Rudder designs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eric, Thanks for response and suggestion. I will measure... I always assumed 35 degrees was a universally agreed upon figure. Funny, because "question everything" is my moto.

Brooksie, If your W36 is the same as mine was it has a Wagner T-2 hydraulic tiller that turns 45 degrees. Bill

The stock rudder that came with my 35 Bruno & Stillman was disappointing to say the least. It was too small and not enough balance. Made a large SS rectangle rudder with a balance that is 28% of of the rest and significantly bigger. The swing was increased to 45 degrees. End result is that it steers very nicely from 6 to 18 knots. Close quarters manuvering at 6 knots is a dream and you can actually steer the boat going backwards as a result of the larger size.

Ted

Maybe if you had "hunting" issues with both the Bruno and the Willard, the auto pilot might be the place to look. Both hulls had many built so others would be dealing with the same problem.

Right: No issues with the Willard. But the Bruno did have a poor rudder as delivered, thus the hunting and the quest for a rudder with less deadband.

The stock rudder that came with my 35 Bruno & Stillman was disappointing to say the least. It was too small and not enough balance. Made a large SS rectangle rudder with a balance that is 28% of of the rest and significantly bigger. The swing was increased to 45 degrees. End result is that it steers very nicely from 6 to 18 knots. Close quarters manuvering at 6 knots is a dream and you can actually steer the boat going backwards as a result of the larger size.Ted

Much the same result after replacing my rudder but by using an airfoil section on it, I introduced the constant "hunting" on autopilot so I moved on to try other shapes.

Brooksie, If your W36 is the same as mine was it has a Wagner T-2 hydraulic tiller that turns 45 degrees. Bill[/QUOTE]

Mine had chain and draglink steering when I got it but I added hydraulic later. Never had any low speed steering issues so never tried 45 degrees and the rudder stops were all in place at 35. Mine is a 1971 thus the chain & draglink steering.

Brooksie, If your W36 is the same as mine was it has a Wagner T-2 hydraulic tiller that turns 45 degrees. Bill

Sorry, I misread & misspoke. My Willard does have Wagner T-3 steering and is a '62. I never measured the steering angle. Isn't it built into the T-3 at 35 & 35?

Last edited:
When I designed the hydraulic steering system for my 42 ft. steel tug I learned that the steering effort at 45 degrees is abiut double what it is at 37 degrees. Had to increase ram size etc.

Frank

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom