How to devalue your boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am I devaluing my IG by my deck reno? Removing the old teak, repairing and re-glassing the substrate, an extra f/g layer on the bow with nonslip finish (100% weather exposed), fresh teak to the covered side decks and cockpit.
I don`t think so. Sound decks, however finished, are a plus on an IG. And I think the combination both makes sense and is aesthetically good.
Thoughts?

I agree Bruce. Removing teak can affect the resale value of some boats, Grand Banks being one of them because to most buyers, teak decks are a big part of the aesthetic appeal of a GB. On the other hand, a teak deck that is failing or worse, causing problems with the subdeck, will devalue a boat a lot more than replacing the teak with fiberglass.

However...... the fiberglass job needs to be really top notch. I've mentioned in the past the re-decking job the owner of an Island Gypsy on our dock did a few years ago. He did it himself with a retired marine engineer acting as his advisor. He removed the teak and installed four layers of glass on top of the subdeck. His advisor said two would be sufficient but the owner went with four. He then painted and applied nonskid.

The project took him a summer and a half, and the end result looks better than the manufacturer would have done at the outset. Plus the deck is now strong enough to land a plane on. Absolutely beautiful job, and I think it added a lot to the value of the boat.

He did the whole main deck. So there is no teak decking at all on the boat unless there is some on the flying bridge. I think no teak at all is a big plus to a lot of buyers these days so I think he did the right thing. I never saw his deck before he removed it so I don't know what shape it was in.

I think some teak and some glass can look very good depending on the design of the boat and how well the break between the glass and the teak is done.

When buying my boat...the ads went 2 ways..."got rid of the leaky teaky and all decks are now beautifully glassed...over $10,000 invested and a much better boat...."

or

""beautifully cared for, original teak decks"/Recently done, professionally installed teak deck"...

So 2 ways to go and 2 ways to ask more for a boat...just depended on what a new owner wanted...decks that would last 30-50 years with just a light refinishing every 5-10 years or so...or handsome teak decks needing weekly attention whether just washing or annual major attention.

So neither is a attractor/detractor...it's HOW the teak or glass is done/maintained that is the question...

I agree Bruce. Removing teak can affect the resale value of some boats, Grand Banks being one of them because to most buyers, teak decks are a big part of the aesthetic appeal of a GB. On the other hand, a teak deck that is failing or worse, causing problems with the subdeck, will devalue a boat a lot more than replacing the teak with fiberglass.

However...... the fiberglass job needs to be really top notch. I've mentioned in the past the re-decking job the owner of an Island Gypsy on our dock did a few years ago....

The project took him a summer and a half, and the end result looks better than the manufacturer would have done at the outset... Absolutely beautiful job, and I think it added a lot to the value of the boat.

He did the whole main deck. So there is no teak decking at all on the boat unless there is some on the flying bridge. I think no teak at all is a big plus to a lot of buyers these days so I think he did the right thing.

I think some teak and some glass can look very good depending on the design of the boat and how well the break between the glass and the teak is done.
Marin,the IG has a handy transition point, the side deck steps up about 10inches in height, continuing to the bow. Forward of the step is non slip,final paint applied when the teak(going aft from the step down) is finished.
With some teak laid I think the 2 finishes work together. They better!
The front half of the flybridge is teak protected by a tonneau type cover. After 32 years it is perfect. Conversely the bow was the worst area by far.
It definitely improves appearance and the decks should be sealed. Barring poor finishes, it should benefit value. Not that I plan to sell,I want to enjoy it.

So Bruce the finish should be similar to the photo's below.

Attachments

• wooden boats12 050.jpg
    wooden boats12 050.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 137
  • wooden boats12 049.jpg
    wooden boats12 049.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 133

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom