Trollers - the real ones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's the same video I put in the mistakenly labeled Columbia River Bar thread the other week.

Wonderful link Mark.

Assuming those working trollers were from Oregon I see they have ground tackle just like the Alaskan boats.

I always like listening to GB.

This troller is wider than it looks in the pic.

I've talked to him several times. Notice his extra heavy chain close to the anchor and that the bulk of his chain is much lighter/smaller but probably heavier than most of us would use.

Lots of these old wood fishing boats are well maintained and have lasted for a very long time. I'm guessing Rauma was built in the late 40s.

Attachments

• DSCF0732 copy.jpg
    DSCF0732 copy.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 180
This troller is wider than it looks in the pic.

I've talked to him several times. Notice his extra heavy chain close to the anchor and that the bulk of his chain is much lighter/smaller but probably heavier than most of us would use.

Lots of these old wood fishing boats are well maintained and have lasted for a very long time. I'm guessing Rauma was built in the late 40s.

Eric: She was built in 1929.

Coast Guard Vessel Documentation

Data found in current database.Vessel Name:RAUMAUSCG Doc. No.:228211Vessel Service:COMMERCIAL FISHING VESSELIMO Number:*Trade Indicator:Coastwise Unrestricted, Fishery, RegistryCall Sign:WDA3659Hull Material:WOODHull Number:*Ship Builder:JOHN FLEMYear Built:1929
Length (ft.):35.7Hailing Port:SITKA AKHull Depth (ft.):4.9Owner:pATRICK TYNER
204 SPRUCE ST P.O. BOX 541
CRAIG, AK 99921Hull Breadth (ft.):10.5Gross Tonnage:10Net Tonnage:6Documentation Issuance Date:June 30, 2004Documentation Expiration Date:July 31, 2013Previous Vessel Names:No Vessel Name Changes Previous Vessel Owners:PATRICK TYNER
JOSEPH T SARGENT​

Holy cow Larry I hope he dosn't see this ... he may not like being stripped bare in public. I wouldn't mind but everybody's different about that sort of thing.
I am amazed how you can look up such personnel information. I was born long before computers an am behind the curve.

Let's see if you can find out how old this one is. Not a troller though.

Attachments

• STH71222 copy.jpg
    STH71222 copy.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 177
Let's see if you can find out how old this one is. Not a troller though.

Vessel Name: MIDDLETON
Vessel Service: COMMERCIAL FISHING VESSEL
Ship Builder: JOHN VAN DER WEL
Year Built: 1923
Length (ft.): 48.4
Hull Depth (ft.): 8.3
Hull Breadth (ft.): 14.7
Gross Tonnage: 35
Net Tonnage: 24

Eric, All documented vessels are on web databases.

Spy,
Yes I suspected as much.
I see Middleton is old and she looks it. Her stern is more like an old sailing ship than a fish boat. Very narrow wheelhouse and judging from the curve of the stem near the WL she may look a lot like a sailboat underwater. 1923 ... Yup the old wood boats can last a long time if cared for.

I have heard Lloyds of London says the life of a wood boat is indefinate . Every piece can be replaced without losing the integrity of the boat . I owned a troller built in 1946 (Victoria BC) . Pacific Mutual Marine Insurance which was a co-op for commercial fisherman had stated this to me . Can't remember what they said about steel , aluminum and glass .

I have heard Lloyds of London says the life of a wood boat is indefinate . Every piece can be replaced without losing the integrity of the boat . I owned a troller built in 1946 (Victoria BC) . Pacific Mutual Marine Insurance which was a co-op for commercial fisherman had stated this to me . Can't remember what they said about steel , aluminum and glass .

Unless it sinks in to deep water or crashes too hard on rocks or burns to waterline or explodes to smithereens or gets run over by a tanker, or, or...

Those are all definite possibilities! :rofl:

You guys do know that trollers and trawlers are two entirely different things, right?

Art ,we used to say there are two types of skippers out there . Those that have hit the beach and those that haven't yet . We had far more claims from fire than any other cause . I was only talking about integrity of the vessel due to age , not everything else that could destroy a boat .

Trollers use hooks for tuna , cod and salmon . Catch them one at a time vs dragging a net for ground fish and shrimp on a trawler . Then we have cruising trawlers . I posted as this this thread was discussing fishing boats .

Wood boats are great...till they are not...then they are the least reliable of all the hull materials.

I personally hoisted more fisherman out of the water than I cared to as the wooden Eastern Rig Fishing Fleet on the East Coast slowly disappeared.

Not because wood is a bad thing...it just cant be neglected one tiny bit.

Wood boats are great...till they are not...then they are the least reliable of all the hull materials.

I personally hoisted more fisherman out of the water than I cared to as the wooden Eastern Rig Fishing Fleet on the East Coast slowly disappeared.

Not because wood is a bad thing...it just cant be neglected one tiny bit.

Not true. Any hull material can suffer , from age, lack of good maintenance , and a poor skipper. Hull Material has very little to do with it.

Be that wood , steel, FRP, Aluminum, or rock.

Not true. Any hull material can suffer , from age, lack of good maintenance , and a poor skipper. Hull Material has very little to do with it.

Be that wood , steel, FRP, Aluminum, or rock.

And this is based on?:confused::confused:

Possibly the phase of the moon:D

Steel and wood must be maintained constantly.

Last edited:
Art ,we used to say there are two types of skippers out there . Those that have hit the beach and those that haven't yet . We had far more claims from fire than any other cause . I was only talking about integrity of the vessel due to age , not everything else that could destroy a boat .

Yo wtc

Be not flummoxed by elbow-to-rib pokes you'll get in TF. There is plenty meaningless banter that goes back and forth... "mostly" meant in fun.

Meaningful worthwhile items are also discussed... at times ad nauseam.

For many of we too often posters TF is a break in our busy day that offers capability to banter/chat with other boat worthy marine addicts. Eclectic international group to say the least!

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the ride. Seas can get rough but mostly calm prevails. OTDE is usually turmoil. Lots O' BS There!

Happy TF Daze! - Art :dance:

And this is based on?:confused::confused:

Possibly the phase of the moon:D

Steel and wood must be maintained constantly.

???????? Really the phase of the moon?
Any material "must " be maintained constantly is my point !

Today we are seeing issues with old FRP pleasure cruisers in the market that we experienced with wood boats. "issues be the different but to suggest they are a non issue ?

Too suggest it is the Hull material just makes me go HMMMMMM.

Take a look at this thread at some of the old wood boats that have a history of care yet I am the guy basing his words on the phase of the moon ?

Really .

Sorry guys I guess I am just to old and grumpy for this forum.

Have a nice day .

???????? Really the phase of the moon?
Any material "must " be maintained constantly is my point !

Today we are seeing issues with old FRP pleasure cruisers in the market that we experienced with wood boats. "issues be the different but to suggest they are a non issue ?

Too suggest it is the Hull material just makes me go HMMMMMM.

Take a look at this thread at some of the old wood boats that have a history of care yet I am the guy basing his words on the phase of the moon ?

Really .

Sorry guys I guess I am just to old and grumpy for this forum.

Have a nice day .

Yo, OFB - You can't be too old. You can be too grumpy. One can't be changed... one can! :thumb:

Happy Change-It Daze! - Art :dance: :speed boat:

The only hull material supperior to wood is aluminum.

If comparing is to be done comparing of fully maintained or new boats finds wood to be better or supperior to others except in puncture resistance. If you're going to run into a rock basically all materials are better than a carvel planked wood boat. But then that's not true of plywood or composite wood/epoxy FG boats. They are almost always lighter and stronger than production FG boats.

People often don't like wood boats for two reasons.
1. They expect a boat to last a long time w almost no maintance.
2. They think all old things, materials or methods are inferior to later developed things. Their feelings are based on attitudes ... not reality.

Last edited:
While true that all may suffer bad management....usually none are catastrophic as popping a plank....

Just basing it on my experience of 35 years of marine emergency response.

While true that all may suffer bad management....usually none are catastrophic as popping a plank....

Just basing it on my experience of 35 years of marine emergency response.
Yes always was the thing I worried about the most as I have seen some pretty pointed boat nails come out of a hull being refastened . Always carried a gallon of bear **** or goop as we called it , copper nails , 6 foot square of each of the following , irish felt , lead sheeting and a sheet of 1/4 plywood . Plan was to drive the boat up on shore , brace under guards so it stays upright and patch hole with the materials mentioned . This was of course to patch a hole , not a popped plank as you would be lucky to get your mayday out and may be offshore at the time .

You guys do know that trollers and trawlers are two entirely different things, right?

Very true! Have you read "The Troller Yacht Book" by George Buehler? I read it many years ago, primarily because I fell in love with his Diesel Duck designs for ocean cruising. Here's a description of the book from Amazon:

When boat designer George Buehler realized that he no longer wanted to cruise the world's oceans under sail, he decided to create a line of powerboats that sailors could love and anyone could afford. For inspiration, he turned to the light, lithe salmon trollers of the Pacific Northwest, among the most efficient, seaworthy, and beautiful powerboats ever built.

Back
Top Bottom