Thread: Low visibility
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #126
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
I really like fog, particularly when I'm on shore in your situation, listening to the horns and watching the mist. I suspect it's one of those things that's ingrained into you as a wee baby. One of my earliest mental "visions" is lying in my bed or crib or whatever it was in our little fisherman's cottage off Bridge Street in Sausalito and watching the fog spill over the tops of the hills behind the the town. Lucky for me, I guess, for whatever reason I found the sight very pleasing, relaxing, and beautiful as opposed to scarey or spooky, and I've loved fog ever since.

I envy you your ability to experience this from your home. This is one reason we drive the 100 miles to our boat and back almost every weekend, so we can experience what you can from your living room.

My guess is that horns like Mark and GPB and even we have on our boats would be very much audible to you in the situation you are in. I don't question the ability of these horns to be heard over very long distances. But inside a boat, particularly with two diesels hammering away under one's feet, a sound that's very obvious outside can be totally masked inside.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote