View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #30
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Does anyone know what the general boat makeup of this forum population is?

Are there more 40 footers and up??? ...or not???

Around 40 feet is where a fully loaded trawler starts to get to that 30,000 number. Most of the 36's and 40's dry weights I've looked up were in the twenties...
You could put up a poll for your second question if you wanted to.

Our boat's emtpy weight is averaged as 28,000 pounds. Of course this will vary with the number of engines, the presence of a generator, and so on. When our boat was on the Travelift this past spring with full water tanks but only half fuel I asked the operator for the weight and he read it off as a bit over 30,000 pounds.

Between mid-1973 and 1988 American Marine used Howard Abbey's original molds for the GB36 and GB42. In the beginning, the boats' hulls were undoubtedly overbuilt, fiberglass being a relatively new material for the manufacturing of larger boat hulls.

The molds for the GB36 and GB42 were replaced in 1988 at which time both boats got a wee bit wider, a wee bit longer, and significantly taller. However I would not be surprised to learn that a twin-engine GB36 made with the new molds is lighter than our twin-engine boat, particularly since ours was among the first batch of fiberglass boats American Marine and Howard Abbey made.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote