charger-inverter combo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a big fan of Newmar Power System products.. their chargers are very reliable. Their customer service is first class.
Disclaimer: I may be biased as I sell a lot of Newmar products.. I don't get returns.
+1. I have an original equipment old Newmar charger which I assume to be a ferrous-resonant type, unlike my multi stage "smart" solar controllers. Works fine, though I only use it when on board.

If you are always snuggled up to 30 or 50 amp service you're right - you don't need it. Obviously it doesn't charge the batteries while it is discharging them. Google load sharing. I have no interest in typing out an explanation.

You're going to post something and then decline to back it up? :rolleyes:

The better chargers will alow the batts to take up a load from a weak power source.

Shore line , noise maker , whatever.

Starting air cond from a properly sized noise maker will require perhaps 1/2 secomd of make up current, then the unit goes back to charging.

Running the air cond and the washing machine from a 15A dock cord requires good batteries , and the charge will take place as soon as the load drops below the 15A setting.

This is one form of load sharing , but my favorite is a priority relay used for load sharing.

EG ther HW heater is secured as the air cond starts .

This works great and the relay is only $60 or so.

You're going to post something and then decline to back it up? :rolleyes:

Your personal lack of understanding isn't my problem.

FF has already explained it for you. Load sharing inverters sync to the grid and monitor power use against whatever setting you have allowed for the shorecord. When use exceeds what is available the inverter picks up the difference. When use drops below what is available the batteries get recharged.

Your personal lack of understanding isn't my problem.

FF has already explained it for you. Load sharing inverters sync to the grid and monitor power use against whatever setting you have allowed for the shorecord. When use exceeds what is available the inverter picks up the difference. When use drops below what is available the batteries get recharged.

You couldn't have just posted that without the insult? :banghead:

Maybe your recent statement "I am an electronics technician also" lead readers to think that load sharing would be part of an electronics technician's vocablulary and knowledge base?

It is not exactly a new concept, even at the low end of the recreational vessel inverter market.

Maybe your recent statement "I am an electronics technician also" lead readers to think that load sharing would be part of an electronics technician's vocablulary and knowledge base?

It is not exactly a new concept, even at the low end of the recreational vessel inverter market.
Does everyone become a jerk when they log on to this forum or are they naturally that way? :banghead:

I understand the concept of load sharing and the concept of load shedding. In my work, I never came upon a system for load sharing. I have not seen it on a boat and am asking how it would be done and why it would be needed.

FF's idea of load shedding (not sharing) by using a relay to disconnect one load when another, higher priority load comes on line is fine but it shouldn't be necessary with shore power or even a proper genset. On my boat, on inverter power, I cannot run the microwave oven and the coffee maker at the same time. That's a form of load shedding, done manually.

If you can be civil about it, please demonstrate your vast knowledge of the subject of load sharing as it applies to a boat. If not, just let it go. :nonono:

No need for you to be a jerk about it, just look it up and learn. It shouldn't be too great a stretch for an "electronics technician" and the exercise will enhance your knowledge of power management systems and electronic controls as they apply to boats of all sizes.

Does everyone become a jerk when they log on to this forum or are they naturally that way? :banghead:

I understand the concept of load sharing and the concept of load shedding. In my work, I never came upon a system for load sharing. I have not seen it on a boat and am asking how it would be done and why it would be needed.

FF's idea of load shedding (not sharing) by using a relay to disconnect one load when another, higher priority load comes on line is fine but it shouldn't be necessary with shore power or even a proper genset. On my boat, on inverter power, I cannot run the microwave oven and the coffee maker at the same time. That's a form of load shedding, done manually.

If you can be civil about it, please demonstrate your vast knowledge of the subject of load sharing as it applies to a boat. If not, just let it go. :nonono:

The topic intrigued me, so I did a little 10 minute Google investigation.

Some units are capable of doing load shedding and load sharing

Many of the descriptions for this are related to solar charging, and utility power grid. Many solar units are also capable of selling the excess power back to the utility.

Most common and easiest device to load shed is an electric hot water heater.

Usually load sharing is done for something like air conditioner start-up, while other devices, like the refrigerator, freezer, icemaker, dishwasher, microwave and clothes washer are running. Also don't forget about the myriad of lights, pumps and entertainment devices on board.

When power demand increases, load shed devices will be turned off. Then the charger/inverter unit goes into load sharing mode, as power demand increases, the charger circuit shuts down, and the inverter cycles on to supply makeup power. As demand decreases and makeup power is no longer needed, the inverter idles, and the charging circuit comes back on-line. When the load reduces enough, the shed load (water heater) will come back on-line.

The topic intrigued me, so I did a little 10 minute Google investigation.

Some units are capable of doing load shedding and load sharing.

See how easy that was Ron.

My Freedom 25s are capable of load shedding to the extent that they will curtail their charging draw depending on what power I have indicated is available. That's actually pretty handy because at least briefly the Hearts will pull a heavy load if they see a discharged battery bank and available shore or noisemaker power. Sometimes I'd rather use limited shore power to warm the hot water tank or make supper before I let the Heart recharge the batteries.

I believe it is the SW24 series of Heart inverters that has load sharing ability so if you have a 24 volt house bank and can find one of them they would be an excellent and likely reasonably priced choice.

Wow...what an informative thread...even the part about inverters, chargers and load sharing...but that stuff I already knew...:thumb::rofl:

Why do you need an inverter?

Coffee? Easily done on our propane stove.

Toast? As above.

Computer? We have 2 with 10 to 18 volt DC power supplies. Intel quad 4 motherboards, and DC powered displays.

Television? Maybe, but we don’t watch TV on the boat.

Charging portable devices? Don’t know, but in our case we have only one cell phone, but have three batteries for it. We keep them charged when running the gen set or at the dock.

Battery charging? We use 2 NewMar chargers on each bank. They work together well with each putting out 25 amps. We carry a spare just in case, and every year or so I rotate the chargers. Never had a problem.

Mike

I don't know that they are or aren't, but unlike a new car dealership, I've never had a West Marine employee push me to purchase anything. They seem very laid back and mostly helpfull, even to the point of looking up competitor's phone numbers for me when they didn't have what I needed.

I agree. A good friend of ours worked for a number of years in the Bellingham West Marine. He got an impressive employee discount but he did not get a commission on anything he sold including electronics.

We prefer shopping in the locally-owned marine stores in our area-- Fisheries Supply, LFS, Redden Marine, etc.-- and so rarely buy anything from West Marine. But it's not because their employees are less than stellar.

and so rarely buy anything from West Marine. But it's not because their employees are less than stellar. __________________

Could it be the Worst Marine pricing SUCKS?

Back
Top Bottom