whats the diference between a motor yatch and a trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bfloyd4445

Guru
i know one is faster with a planning hull and the other has a displacement or semi displacement hull but is that all the diference?

NO

The hulls are much more similar than the rest of the boat. It's mostly the style. If you look at the hull of a Ranger Tug and without seeing any more of the boat than the hull you'd never guess it to be a Trawler. And if you could only see the bottom of a Willard or British Fisher you'd think it a sailboat. But they are what they are because of their styling.

Seems odd to me when the hull dictates mostly what the capabilities of any boat or ship will be.

i know one is faster with a planning hull and the other has a displacement or semi displacement hull but is that all the diference?
A motor yacht is a powerboat offered for sale by a Broker?

There are 3 main differences (1) hull shape, motor yacht is a planing hull, trawler is semi or full displacement. I guess you could get my Marine Trader 44 to plane if you installed two jet engines and had a tanker flying over head to deliver fuel. (2) styling, smaller motor yachts usually do not have lower helms or side doors to the salon (3) engine size and fuel consumption, trawlers are more conscious of fuel economy, motor yachts more worried about getting there sooner. I was looking at a CHB 46 motor yacht when I bought the 44. One examination of the two very large Volvo engines on the 46 brought nightmares.

Nothing and everything. Art DeFever says all of these "trawlers" are motor yachts. A trawler is a commercial fishing vessel. It's all about the boat not the terms. There are no terms police in this spectrum.

There are no terms police in this spectrum.

So true.

The term trawler has come to mean almost anything: from a blue water passagemaker like the Nordhavn to a multi thousand horsepower Eastbay.

The same with motoryacht. It can mean any boat propelled primarily with an engine.

Grand Banks, who most of us would consider a trawler, had a model they called a motoryacht.

David

Last edited:
Nothing and everything. Art DeFever says all of these "trawlers" are motor yachts. A trawler is a commercial fishing vessel. It's all about the boat not the terms. There are no terms police in this spectrum.

Mr. DeFever told me exactly that in a phone conversation last year. Said he had started out drawing trawlers, but soon realized that the money was in drawing motor yachts.

Mike

A true trawler fishing with a net dragged astern:

img_117192_0_8f447b1b0aa0132ee066435cd516e03e.jpg

A true recreational trawler, thus unable to exceed hull speed and has full living accommodations, relatively good fuel efficiency, and substantial/long range:

img_117192_1_632391305cd5da5af74c0b2187fe520c.png

A sedan cruiser (with full living accommodations) capable of higher speed which some people consider to be the oxymoron "fast trawler." Here at "trawler" speeds:

img_117192_2_6c75e90b3d7c4d86a6d300b21f38f9ce.png

img_117192_3_8cd59dd37d2a20956f044065f3313684.jpg

Last edited:
I suspect the only way that my boat would turn into a yacht would be in a court if my wife divorces me and her lawyer finds out I own a boat.

Grand Banks, who most of us would consider a trawler, had a model they called a motoryacht.

David

American Marine (Grand Banks) itself did not consider their boats to be trawlers. Their official term for their boats is Diesel Cruiser and for ages their company slogan was "Dependable Diesel Cruisers."

The Motoryacht is the name they gave to a specific configuration of boat. The Motoryacht is the same as the Classic (the official name of the original tri-cabin design) but with a full-width aft cabin. So the main deck stops at the forward bulkhead of the aft cabin and you step up onto the top of the aft cabin. I believe this same basic configuration is what other boat manufacturers call a "sundeck." However the aft cabin of a GB Motoryacht is lower than the typical aft cabin of a "sundeck."

American Marine/Grand Banks offered the Motoryacht configuration in several of its models--- the GB36, GB42, and GB46. I do not believe the Motoryacht configuration was ever offered in the GB48/49 or the GB52 but I could be wrong on the GB48/49.

I suspect the only way that my boat would turn into a yacht would be in a court if my wife divorces me and her lawyer finds out I own a boat.

NS - BINGO!!

Following are picts of our relitively fast (or slow if desired) mini yacht / tri cabin cruiser / planing hull / hull speed capable / gasser /economically running / economically easy to maintain / reasonably priced / value holding / seaworthy / very comfortable / sorta trawler looking / live aboard capable / built like ABSH craft - - > Easily Recognized as a Pleasure BOAT! :facepalm:

That we love to play on for long periods of time! :thumb: :popcorn: :whistling: :D

Attachments

• Copy of Large TO Pict - 100_1412.jpg
    Copy of Large TO Pict - 100_1412.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 122
  • TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 129
  • TO Pict @ Lowries Slip 3_100_1411.jpg
    TO Pict @ Lowries Slip 3_100_1411.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Ladder 100_0421.jpg
    Ladder 100_0421.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 137
Art, no doubt you have a handsome/fun yacht/boat/fast-slowtrawler.

American Marine (Grand Banks) itself did not consider their boats to be trawlers. Their official term for their boats is Diesel Cruiser and for ages their company slogan was "Dependable Diesel Cruisers."

Nevertheless, qualifying to participate on the TRAWLER forum.

People can call boats what they want. To me a trawler is a fishing boat that fishes with trawl gear. With just a tiny handful of exceptions the boats on this forum are all what I consider to be "cabin cruisers."

"Toy boats" is another applicable and accurate term.:) I think the first time I heard it was when I filmed on board the Matson RoRo ship back in the later 1970s. I asked what the seat, windshield, and intercom were for on the bow and the captain said, "We put a guy up there when we enter and leave a harbor to make sure we don't run over any toy boats." That's been my favorite term for recreational boats ever since.

"Toy boats" is another applicable and accurate term.:) ...

I dislike the term "toy boats." We're dealing with real-life, with potential/real life-threatening situations. What the heck has that got to do with "toy"? How many deaths does it take to show otherwise?

I'll accept recreational, but not toy.

A skateboard puts a person in real-life, potentially real-life threatening situations, too. And it's a toy. Just like a recreational boat. It's not for work, you don't need it, you use it have fun--- the very definition of toy. The fact it can kill you is irrelevant. You could probably come up with a way to die playing with a Slinky.:)

I think toy boat is the perfect term. It puts us in the proper perspective with the people who make their living on or from the sea, most of whom have forgotten more about seamanship and the sea than all of us toy boaters combined will ever know.

Oh dear...here we go again.
Personally, I think of my boat as a 'trawler style' coastal cruiser. As opposed to, for example, the Nordhavns, which are what I would call, long range cruisers, apart from the 35...with little or no resemblance to trawlers really. However, some long range cruisers do have some semblance of a trawler hull shape, just to add to the mix. The Kadey Krogens perhaps. Most of the others are getting more like the motor yacht style, eg the Selenes, GB Aleutians etc.
The hull shape and speed range is the only thing most of our boats have in common with true trawlers, let's face it.

Real trollers troll for salmon;

(found photo here)
Return of the Fishboats | Lighthouse Memories

"Real" Fishing Trawlers' hard working Captains don't have time nor desire to help us discuss the BS play-time (and even some important social) items we toss around on TF. We lucky owners and users of Recreational/Toy Trawers, Cruisers, Cabin Boats - Do! And, for that reason I count my blessings while enjoying being an active TF contributor.

Happy Boating Daze - Art :D

Art, no doubt you have a handsome/fun yacht/boat/fast-slowtrawler.

Thanks, Mark - And, you have one of the few sail stabilized, actual trawler-type designed pleasure boats on TF... A Real Good Looker too! :thumb:

Figure 1. Real trawler.
Figure 2. Toy boat.

My guess is that the person that told you they were looking out for toy boats would refer to a 65' Trawler like in your picture as a toy boat as well. It is all in their frame of reference. 1,000' RoRo and a 90' working or pleasure boat. Both the same as far as the big ship is concerned.

Ask a 747 Captain what he thinks of your Beaver. No better yet ask a F-18 pilot.

I'm with Mark. Recreational or Pleasure but Toy and Clorox Bottle are just derogatory terms.

For what I paid for my boat, I'm not going to call it a "toy". The manufacturer called it a "trawler" so that's what I call it.

A friend and slip neighbor at my marina enjoys calling out "Look at you, millionaire yacht owner shopping for groceries!" whenever he runs into me at the grocery store. :D

What's the difference between a boat and a yacht? A woman can wear heels on a yacht.

When I describe my Marine Trader to my boating challenged land-locked relatives I tell 'em it's a floating Winnabago. They understand that. They have no concept of displacement hulls, coastal cruisers, passagemakers, or trawlers. They can understand diesel power, generator, galley, head, and berths, not to mention the awning and sun deck. It serves to get them away from the idea that I own a yacht, which to them brings to mind 007 movies, helicopters, and speargun toting crews.

A woman can wear heels on a yacht.

Only on special occasions in the owner's stateroom. ;)

The crew would courteously inform her that she must remove them before setting foot onboard.

Years ago we used to fly Saberliner jets on my job. In the late '80s, we purchased a number of Beechcraft King Air 300 turboprops, which many viewed as an equipment downgrade. One of our pilots often referred to the King Air as a toy airplane. It reflected his poor attitude and unprofessionalism toward his job of flying a King Air. He felt it was a simple airplane and not worthy of his best efforts. He didn't last long and was removed from the cockpit for his unprofessionalism.

I think referring to something which demands a respectful, deliberate and professional approach to operate safely as a toy displays a cavalier attitude.

Nearly every time the term "Trawler" is used here on Trawler Forum, a vocal minority pipes in with their incessant objections. To them I say, we heard you many times before, now get over it. For Pete's sake, this is TRAWLER Forum!!

Now back to the OP, "What's the difference between a motor yacht and a trawler?"

He's asking about the boats most of us affectionately refer to as trawlers, i.e. recreational trawlers.

whats the diference between a motor yatch and a trawler?

My defining point for a yacht vs "xxx boat" is based on....Who maintains/performs routine repairs.:socool:

If you show up at the dock, fire up the motors, cast off, and the tanks are full, engines serviced, fridge/cabinets stocked, H2O tanks filled, holding tanks emptied from last trip, and the boat is clean with a nice shiny wax job, and you did nothing but write a check, Mr Howell, you and Lovey own a yacht, regardless of size!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom