How many here boat with dogs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oscar the (sub) Standard Poodle in his sou'wester.

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20120623102419347.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20120623102419347.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 138
Here's my Maggie aboard the Ipecac (a 19' Workskiff), watching for whales and ADF&G Troopers. Whales and other wildlife were welcome but Troopers & Coasties received a stern warning. Maggie passed away last year but not before spending a night on the Kingfisher. I'm now without a dog for the first time in nearly 15 years, and it's killing me. I love all of your dogs and by association, each of you. Can't wait to greet those fuzzy faces (both canine & human!) in person. ;)

Maggie looked like a great dog. I can see why you miss her.

Wow that's some marina!!! Sounds like a great place to hang out and make friends with people who share your hobby.

Two thousand boats does not mean two thousand boaters. I would guesstimate that 75% of the boats in the two basins of this marina never move or are used only once or twice a year.

And as I think I mentioned in another thread this is not a particularly social marina. The commercial fishermen don't acknowledge the existence of the recreational boaters which is evidenced every time they run their big purse seiners, net boats, gillnetters, and crabbers through the harbor. There are three yacht clubs but outside of these most of the boaters we see are doing their own thing.

We are here on a year round basis and we almost never see even a couple of guys standing around talking other than on the dealer docks where the brokers are showing boats. People are polite and will lend a hand if requested but for the most part everyone sticks to themselves and their own boats.

Which is the way we like it.

Last edited:
Here's Pip our cruising schnoodle. That is 3/4 schnauzer and 1/4 poodle. Loves the boat

image-1744010500.jpg

for the most part everyone sticks to themselves and their own boats.

Which is the way we like it.

In this aspect you'd like S. FL then:huh:

I grew up in La. with southern hospitality, I've never been anywhere I felt as "isolated" as I do down here. Its like people go out of their way to avoid making eye contact let alone a congenial wave. Not everyone is this way, but an absurdly large portion is.
I'd love to have some boating buddies to head off somewhere for a weekend together (not all the time, we like our solitude too), but people seem to wall themselves off down here. Perhaps they were that way up north too, I dunno.:flowers:

I grew up in La. with southern hospitality, I've never been anywhere I felt as "isolated" as I do down here. Its like people go out of their way to avoid making eye contact let alone a congenial wave. Not everyone is this way, but an absurdly large portion is.
I'd love to have some boating buddies to head off somewhere for a weekend together (not all the time, we like our solitude too), but people seem to wall themselves off down here. Perhaps they were that way up north too, I dunno.:flowers:

Interesting enough I drew that same conclusion but not until after I moved from FL. I had been raised in Eastern OH. So when I moved to Sarasota the folks there were a lot like the folks at home. The reason, I later realized was, almost everyone there is from OH and MI. On the East coast of FL NY, NJ, MA. They act that way up north so they act that way when they live in the south.

I moved to Dallas TX and after being in TX, LA and OK for several years I made a trip back to FL. It was then that I realized that they people were unfriendly in FL as compared to TX. These were pretty much the same kind of folks that I had left there four or five years before, why the change. Well the truth was there was no change it was me and where I was living now that made it apparent.

I prefer the south for several reasons and one is the friendliness of the people. FL is not the south. It is on a map but the residents are not from the south, unless you go way in land and why live in FL and then pick Arcadia FL as your home. If you live in FL you want to live near the water and that is where the snowbirds live. They are not called snowbirds without a reason.

But truth be known, the snowbirds are a little harder to get to know but some can be right friendly once you do get to know them. Keep in mind it isn't so easy to get on the inside with the folks in Crowley if you have a Yankee accent. But once you do they become like family.

Just my observations.

Cook some food on the dock. When people walk by, offer them some. Offer them a drink. Have extra chairs around. Introduce yourself and ask about their boat or their dog.

We have the social group at our marina and we have the loners. And of course the people you never see.

JD If you're friends with some Crowley folk you are aware of how lonely I feel down here. The wife and I have discussed moving up North and if the stars align I think we'd like to be somewhere between Gulfport and Appalachiacola. Back home nobody locks their doors and no one knocks 'cept strangers (dogs usu let you know someone is there long before they make it to the porch). We lived back in La. for about a year after our wedding and being from "up North" Pa. she found it very odd how people would just stop by "without calling!". Sunday get togethers could range from 4 to 14 and it was OK if you hadn't planned or shopped for that many, they were still welcome. And it wasn't out of the ordinary to find some meat or fish in your freezer that someone had dropped off for you.

RW my dock is in my backyard so not much foot traffic to accost as they go by! The little time I've spent near marinas down here seem to follow the same behavior pattern. I live just down the canal from a basin that lots of boats travelling thru our area hit for overnights or storm refuge. I have approached several of these anchored vessels during our trawler hunt, in an effort to pick the brains of people who obviously used them as transport not just waterfront condos. Whereas I would gladly talk your ear off about my boating opinions/experiences if you stopped by, they were not welcoming to down right rude! In all instances it was dead calm and I didn't even approach their boat I just floated a couple arm's lengths away, and they were outside under their awnings in chairs. I always left a little chapped, and the missus says, "No rules that say they have to be friendly". While this is true it is slowly changing MY attitudes towards them.

Moonstruck, I am a member of that org. They, by and large, seem to be more of the martini and cocktail weenie in the yacht clubhouse set. I'm more of the Koolaid and Vienna sausage on the flybridge crowd. J/K They do tend to be the marina to marina trippers, though. Nothing wrong with that, we just like hanging out at anchor and "camping" for a few days. I've made a couple of inquiries but no responses there. There have been a couple who expressed interest in going to Lover's Key (I know you've done Pelican bay but check out L's Key next time over this way). I'd love to hang with other early MS'ers just to see what other's have done with them. That org. has a yearly G2G at one of the more exclu$ive resorts down here. I've been personally invited to attend, I being the small minded person I am, haven't gone as the pictures of past events don't seem like the crowd I have much besides boat brand in common with.

I know all about the coastal Fl demographics as we've lived in Clearwater (OH & Canada), Miami (North Havana, but I did feel more at home among my Cuban co-workers than elsewhere in Fl), Homestead (Port au Prince or Guadalajara), Key Largo (OH,Bahston), and now Cape Coral (NJ, NY,OH, VT). I just seem to always be saying I wish we could meet some nice normal folks to be friends with down here. We've thought of joining the Moose but we're both still 25+ years away from fitting in with that crowd. I've thought long and hard about it and after all the holidays hoopla I think I will put a posting on CL to see if there are others who would like to do some of the same cruising we want to do. The going up and saying Howdy sure isn't getting us anywhere.

I've been to Florida for work. I don't like flat, hot, humid, and on fire most of the time.:)

I'd love to have some boating buddies to head off somewhere for a weekend together ...

We have one set of boat-owning friends that we really enjoy boating with and that's Carey and his wife. But that's about it. We bought our GB partly as an escape from having to deal with people all day, every day. So with the one exception, about the last thing we want to do is drag more people along with us. We have a very small number of friends that we take or would take on the boat as guests and half of them live in Europe, the UK, and the eastern US, so we don't see them much.

But the social aspect of boating has little to no appeal at all to us at all. There's nothing I hate worse than somebody coming up to the boat on the dock and wanting to "talk boats" particularly when I'm busy doing something, be it working on the boat, reading, writing, or just staring out the window. I like our boat and what we do with it. But outside of that I have no interest in recreational boats at all. Commercial fishboats, particularly salmon trollers and lobsterboats (like Carey's), working boats, particularly tugs, and historic vessels--- WWII PT boats and Civil War ironclads, for example--- are a whole different story for me.

....people seem to wall themselves off down here. Perhaps they were that way up north too,

A girl I used to work with in television in Hawaii who still lives there and who I correspond with every now and then had a great observation when I asked if another of our former co-workers had changed much. Sara said, "People don't change. They just get more of the same." So I suspect you are correct.

Last edited:
I don't like flat, hot, humid, and on fire most of the time.

Which is why I said you'd likely enjoy the lack of socializing aspect of S Fl boating.

We have one set of boat-owning friends that we really enjoy boating with

This is exactly what we'd like, a few close friends, with more than boats in common. Its just difficult to find those souls down here. Unfortunately it seems that 90% of the people our age down here were bitten deeply in the ass by the housing debacle and are still too far upside down to have any disposable income for such an expensive hobby to get into.

We seldom cruise with other boats. We do invite friends along with us that we like to cruise with. Schedules seldom work out, and committee decisions on destinations don't always work out well. We do quite well cruising with no one else. We like to cover ground then settle in for some quiet time for 2 or 3 days. There are always people to stop in and visit along the way. We don't like schedules.

JD, I live in Florida. It is most assuredly the "South". We have a saying here that if you want to go south you have to go north and vice versa.

Go south: to fall or slide down; to decline; to fall in value, like "her golf game is going south."

Go south: to fall or slide down; to decline; to fall in value, like "her golf game is going south."

Keep thinking that way, Mark. Yeah, we're backwards, uneducated, poor, have few teeth, and no shoes. We eat what we can grow in the yard, and I don't even want to talk about southern women. So, save yourself, and live out there in economical California. Oh yeah, and the clear warm waters we have to cruise in suck too.

Don you'd have to travel with the sportfisher crowd to find folks with the boat and fuel coin to keep up:speed boat:

~~~There's nothing I hate worse than somebody coming up to the boat on the dock and wanting to "talk boats" particularly when I'm busy doing something, be it working on the boat, reading, writing, or just staring out the window.~~~

Funny that you are so much different here.

If you want privacy - wear earbuds and pretend you're listening to loud music on your ipod.

Funny that you are so much different here.

Excellent and very astute point.

I use TF as an entertaining diversion or break when I'm editing or on the road. A big part of my job as well as what I do outside of my job, is write. And writing is no different than tennis or playing the guitar--- the more you practice it the better you get. So this is a quick and entertaining place to play with the language and see what works and what doesn't and what I can get away with.

Editing in today's environment of digital effects involves a lot of short pauses during the process as the edit and effects computers render things out. The render times range from one minute up to ten or twenty if it's a complex effect or transition. During which there's nothing you can do except watch the progress bar creep across the screen. So having TF on the iPad is the perfect time filler.

When I'm directing on the road there are long periods of dead times in airport terminals, hotel rooms, van rides to remote locations, and so on.. So again TF provides an entertaining diversion. Some people use Facebook or Twitter to accomplish the same thing.

Good grief,I think the dog has been hijacked.

Bess and I had to say goodbye to our old buddy Tivo tonight. Not the absolute best boating dog in the world, but he was a damn good friend for eight amazing years! Goodbye little buddy.

206683_4645722954092_464816818_n.jpg
483147_4743656920766_1321772294_n.jpg

Last edited:
So sorry for the both of you, the more you love them the more it hurts.

And this one hurts more than any before. TiVo was a great buddy.

Oh, I'm so sorry for the loss of your good boy, Tivo. That 2nd pic where his face and muzzle have a touch of grey just melts my heart. I've always thought that people who truly grieve the loss of animals have hearts that make the world a better place. There's no doubt that Tivo loved you two just as much in return.

Sorry for the loss. Reading your post brought a tear to my eye thinking of some the good 'friends' in my life now gone. Find another to fill the void.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom