whats the diference between a motor yatch and a trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oil screw???.......:lol:.....geezzz...there are a few gas counter rotating twin screws out there and a few single oil screw twin engine vessels also. This can go on and on

Got any pictures of one of these???? :rofl:

Perhaps he's talking about the "geared up" drive system where there is a single engine on C/L geared to twin screws in typical locations. There was an article on a Mainship 34 that had been converted some years back. Haven't heard of it since so it must have failed in the market place. Since redundancy is the main reason to have twin screws twin screws w only one engine probably made people ask "what's the point?".

Got any pictures of one of these???? :rofl:

Here you go, the starboard engine of a pair of British Polar medium speeds driving a CP propeller via a combining gearbox.

You can see the gearbox in the background ...

Attachments

• MAIN-ENG.jpg
    MAIN-ENG.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 66
Perhaps he's talking about the "geared up" drive system where there is a single engine on C/L geared to twin screws in typical locations. There was an article on a Mainship 34 that had been converted some years back. Haven't heard of it since so it must have failed in the market place. Since redundancy is the main reason to have twin screws twin screws w only one engine probably made people ask "what's the point?".

Eric, I saw that boat at the Mainship factory in St. Augustine. In my opinion it was the worst of both worlds. It handled like a twin screw, but with the engine redundancy of a single screw. It had the economy of a single engine, but no prop protection as in a twin screw. I think the designer was focused on one aspect and forgot the others.

And who can forget GM's twin, tandem, and quad versions of the 6-71, all burning oil and driving a single screw?

Not to mention the USCG Balsam class, Juniper class, and Bay class boats.

All "single oil screw twin engine vessels"

Last edited:
And who can forget GM's twin, tandem, and quad versions of the 6-71, all burning oil and driving a single screw?

Not to mention the USCG Balsam class, Juniper class, and Bay class boats.

All "single oil screw twin engine vessels"

just never saw that designation....but I know the configurations you are mentioning...it's just the combination of descriptors that I'm not sure fits the way the vessel classifiers normally do it.

USCGC Balsam - Propulsion: 1 electric motor connected to 2 Westinghouse generators driven by 2 Cooper-Bessemer-type GND-8, 4-cycle diesels; single screw..

pretty sure when the "motor" is electric it's a different designation but can't remember...

It's a boat. "What kind of boat?" A power boat. "What kind of power boat?" (in my case) It's a 56 foot long cabin cruiser..

In my case I often say "fat, old & slow." - My ex thought I was speaking of myself.

...To refer to a Boat used for pleasure with NO trawling gear what so ever aboard as a “Trawler” is simply incorrect ...........

It's ony incorrect in your mind. And a few others, I suppose.

Language changes over time and you either get with the program or you roll over and fade away. A good example:

Fifty years ago, the word "gay" meant someone who was happy. If you are happy today, would you tell folks you are "gay"?

Technically, the big iron thing that propels a car in an "engine", not a "motor", yet every state has a "Deparment of Motor Vehicles" or some variation on that name. I've never seen a "Department of Engine Vehicles"!

So my boat is a "Trawler". It was built and marketed as a Trawler. When people ask what kind of boat I have, I tell them it's a "Trawler".

It's ony incorrect in your mind. And a few others, I suppose.

Language changes over time and you either get with the program or you roll over and fade away. A good example:

Fifty years ago, the word "gay" meant someone who was happy. If you are happy today, would you tell folks you are "gay"?

Technically, the big iron thing that propels a car in an "engine", not a "motor", yet every state has a "Deparment of Motor Vehicles" or some variation on that name. I've never seen a "Department of Engine Vehicles"!

So my boat is a "Trawler". It was built and marketed as a Trawler. When people ask what kind of boat I have, I tell them it's a "Trawler".

If EVERY "power boat" becomes designated simply as a "Trawler", all lumped into one category, then the line of definition/distinction becomes very blurry. There are different styles of boats, i.e. designation names for models and types of craft. IMO, "Pleasure Trawler" is more befitting our crafts' general style and usefulness/usability... than just using the term Trawler.... which by definition and history connotes the meaning of a working class fishing-trawler.

BTW... I'm often asked what size "motor" (and sometimes the word engine gets used) is in my 1967 Buick Wildcat muscle car! Also, the word "Motor" is used as an abbreviation of "Motorized" per Department of Motor Vehicles... because that govt department takes care of registration and other items for ALL types of motorized (not enginized) vehicles.

You have a Motor Boat - or an Engine Boat? Here again the word motor is an abbreviation of "Motorized".

What type of motors, or, what type of engines do you have in your boat? And: I have twin diesel motors, or, twin diesel engines in my boat. Therein for those sentence usages the two words become synchronized in meaning.

Last edited:
134 posts and still no consensus on how many "trawlers" can dance on the head of a pin?

:popcorn:

Who said Heavy Cruiser? This is a heavy cruiser.

Attachments

• heavy cruiser.jpg
    heavy cruiser.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 266
angus, see my post #118. I'll stand by that.

Don - When we successfully mechanize hydrocarbon, recyclable liquid fuel opportunities from efficiently separating atmospheric CO2 on a global scale (scientifically termed DAC, i.e. Direct Air Capturing)... our crafts could then be called "Screw-Oil Boats! :lol: :dance:

Don - When we successfully mechanize hydrocarbon, recyclable liquid fuel opportunities from efficiently separating atmospheric CO2 on a global scale (scientifically termed DAC, i.e. Direct Air Capturing)... our crafts could then be called "Screw-Oil Boats! :lol: :dance:

Can't wait for that to happen, Art. When it does I'll be dancing too.

Can't wait for that to happen, Art. When it does I'll be dancing too.

Don - Thanks for encouragement.. But... don't hold yer breath, Big Oil Companies have a VERY heavy foot print to get out from under! They basically own the U.S. and other govts' funding capabilities regarding the "New-Source" energy field. Cause, they own many, many of the top politicians. It will be interesting to see the fireworks in the energy field throughout the next 10 years as Climate-Change becomes a scary topic. Also, WTF is gonna happen with finance and markets when 1/1/13 passes by??? Annie get cha gun?!?! :facepalm:

dwhatty,
I didn't see how we could muddy the waters any more and then you did it. haha

I said "Heavy Cruiser". At a point in time when there seemed to be quite a

dwhatty,
A few Cabin Cruisers that were much heavier and slower (not to mention styled differently) than typical cruisers emerged and they started calling them Heavy Cruisers. Eventually the Trawler name started and stuck because many felt that w their Heavy Cruisers they liked the automatic label of being more seasoned, salty, knowledgable, experienced and intelligent than ORDINARY Cruiser skippers. I threw in "intelligent" just for fun. But a name for our boats that describes them (us) best is still "Heavy Cruiser".

Thanks for the pics of the BuCat. I'd post my pics w similar but for TC. See Our old Cars OTDE.

Greetings,
Mr. Art. would that be SOB's for short? I would think that would more aptly describe the captains rather than the vessels!

Here is what it looks like installed.

Geared Up Systems

134 posts and still no consensus on how many "trawlers" can dance on the head of a pin?

:popcorn:

If it's a real trawler, one. If it's a little toy plastic trawler like most of the boats on this forum, 35,253.5.

Those figures are direct from the US Department of Motor Vessels.

If it's a real trawler, one. If it's a little toy plastic trawler like most of the boats on this forum, 35,253.5.

Those figures are direct from the US Department of Motor Vessels.

ah gaw on, yur just jealous cause you have a woody:)..right?...well the fact is woodies are much superior to plastic in many areas

ah gaw on, yur just jealous cause you have a woody:)..right?...well the fact is woodies are much superior to plastic in many areas

Do you actually read the stuff on this forum? :). Look at my avatar. See the "grp" after the type of boat? That stand for "glass reinforced plastic." Our GB is from the first batch of fiberglass GB36s made, with a hull layup personally supervised by Howard Abbey who you can look up in the archives if you're interested. Abbey's contribution to American Marine's Grand Banks line of boats was revolutionary to say the least. He also helped Hatteras get started in fiberglass.

I like wood boats but I would never own one.

Last edited:
Do you actually read the stuff on this forum? :). Look at my avatar. See the "grp" after the type of boat? That stand for "glass reinforced plastic." Our GB is from the first batch of fiberglass GB36s made, with a hull layup personally supervised by Howard Abbey who you can look up in the archives if you're interested. Abbey's contribution to American Marine's Grand Banks line of boats was revolutionary to say the least. He also helped Hatteras get started in fiberglass.

I like wood boats but I would never own one.

as a matter pf fact i do. You have on more than one occasion pointed that out to us. Just that in that particular response you sounded like you were a wooden boat owner:)..Hatteras is a good boat...Marin, in my opinion GB are great, non better wood or glass. ..but i have found that a guy named Poole made a few very fine sailboats that still over thirty years after his death are know for there solid quality construction. He also made the Northeaster trawlers of a DeFever design. I think they may be equal to or exceed the quality of a GB in the companies short lifetime, 1974-834

Marin, when i answer a post i am answering that particular post not analyzing the poster and formatting a reponse accordingly......geez.....gota teach some people everything:flowers:

Last edited:

Deleted because of being inappropriate.:blush:

Back
Top Bottom