Mainship 40 as liveaboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkey

Veteran Member
I am considering a Mainship 40 to live aboard and do the Loop. I figure I would be on board for 2 or 3 years at least. Myself, a first mate and a medium size dog.

Wouldn't mind hearing from other 40 owners on their experience with this boat.

We went through the exact same exercise this fall, looking for a liveaboard for two. There were two Mainship 400's that we went over, under, and through.
We also looked at a number of other vessels in the same size range, and although we're still actually looking, we determined that the Mainship wouldn't work due to its lack of storage for personal stuff. (Especially in the master stateroom.)
In fact, although we much prefer the aft covered cockpit layout for good times at anchor, we ultimately decided that an aft cabin arrangement like the Grand Banks 42 offers far more personal storage space than any aft cockpit vessel would, the Krogen 42 being a possible exception.
But having said that, we sure liked the upper deck of the Mainship 400 - it's like having a penthouse on the water!
Good luck on your quest!

As a liveaboard for the past 3 years, I strongly second the aft cabin layout.

My first liveaboard was a Bayliner 3870 - good layout, but no salon area and the staterooms were side by side.

Next boat- Bayliner 4087 aft cabin. Excellent layout, 3 cabins (master in the rear) and storage galore.

Current boat- PT52 yachtfisher. 2 queen cabin suites huge salon and sun deck, seating for 6 in the galley. In short, it's perfect for us.

What does the boat have that you want or need...or does it have the room to add it.

For a looper....do you want a washer dryer or depend on finding them ashore???

Were are you going to stow bikes, fenders, fender boards, lot's of line, deck chairs, tables...grill...etc..etc...does the boat have nice exterior spaces for all that stuff/deck boxes????

Do you have enough below deck storage for spares, overflow clothes, sizeable pantry stowage???

You can loop in a 20 something pocket cruiser/sailboat...but what do you see as "stuff" you can't do without?

Answer just some of these questions before you "accept" or "reject" a vessel. I bought a 40 footer and now I wish I had looked at more 43-45 footers as the 40 is getting cramped already. Though a 40 Albin I think is a small 40 as she is only 36 at the waterline.

might be a little small for a full time live aboard. I have a 390 and the 400 was based on the 390. The saloon of the 400 is about 3' longer than ours but the staterooms are about the same size. If I was going to move in full time, I would take the second stateroom and turn it into a large closet. The outboard bunk would go and I would put in floor to ceiling drawers where the bunk was. Then going across the stateroom i would put in two levels of poles for hangers. That would take care of storage. Once that is done, it might work.
I am partial to the sedan style rather than an aft cabin ( although Pau Hana gets the best of all worlds with the yachtfish style) I have on friend that is a full time liveaboard with a Pacemaker 48 yachtfish. he closed in the lower station to make a huge pilot house and second saloon. Getting onboard with bags and packages is simple because of the cockpit and it is a great design for living aboard. Two other friends live aboard. One has a 58 Bertram and the other a Hatteras 60. Both are flush deck motor yachts with aft cabins. Getting on and off at your marina is easy because you can build permanent steps. When your on the go you have to hang a ladder off the side.
Which brings me to the sedan style like the Mainship. On floating docks, walk onto the swim platform, swing open the transom door and your on. With permanent docks and a 2' or 3' tide, step right onto the side and down one step and your on. In my opinion, ease of antry is almost as important as storage.
That said; the 40 might still be a little small for full time. If I were you and were seriously considering a liveaboard I would try to charter one for a week or two. I think there are some in the charter fleet in the Virgin Islands and there might be some in the Chesapeake.
Good luck
John
MS 390

"For a looper....do you want a washer dryer or depend on finding them ashore???

Were are you going to stow bikes, fenders, fender boards, lot's of line, deck chairs, tables...grill...etc..etc...does the boat have nice exterior spaces for all that stuff/deck boxes????

Do you have enough below deck storage for spares, overflow clothes, sizeable pantry stowage???

You can loop in a 20 something pocket cruiser/sailboat...but what do you see as "stuff" you can't do without?"

Stuff you cant do without is the key.

If you are willing to accept the concept that BOATING is the fun , and cruising is the game (not imitation dirt house living) , most any boat will do.

20ft 50ft , just the junk stored is the difference.

The dog will be a hassle unless you train it to relieve it self aboard. A MUST!!!!!

For the past 2 years I have captained a private yacht, I'm all about living in a small space. The yacht sold last month so it's time to go off and have some fun on my own...... Basically, I want to hang out on my own boat for a few years.

I have been looking for a while now. I don't want to break the bank, the Mainship 40 can be had for a fair price. I like the salon to flow out the stern and be at water level. Meaning I don't want to climb down a ladder to get to the swim platform, especially if I have the dog on board. Turning the second bunk room into a closet would be a must and I think answers the storage issue. Single or twins doesn't matter to me.

I don't want to climb down a ladder to get to the swim platform, especially if I have the dog on board.

This was the deal/no deal point on our recent purchase. If you've never had a cockpit you don't miss it. If you've had one, well only you can decide how valuable it is to you. My wife didn't really think the cockpit was a major thing to focus on, after using it for a while and then pulling up to a friend's Wellcraft with the not so high stern as an aft cabin boat in our dinghy, I don't think she'd ever sign off on a non cockpit boat.

For the past 2 years I have captained a private yacht, I'm all about living in a small space. The yacht sold last month so it's time to go off and have some fun on my own...... Basically, I want to hang out on my own boat for a few years.

I have been looking for a while now. I don't want to break the bank, the Mainship 40 can be had for a fair price. I like the salon to flow out the stern and be at water level. Meaning I don't want to climb down a ladder to get to the swim platform, especially if I have the dog on board. Turning the second bunk room into a closet would be a must and I think answers the storage issue. Single or twins doesn't matter to me.

Our boat has stairs from the salon down to the aft cabin, and then a door to the cockpit- not exactly what you describe, but close.

We really liked the 42' Uniflite's interior and think the Chris Craft 480 Catalina to be way up on our list of "speedboats". My tastes tend to run a little off course though, I also like the 44 Thompsons Just wish they had a more traditional bow profile and more freeboard!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom