whats the diference between a motor yatch and a trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
known to slip on a dress for special occasions.

I dunno---- He married a pretty foxy lady, a young Creole girl named Louise-Eleonore Broudou who he met when he was stationed on what is today Mauritius.

Oh? "Corporations are people"... aren't they, as per Mitt Romney contends, who you may have voted for... seeing as in another thread you were sure to mention you did not vote for Obama! :whistling:

Art--- You have long since mastered the art of the bizarro-world post :), but this one takes the cake. What the hell has Mitt Romney-- who I didn't vote for actually---- have to do with the subject of boat personalities or lack thereof?

Art--- You have long since mastered the art of the bizarro-world post :), but this one takes the cake. What the hell has Mitt Romney-- who I didn't vote for actually---- have to do with the subject of boat personalities or lack thereof?

Don't you remember Mitt's early in campaign corporate-defense foobah when he told questioners who were condemning corporate tax loopholes and rates that "Corporations are People To”? Therefore, in abstract, Mitt inferred human personalities onto Corporations. Vaguely similar to placing personality traits on other non-living objects... such as cars or planes. guffaw, guffaw, guffaw... :D

That Said: Of course "female" boats always have their very own personalities. :D Male boats... not so much so! :facepalm: lol

And, you didn't vote for either Obama or Romney... hummmmm :confused::confused::confused:

Art said:
;and, you didn't vote for either Obama or Romney...

I was out of the country for the whole election so didn't get to vote for anybody this time around. Not that it would have made a lick of difference as none of the important races were very close in the end.

Good catch, NS! I never noticed that before. On the TF app, the red bar at the top of the first page loaded says "Tawler Forum".
So no dwarfs need apply...?

Nice try. It's a friggin' boat fer Christ's sake. The next thing I know you'll be waxing eloquently about the feelings of the manhole cover over the storm drain at the bottom of my street.:)
PS--- Jean-Francois de La Pérouse was a guy.
and previously said....
Sorry, but this whole "she" business and "boats have personalities" is, in my book, total nonesense. With the exception of the fuel on board, which is volatile, a boat is a collection of totally inert, uncaring, un-alive chemicals, wood, and metal. Even the wood is dead by the time it gets put on a boat.
Anthromophising this collection of inanimate materials is totally meaningless. Like the re-naming ceremonies. You think the boat gives a hoot in hell what name is painted or stuck on it?

Why Marin...that's verging on what one might almost call, nautical nihilism....
nihilistic - definition of nihilistic by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Last edited:
Speed is the biggest issue.....motor yachts have planning hulls, trawlers do not

Don't you remember Mitt's early in campaign corporate-defense foobah when he told questioners who were condemning corporate tax loopholes and rates that "Corporations are People To”? Therefore, in abstract, Mitt inferred human personalities onto Corporations. Vaguely similar to placing personality traits on other non-living objects... such as cars or planes. guffaw, guffaw, guffaw... :D

Since corporations are owned by people, people are affected by corporation tax rates. If you have any investments or your retirement account is invested, most likely you are a part owner in one or more corporations.

Mr. Romney's mistake was underestimating the stupidity of the electorate.

Since corporations are owned by people, people are affected by corporation tax rates. If you have any investments or your retirement account is invested, most likely you are a part owner in one or more corporations.

Mr. Romney's mistake was underestimating the stupidity of the electorate.

Mitts mistake, same as the mistake of delegates who chose him to run for office, was underestimating his own [Mr. Romney's] stupidity.

You guys are going to get this discussion moved to off topic as it has nothing to do with the discussion. :nonono:

I agree with most of the definitions and replies, especially that high heels can be worn on a yacht as we wear high heels on the Eagle. :D For some it’s a toy, for some its relaxation and for some it’s a home. The best definition I like is Pleasure trawlers are boat the look like trawlers, which is dependant on the person’s idea of what a trawler looks like. :confused:

The biggest difference is the appearance/look of the super structure as some mfg use the same hull and running gear on the sleek boats/cruisers and the trawlers. Its important to look further then what the supper structure look like as to what the boat really is. :socool: To me 95% of the pleasure trawlers are not trawler beyond the super structure. :hide: The important thing is to put the boat up against/side by side what you consider a true trawler and see how it compares. The Eagle even though she has never drag/pulled nets as about as close to a pleasure trawler and you are going to get. :thumb:

Greetings,
More important than WHO is Mitt Romney is WHY is Mitt Romney!

Even more important is that he is now perfectly irrelevant - not that he was ever relevant to anything or anyone other than those who stood to make a fortune if he had been elected.

Phill,
Yes of course. TC our bad.

The real boat can only be seen below the water line.

You guys are going to get this discussion moved to off topic as it has nothing to do with the discussion. :nonono:

I agree with most of the definitions and replies, especially that high heels can be worn on a yacht as we wear high heels on the Eagle. :D For some it’s a toy, for some its relaxation and for some it’s a home. The best definition I like is Pleasure trawlers are boat the look like trawlers, which is dependant on the person’s idea of what a trawler looks like. :confused:

The biggest difference is the appearance/look of the super structure as some mfg use the same hull and running gear on the sleek boats/cruisers and the trawlers. Its important to look further then what the supper structure look like as to what the boat really is. :socool: To me 95% of the pleasure trawlers are not trawler beyond the super structure. :hide: The important thing is to put the boat up against/side by side what you consider a true trawler and see how it compares. The Eagle even though she has never drag/pulled nets as about as close to a pleasure trawler and you are going to get. :thumb:

I agree with you - Your BOAT is as close as it comes to definition of what could be called a "Pleasure" Trawler! Albeit, still being simply a Pleasure Cruise Boat!

And, you are soooo correct, re some builders using same hull design for various models under their brand name. That said is one reason why I don't refer to our Tolly tri cabin as a Trawler. Cause its hull is same as the Tolly sedan sport fisher, with a lot more comfort and deck room added via superstructure and interior design alterations... but, it’s even more seaworthy due to substancially improved amidships low center of gravity engine, gen set, and fuel tank placements; as well still being a fast planning boat when desired to pull away from the harness of hull-speed.

Tollycraft only built one model that I believe could be somewhat referred to as a "Pleasure" Trawler. It was factory model named “Tolly Costal Cruiser”, called “37’ Trawler” in 1977, and “37’ Long Range Cruiser” in 1978... produced for two years, few sales, then disbanded. Visit “Model selection” at http://www.tolly-classified.com/class3.html See picture here for one in real life.

She has a fly bridge to rear above enclosed pilot house and Portuguese bridge forward of pilot house.

Attachments

• Tolly Coastal Cruiser CCF05162010_00000.jpg
    Tolly Coastal Cruiser CCF05162010_00000.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Even more important is that he is now perfectly irrelevant - not that he was ever relevant to anything or anyone other than those who stood to make a fortune if he had been elected.

Correct-O-Peel!!! Good thing Mitt was to stupid to fully realize what he needed to say and how he needed to act in order to get enough election winning votes. That man is for one thing only - purchase and burden with debt; then liquidate every profitable portion to make gobbbbs of $$$$ for himself and his "friends". I'm not at all saying that President Obama is correct in much of what he does... far from it, and I wish we had a better leader... but, I am saying that Romney and his cronies would likely have financially raped the USA... even more so than what is/has been done! We (U.S.) are in one hell of a financial fix!! :nonono:

That boat in your post # 76 is a Tollycraft!

Style wise things don't match up too good. I like the "cruiser" style w fwd pilothouse much better. Can you post a pic of one of them?

THREAD CREEP!

Last edited:
I grew up with Tollycraft as it was mfg in Longview/Kelso WA where I grew up, and I must have toured the plant at least a hundred times. I like that Tolly design as we like a pilot house . At the time they were a little out of our price range as there was very few. I was sorry to hear when they went out of business. I had heard many of the molds where bought/shipped to Mexico, so I figured we would start seeing boats, but as far as I know that never happened. :ermm: They originally where know for samller boat under 30 then 40 ft, and thin the finally years the last there followers dropping the small boats and for the laeger 40+ ft boats. You can see the models by years.

Anyway, being born in Ocean Falls BC, the only way to get there was by ship, and local transportation was by boat, and the growing up in Longview/Kelso on the Cowlitz and Colombia river I have been dreaming that some day owning a large boat. So 30 years later the dream finally came true thanks to my wife.:dance:

Eric if you click on http://www.tolly-classified.com/class3.html all the modles by year will come up.

Last edited:
That boat in your post # 76 is a Tollycraft!

Style wise things don't match up too good. I like the "cruiser" style w fwd pilothouse much better. Can you post a pic of one of them?

THREAD CREEP!

Eric - I recommend you visit the Model Section at http://www.tolly-classified.com/class3.html Punch on the years listed... picts of nearly every Tolly model is available. I don’t have a pict for what you request in Tolly design. You can also go to Yachtworld and see inside/outside picts as well as equip lists for many Tolly of most sizes and models.

"Correct-O-Peel!!! Good thing Mitt... "

:facepalm: TC Please take it to OTDE.

Last edited:
We? Really? Pics or it didn't happen (smile)

I guess it never happened then if a picture is required? :angel: When moored on Lake Union we had many a dock/marina/boat parties. What happens in the city stays in the city! :thumb: Another reason we moored on Lake Union as there was usually some place to go and due. Seattle is a very liberal/open minded city. That is why I have said many time, I am a metro sexual, yuppie as I am comfortable with my female side. :eek: But that is really an off topic discussion. :D :socool: So it never happened! ;)

I always wondered how you could call something a "trawler" that didn't trawl. Would you call someone a baker who didn't bake, or a painter who didn't paint?

We were waiting for a bridge opening once, a minute or two before the guy was going to open, a woman gets on the radio and announces "this is the southbound trawler___ and we'd like you to hold your opening till we get there", or words to that effect. In the Carolinas, as most places, a trawler is a commercial fishing vessel and many bridges will open for them on demand or otherwise try to accommodate them, outside of any schedule formal or informal. So the tender said, "I haven't heard that name before captain, what was the name of your trawler, you new around here?" Gal says, yes, this the trawler____" So he says, ok captain, we'll wait. Well finally way down the channel this shiny toy boat/plastic fantastic/cabin cruiser what have you comes around the bend, a mile or so away. Tender says "____ is that you that just came around the corner?" Woman affirms. "Then this bridge is going up right now cause that ain't no trawler!" Guy is notoriously ornery and she really got his goat. We went through and sure enough he lowered that thing right behind us.

By the way Marin, one of the nicest boats we ever chartered was a beautiful 49' Grand Banks Motoryacht.

I always wondered how you could call something a "trawler" that didn't trawl. Would you call someone a baker who didn't bake, or a painter who didn't paint?

We were waiting for a bridge opening once, a minute or two before the guy was going to open, a woman gets on the radio and announces "this is the southbound trawler___ and we'd like you to hold your opening till we get there", or words to that effect. In the Carolinas, as most places, a trawler is a commercial fishing vessel and many bridges will open for them on demand or otherwise try to accommodate them, outside of any schedule formal or informal. So the tender said, "I haven't heard that name before captain, what was the name of your trawler, you new around here?" Gal says, yes, this the trawler____" So he says, ok captain, we'll wait. Well finally way down the channel this shiny toy boat/plastic fantastic/cabin cruiser what have you comes around the bend, a mile or so away. Tender says "____ is that you that just came around the corner?" Woman affirms. "Then this bridge is going up right now cause that ain't no trawler!" Guy is notoriously ornery and she really got his goat. We went through and sure enough he lowered that thing right behind us.

By the way Marin, one of the nicest boats we ever chartered was a beautiful 49' Grand Banks Motoryacht.

Caltex - Welcome to the Toy Trawler - vs - Toy Pleasure Boat chat. That a Hatteras you have on avatar? - Happy Boating Daze! - Art :dance:

Yes Art that is a Hatteras 56... Motoryacht! (official name). We have owned, lived aboard and cruised it extensively up and down the eastern seaboard and offshoots for 5 1/2 years. Marin and a few others may remember me from the Trawlers and Trawlering list a few years ago. I see some familiar names from other forums I more regularly follow. Took me awhile to sign up for this one. I guess I don't come by here much because, after all, I don't have a "trawler"!

George

Yes Art that is a Hatteras 56... Motoryacht! (official name). We have owned, lived aboard and cruised it extensively up and down the eastern seaboard and offshoots for 5 1/2 years. Marin and a few others may remember me from the Trawlers and Trawlering list a few years ago. I see some familiar names from other forums I more regularly follow. Took me awhile to sign up for this one. I guess I don't come by here much because, after all, I don't have a "trawler"!

George

Hi George

Nice life ya got there and a nice "Motoryacht", i.e. boat to live it on! 50's to mid 70's I grew up on New England waters... NY to Maine. You get opp see all the Penobscot Bay. It's all Beautiful!! Camden and Rockport were towns I lived and boated from 69 to 73. LI, NY and NY, NY are my orig locals. SF Bay and Delta Areas now... Love these too! :D

Fantastic photo's of the lighthouses

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom