whats the diference between a motor yatch and a trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is what it looks like installed.

Geared Up Systems

Don

I've seen this set up in picts and articles. They accomplished a Fancy Try to imitate twins... but No Cigar - IMHO! I best like straight drive twin screw (V-drive is my second choice). With twins, when in tight areas either engine can be accelerated in whatever gear necessary to whatever rpm needed to immediately adjust boat's position or speed. Also, to move a twin screw directly sideways with no forward or reverse motion twin screw is the ticket! :socool:

Move boat sideways to port (opposite for starboard):
-Turn rudder 80% +/- starboard
-Starboard idle rpm / port approx 150 rpm higher

-Simultaneously place starboard in forward and port in reverse (once in gear adjust rpm as required - higher equivalent rpm % difference, faster the sideways motion - to a point!) ;)

Take it slow: Gently move any boat laterally. Be careful to not get boat moving too quickly as stopping sideways motion takes considerably more rpm, shift, and steerage adjustment time than simply forward or reverse or circular rotation motion adjustments. Adjust rudder and shift/throttle controls as needed for current and wind conditions to move latterly away from dock. Practice makes perfect. I recommend practice in a completely open area... at least at first! :thumb:

Don I would have liked to have seen the post on the values of wood boats.

"Geared up Systems"
Exactly and I believe they got better (lower) fuel consumption. There were also some rather obvious short comings and some unexpected (for me) advantages. I think the cost effectiveness was best for re-poweres.

Don I would have liked to have seen the post on the values of wood boats.

"Geared up Systems"
Exactly and I believe they got better (lower) fuel consumption. There were also some rather obvious short comings and some unexpected (for me) advantages. I think the cost effectiveness was best for re-poweres.

we should start a thread on the topic of wood vessel advantages.
and that was the idea to gain better fuel economy wasnt it?

bfloyd45 said:

"we should start a thread on the topic of wood vessel advantages.
and that was the idea to gain better fuel economy wasnt it"

Fire away!

Don I would have liked to have seen the post on the values of wood boats..

Not on your life, Eric. I said it was inappropriate. They would run me out of here.:blush:

This weekend just passed, we took our Lotus out for an overnighter. Wow, how did we let it get so long. Anyway, pleasant as it was, I fished, and fished, and fished. I trolled, (instead of trawled), I used lures..I jigged...I popped..nothing. However, and I still don't know how, all I caught was somehow one line got tangled in the blades of my AirBreeze wind turbine genny, and I had to cut it free. Not when I cast it, no - it had been out a while and in a rod holder, that's the amazing part, how the line got up there round the blades I'll never know - maybe a seagull...? No trawler had worse luck fishing than mine, so I tell people who ask, "I have a trawler style coastal cruiser, but we don't go up the coast much, we stay in the bay, so if you like you could call it Bay Cruiser."

ah gaw on, yur just jealous cause you have a woody:)..right?

Pretty hard to misinterpret that. If you meant somethiing else I missed it because my crystal ball's in the shop this week. Next time write what you mean, not what you think we'll think you think we think you think you mean.

Last edited:
Marin, that's just plain circuitous, that is...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom