BruceK
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
I've never crossed a bar like that..
I understand how to handle your boat in those waves, the best way.. is to ride the back of the wave in front of you and avoid waves coming under your stern. Obviously, from watching that video that's how the fishing boats kept being tossed about and nearly broaching. It seemed the fishing boats didn't have enough speed/power to keep up with the waves.

My question is this...if those two boats had been able to crank out a few more knots so as to be able to ride on the backs of the waves, wouldn't they have had a much easier time of that crossing?
I`m no expert but have crossed bars in an open fishing boat and that was how we did it coming in, getting on and staying on the back of a wave. This looks to be a bar of considerable distance, which may make that impractical, and it requires an ability to accelerate and slow rapidly to keep position which trawlers may lack.
I thought at least one boat seemed to get deliberately beam on in the waves before squaring up for forward progress.
One fear is the shallow water you might experience between waves. Momentary grounding could, I think, spell disaster at least as much as broaching or getting rolled.
In Australia it is compulsory to wear life jackets crossing a bar.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote