Florida panhandle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon

Vessel Name
Isle of Skye
Vessel Make
Bruckmann trawler
Leaving Florence,AL tomorrow for the Gulf. Does anyone have any suggestions for an economical, secure place to leave "Isle of Skye" for 2 months, somewhere between Mobile and Apalachicola. I also need access to an airport.
Jon

Not sure if you want to come this far east, but Carrabelle (20 miles east of Apalach) is a great place to keep a boat.* We are at C-quarters marina, wet slip is $300 a month, including water and power (50a or 30a).* Slips are deep, the river offers good protection against all typical winter weather.* I'm down at my boat about 3 or 4 days a week, I'd be happy to keep an eye on yours as well.*

http://www.cquartersmarina.com/

The moorings is also in Carrabelle, better known and more money, they offer cable tv, but they are about $60 a month more.

Carrabelle has all you would likely need, a good, clean grocery store, a small and expensive marine store, library with internet access, A haulout facility, decent restaurants, all within easy walking distance.

Marine Systems is a full service diesel shop, they do good work and are right on the docks at c-quarters.

Tallahassee is 50 miles away, where there is a good airport.

Panama City also has a number of good marinas, we liked Sun Harbor when we passed through this Spring, it is inexspensive, and has fair slips.* Nice people, not great protection.* There is a small airport in PC, or you can drive to Tally, which is about 2.5 hours.* There are other marinas in PC as well.

Destin/Fort Walton are most likely going to be more expensive as they are more "resort" oriented.

Can't say too much about Pensacola, though there are a number of good Marinas there, and an airport.* Probably you could find something there for less than the Destin area.

Are you staging for a trip south?

Doug

Many thanks Doug,
Carabelle is probably too far east to meet our present short range plans, but should be ther in late February.
"Staging south..." Only in as far as we want to look in the rivers in the eastern panhandle then make our way up the ICW north.. but that's likely a moving target.
We've really enjoyed the Tennessee and Little T., but couldn't get thru the lock on the Clinch.
Jon

OK, Jon, good luck.* You might look at the yacht basin right across from the Pensacola beach boardwalk.* i went in there a few months ago when I was in P'cola for work, it seemed nice.

Doug

Hi,
Try Port St. Jo ship yard 850 229 9300 if you don't mind storeing her on the hard. Cheap and safe!
I had my boat there this summer for storm season . I just finished the Tenn-tom trip to Guntersville two weeks ago.
You could call me if you need more info.
Mark @ 256 348 2071
Have a good safe trip

Thanks Mark,
will call for sure as I get back to cell phone coverage.
Tenn-Tom great but glad of the Webasto heater.
Jon

Back
Top Bottom