Fill the hole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baggiolini

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
Defever 44
So against the installer's advice, I had him put the Ram Mic too far away from the helm. I finally moved it to where he originally wanted to put it but I am now left with a 1" ID hole in the fiberglass.

Any suggestion for filling it? I don't really want to pay to have it professionally filled, is there a plastic nut or something I could use? Anyone have a similar experience?

E

Attachments

• the hole.jpg
    the hole.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 130
While I have never had to fill a hole this large there are several ways to do it. These have been discussed at length from time to time on the GB owners forum. From what I recall it's not all that difficult but there are specific steps that need to be followed and preferred materials to use.

Perhaps you can find an independent shipwright in your area who can tell you what to do or help you do it.

I would be inclined to cut a wood disk to glue into the hole with a slight recess for gel coat and then apply gelocat and fair it to the surrounding surface. If done properly, and if you can match the gelcoat color (if the surrounding surface is gelcoat) it is possible to make it invisible. But I've never done it myself.

Go to the plumbing aisle of your local hardware store and ask for a cockhole cover. They are used for plugging extra holes in sinks and quite common. They also come in a variety of colors for less than $5.

You could enlarge the hole to 1 1/8" and install a 12v outlet.

When I worked at a Sea Ray dealership we would just stick another "warning" sicker over it...something like "don't hold your antennas during a lightning storm". Ever "read" a Sea Ray? Takes a half day with all those safety stickers all over the place.

All kidding aside...there's fixing the hole and covering the hole. there's a thousand patches...whatever you find is fine...I like the cigarette plug idea if it would be useful...if not...then I fill with any filler...add a layer or 2 of fabric...fill again and then gel or paint.

Greetings,
Quick Yahoo search pulled up this...Snap-In Plugs: Finishing Plugs for Sheet Metal Holes - Caps n Plugs
Search for: Plastic plugs and caps...
Hope this helps.

Your local hardware store or home center will have plugs as well. Plastic is better than metal here.

A picture, warning label, waste discharge placard, lots of ways to cover it, patching it will be a real chore.

Another thought is to enlarge the hole and install something usefull. How about a clock?

Last edited:
All, thanks! Lowes had the perfect cockhole cover, white plastic. Looks like the perfect size. I'll install it next weekend.

All, thanks! Lowes had the perfect cockhole cover, white plastic. Looks like the perfect size. I'll install it next weekend.

Just one wee question, as I seem to be the only one who doesn't know, so maybe it's an American thing, but what's a Ram Mic..?

I believe it's a term for a remote microphone that can operate the radio it's attached to. We installed one in our main cabin on the rear bulkhead by the settee. You can do everything with the controls on the mic that you can with the controls on the radio except the Emergency/DSC function. So change channels, squelch, volume, program and select dual and tri watch, switch to WX stations, etc. Icom calls it a Command Mic.

Ah. Thanks Marin. I figured it might have has something to do with a (mic)rophone, but the ram bit fooled me. One is not expecting an abbreviation to hold a hidden typo...

Ah. Thanks Marin. I figured it might have has something to do with a (mic)rophone, but the ram bit fooled me. One is not expecting an abbreviation to hold a hidden typo...
Remote Access Microphone

Nothing hidden there.

Cockhole cover.... it just sounds so..wrong..
.:censored:

I would put a vent plate over it as it looks to high. You can buy at most marine stores. I installed many vent holes arund the Eagle to allow moisture to escape. Trapping moisture leads to mild dow/mold/rot.

Last edited:
In aviation circles, we call these willkie buttons. They were named after Wendall Willkie who distributed campaign buttons in the 1936 and 1940 presidential campaigns.

file.php

In aviation circles, we call these willkie buttons. They were named after Wendall Willkie who distributed campaign buttons in the 1936 and 1940 presidential campaigns.

file.php

In electronics circles, we call them "hole plugs". Not as imaginative, perhaps, but more intuitive.

The problems with that particular style in this applications are, they are metal so they will rust, and they are designed to plug a hole in metal which is much thinner than the typical fiberglass panel on a boat. I suppose you could glue it in place.

You might wnat to consider drilling more holes for ventalation. I have added many vent holes to the Eagle where moisture could/tends to get trapped, under widows, Portuguese bridge, refrigerators, closest, storage area, stern deck,:thumb: Besides only you will probable look/question them.

Hole filled. Total time: 25 minutes at Lowes. Installation: 45 seconds.

Perfect boys, thanks for the idea! Love this forum.

E :thumb:

Attachments

• fill the hole.jpg
    fill the hole.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 122

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom