Anchor Size/Type

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rwidman

Guru
I just watched a guy anchor what I would guess is about a 28' sailboat with three cinderblocks on about a 3 to 1 scope in 10' - 16' of water on a tidal river. Yes, I really did.

My question - Are three cinderblocks enough? Personally, I would have used at least five cinderblocks and a 7 to 1 scope! ;)

According to my rangefinder, it's 147 yards off the marina dock so I'll check the next time I'm here (if it's still anywhere around).

Well Ron apparently the guy feels about ONE cinderblock about the way Marin feels about one Bruce.

If it was an all chain combination rode it may be sufficient only if the first 6 or so feet of chain is the extra heavy stuff found on the commercial boats in Alaska. Properly snubbed off of course ;)

These guys should have used the 3 blocks.

Attachments

• Picture 1032.jpg
    Picture 1032.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 131
I just watched a guy anchor what I would guess is about a 28' sailboat with three cinderblocks on about a 3 to 1 scope...
Excuse the antipodean ignorance, but what`s a cinderblock?
How many = a Bruce,a Super Sarca,CQR...

Think about it. If it is the standard dual hole block, they could dig in real well. If true cinder blocks as opposed to concrete, they weigh about 30 pounds each. Sounds like over kill. Also something my old man would have come up with, except he was a sophisticated anchorer and used old anvils as kellets.

Cinder+block+Cinder+block_e8d11b_2631795.jpg

Not sure a cinder block would fit well on the bow.

I can see it now: Stainless steel cinder block holders available at West Marine.

Cinder+block+Cinder+block_e8d11b_2631795.jpg

Three of these. No chain, just rope.

I called it a "sailboat" but it has no sail or mast. No motor either. The guy talked someone at the boat landing into towing it out into the river and then bringing him back. At least it's gone from the public boat landing after being tied up there for a month in everyone's way.

Last edited:
cinderroll anchor

I saw a toy trawler about 34feet with a unique anchoring system on his bow roller.......... It was a cinder block doubled and encased with chicken wire retrofitted with a roller ... I guess the idea was that when it hit the bottom it would roll allowing the cinderroll to dig into the mud ... he had painted it a dark blue to match his boat --- I talked with him and he was going to ask for "Dragon's Den" financial support for 20% of his future company--watch for it..... jp

I saw a toy trawler about 34feet with a unique anchoring system on his bow roller.......... It was a cinder block doubled and encased with chicken wire retrofitted with a roller
Tempted to ask if it was gal or ss chicken wire....
An improvisation which could get nicely stuck in mud. It`ll never catch on.

You never know when you need to improvise. Years ago we left the oars in the dinghy on the mooring to go racing in my sailboat. When we returned the oars were gone, replaced by 2 fence palings. We have a thoughtful class of thief round here.

"they weigh about 30 pounds each."

Not submerged.

I think the formula is depth of water divided by 3. So 10' divided by 3 =3.333. Thus he was in the range to anchor safely with 3 cinder block (as we call in our trade CMUs concrete masonry units) in normal conditions.:D:hide::speed boat:

Here's a photo of the HMS POS before he had it towed out and "anchored".

Attachments

• e 003.jpg
    e 003.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 127
On the other hand....... If the cinder block cluster has a self-burying action in the mud on the bottom of the river, it could act the same as a mushroom anchor. And mushroom anchors are used to anchor vessels like lightships and buoys in some pretty nasty conditions.

Not saying they would, just if.

Attachments

• Mushroom 1.jpg
    Mushroom 1.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Mushroom 2.jpg
    Mushroom 2.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 125
On the other hand....... If the cinder block cluster has a self-burying action in the mud on the bottom of the river, it could act the same as a mushroom anchor. And mushroom anchors are used to anchor vessels like lightships and buoys in some pretty nasty conditions.

Not saying they would, just if.

If you are trying to show a mushroom anchor, I'm not sure that's an anchor on the bow of the boat? But maybe it is, just pulled in tight?

Last edited:
If you are trying to show a mushroom anchor, I'm not sure that's an anchor on the bow of the boat? But maybe it is, just pulled in tight?

I guess it is (I answered my own question). Here's another lightship with a similar mushroom plus the traditional.

Attachments

• Lightship_Finngrundet.jpg
    Lightship_Finngrundet.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 125

It is, as you noted in your next post. And, somewhat surprising to me, the lightships, or at least the Columbia, only had the one. Given the storms they have to weather I initially thought they would have had two, bow and stern. But then it occurred to me that if these ships couldn't swing into the winds and waves they would be at serious risk of survival.

The mushroom anchor still perplexes me. I obviously don't understand its dynamics, but it seems to me based on just its appearance that it would have the least amount of holding under these situations. But it obviously has the most or they would not have used them in this application.

another alternative on the Portsmouth
Steve W

Attachments

• Portsmouth_with_mushroom_anchor.jpg
    Portsmouth_with_mushroom_anchor.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 96
Adjacent to the above wikipedia photo, it says:

Mushroom anchor

The mushroom anchor is suitable where the seabed is composed of silt or fine sand. It was invented by Robert Stevenson, for use by an 82-ton converted fishing boat, Pharos, which was used as a lightvessel between 1807 and 1810 near to Bell Rock whilst the lighthouse was being constructed. It was equipped with a 1.5-ton example.
It is shaped like an inverted mushroom, the head becoming buried in the silt. A counterweight is often provided at the other end of the shank to lay it down before it becomes buried.
A mushroom anchor will normally sink in the silt to the point where it has displaced its own weight in bottom material, thus greatly increasing its holding power. These anchors are only suitable for a silt or mud bottom, since they rely upon suction and cohesion of the bottom material, which rocky or coarse sand bottoms lack. The holding power of this anchor is at best about twice its weight until it becomes buried, when it can be as much as ten times its weight. They are available in sizes from about 10 lb up to several tons.

Deadweight anchor

This is an anchor which relies solely on being a heavy weight. It is usually just a large block of concrete or stone at the end of the chain. Its holding power is defined by its weight underwater (i.e. taking its buoyancy into account) regardless of the type of seabed, although suction can increase this if it becomes buried. Consequently deadweight anchors are used where mushroom anchors are unsuitable, for example in rock, gravel or coarse sand. An advantage of a deadweight anchor over a mushroom is that if it does become dragged, then it continues to provide its original holding force. The disadvantage of using deadweight anchors in conditions where a mushroom anchor could be used is that it needs to be around ten times the weight of the equivalent mushroom anchor.

The mushroom anchor works by weight. It sinks into the bottom and is hard to "suck" out. It wouldn't work on rocks.

As far as the cinderblocks acting as a mushroom anchor, it's possible that they might, but since this guy used only rope, not chain, the cinderblocks will chafe the rope and it will break.

So far, there have been no storms or strong winds, just the normal tidal currents. I just hope that when it breaks free, the tide is going out and the current will be away from my marina.

Thanks Mark and Ron for the explanations of how and why a mushroom anchor works.

Marin's pictures of the Columbia remind me to highly recommend the Columbia River Maritime Museum in Astoria, OR, where that boat is moored and those pictures taken. A destination that should be on any all-things-maritime lover's bucket list. A scenic and an easy day trip by car from Portland if you have limited time. Better yet, visit by boat!

Columbia River Maritime Museum, Astoria, Oregon | Maritime History of the Columbia River

Thanks Mark and Ron for the explanations of how and why a mushroom anchor works.

You're welcome. :)

I've seen mushroom type anchors marketed to those who fish from small boats (jon boats, mainly). I suspect they don't work well at all because they only weigh ten pounds or so and won't likely be in place long enough to become really effective.

The advantage (if there is one) is that they have no sharp edges to mar the boat. Another advantage is, they can be thrown much farther than a traditional anchor. ;)

I came across this today, anyone any idea what type of anchor it is supposed to be? anchor & water heater 007.jpg

anchor & water heater 006.jpg

Andy that's a take off on the very good Northill. Fishermen like the Northill so much in CB Canada they make their own or have them made in a welding/fab shop.
This imitation looks nice and seems to be SS but it looks a bit flimsy. It's pieces look more like Danforth pieces. And of course this type gets both flukes involved only in very oosy mud so the effective fluke area is small. On a real Northill the stock (or cross piece) is a small channel and when it engages the bottom the holding power probably does go up.

Yes. OFB has a Northill and in his waters it's not an unusual anchor. Here is a home made Northill I saw in Shawl Bay in the Broughton's last summer.

Attachments

• DSCF0492 copy.jpg
    DSCF0492 copy.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Here's a shot of the folding Northill anchor that was used on a lot of flying boats including the Boeing 314 Clipper.

Attachments

• Boeing 314 anchor.jpg
    Boeing 314 anchor.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 104
Yes that appears to be an excellent design Marin.

I was told the Northill was designed specifically for flying boats. Do you think or know that that's true?

Back
Top Bottom