View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #195
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Rex, How right you are.

The more I look at this beauty/thing the more worn out it seems/appears to be.The shank has been bent, heated and bent the opposite way (straightened) but not really straight. Significant chunks of metal are gone in the "shank stop" area inside the center of the anchor where the shank disappears. One fluke is bent so the two flukes are 1.25" from being parallel and I can't believe I didn't notice that before. The pin and shank hole clank back and forth about 3/32" and the throat angle is a bit over 45 degrees. I admit it's junk. My mistake.

Rex writes;
"Erics anchor with the long shank, this anchor is obviously not a high holding power anchor,it will bury no deeper than the crown and has small flukes, if your short anchor rhode is laying, then pulled tight with a bullet of wind, your rhode would need to be greater than 35 degrees otherwise the flukes will just skip across the substrate." Right again. But I felt I'd redeem most of the holding power by doubling the size of the anchor. And if I had a new Dreadnought that may be right ... but I don't.

And Rex I've never been fond of long shank anchors. Get the scope a bit short and pull on the rode a bit and the anchor is easily (because of the leverage of the long shank) pointed right up toward the surface so not much pull is required to pull it out. At least that's the way I see it. That's one of the main reasons I was attracted to the XYZ .. a very short shank. But I'm surprised you said the Dreadnought's shank is probably HT steel. I was afraid maybe it wasn't.

This Dreadnought thing did promote me to figure out how to mount it on the bow and of course it wasn't my idea at all but my friend Ed's in Alaska. Now if I notched my bow as previously shown in the pics of Ed's boat I could mount practically any anchor thus. So perhaps a 33 or 44# Ray could take the place of the Dreadnought or some other anchor. But actually I'm in pretty good hands w the anchors I presently have. But it's getting a tad difficult to handle them on the bow. Gotta have something to think about .. and talk about .... right??

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote