazy with all the motorcycles coming in.

img_119197_0_250b0f0d8675e703d79e3d7a0993f36e.jpg

There's a little bit of everything in the Keys.

Greetings,
Good Golly! Alabama Jacks!!!! Hahahaha.....I "think" I've been there but can't remember all that well.....Posted just after Mr. Moonstruck. Yup, that be the place alrighty.

Greetings,
Good Golly! Alabama Jacks!!!! Hahahaha.....I "think" I've been there but can't remember all that well.....Posted just after Mr. Moonstruck. Yup, that be the place alrighty.

Mr. Rt it is on Card Sound Road on the causeway section of the bridge. A real dump, but a lot of fun.:D I'm too old for that crap, but do it anyway.

Don, if the weather makes you stop in Fort Lauderdale give me a call if you would like a tour of Bradford Marine where I work. Many boaters like to see the work being done to the megayachts that are here all the time.
My number is on my website, which is the same as my username.

Anyone else in Fort Lauderdale who would like to walk through the yard just give me a call or send a message.

Attachments

• BMI bottom jobs close up.jpg
    BMI bottom jobs close up.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 67
  • TSG floating office aug 07 015.jpg
    TSG floating office aug 07 015.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 80
Don, if the weather makes you stop in Fort Lauderdale give me a call if you would like a tour of Bradford Marine where I work. Many boaters like to see the work being done to the megayachts that are here all the time.
My number is on my website, which is the same as my username.

Anyone else in Fort Lauderdale who would like to walk through the yard just give me a call or send a message.

That would be great If the weather is snitty, we will be in the ICW. We like to stay at the Los Olas Docks or mooring field. We could always put the dinghy over and run up the New River.

Great idea. Larry. Maybe Motion30 and Hopcar and any other forum members could meet us for lunch. It would be nice to put some faces to names. We will see what we can do to work it out.

Anyone else going to the show let us know, and please join in.

We haven't missed very many shows in the last few years. Plans are to go again this year. We stay on my bil's boat at the Miami Beach Marina. Usually have his tender in the water to get around in.
We'll watch the thread.

I may be down for the boat show as well, though I'm currently boatless, so I'd need some sort of waiver to attend. I would love to get together if it worked out.

Doug

I may be down for the boat show as well, though I'm currently boatless, so I'd need some sort of waiver to attend. I would love to get together if it worked out.

Doug

No waivers needed. All TFrs along with wives and SOs are welcome. Should be a great time.:thumb:

Posting photos can become addictive. :rolleyes:

Posting photos can become addictive. :rolleyes:

Mark, you're my hero.:D

These are especially for Mark. I believe Marin said we have no elevation down here. Well, they don't call them elevators for nothing. Here is looking from Biscayne into the Miami River.

img_119270_0_91f45e01be2d59928bc604d8347a8309.jpg

This is one of the Stiltsville houses in Biscayne Bay. Remember Miami Vice?

img_119270_1_cee0f0befd35353b340bf556b5348771.jpg

Last edited:
Moonstruck, this is as close as I can come to that:

img_119302_0_9c9add4883b28ac6a87dc08062a6684e.jpg

img_119302_1_a3c66361a17e1a015d9b9c0e82e19a04.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom