GPS receiver for wi fi only ipad 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbie68

Veteran Member
I recently downloaded the new Garmin Bluechart app from Garmin and would like imput from others as to the following options for GPS receivers. I am considering the following:
Garmin Glo
Global Sat BT-368i or 359c
Dual XGPS 150
Bad Elf
GNS 5870 MFI
Would appreciate feedback on experiences of others regarding these.
Perhaps there are other options I should consider??
Nick

Or you could sell/trade in your wifi-only iPad for a wifi-3G or 4G model. :)

I have found that having an on-board, stand-alone GPS is vey convenient on land, too, like when I used my iPad and its worldwide street map app to guide our van driver in Doha, Qatar to our filming locations the other week. No need to be on line at all and it works everywhere on the planet. I've used it out in the middle of China, the Middle East, etc. Wonderful tool.

newbie68 said:
I recently downloaded the new Garmin Bluechart app from Garmin and would like imput from others as to the following options for GPS receivers. I am considering the following:
Garmin Glo
Global Sat BT-368i or 359c
Dual XGPS 150
Bad Elf
GNS 5870 MFI
Would appreciate feedback on experiences of others regarding these.
Perhaps there are other options I should consider??
Nick

Am using the Bad Elf GPS receiver with my iPad 2 wifi unit. Running the Navionics app and works great. Came with USB power cord that plugs into the Bad Elf receiver.

I use a free program named, My Tracks, on my motorola Droid. I use it for everything and found it much more accurate and charts much better than my humminbird gps on my Wooldridge Alaskan. Navionics also has an app for ten bucks that uses their charts which are also ten bucks.

Although far more expensive than a phone attached device, I wouldn't be without a dedicated, installed, large screen chart plotter for navigation on my boat. Use one for a while, you'll understand.

Most definitely............ this is going to be just one of 2 back ups!!

rwidman said:
Although far more expensive than a phone attached device, I wouldn't be without a dedicated, installed, large screen chart plotter for navigation on my boat. Use one for a while, you'll understand.

I fully agree with raid an, my Albin 40 came with a Garmin 2010c and I love it, big screen and a lot of data displayed.

For me it is Navionics all the way i.e. on the iPad and/or iPhone whether it is on the boat or on land.

I took a quick run down in the country last week on my sled and done a track using the GPS on my iPhone.

Now I realize that this is a Trawler forum but as previous stated in my post, I enjoy all things seasonal and would probably get bored just doing the same activity all the time or being tied up at a slip and very seldom move. I also realize that some here have no idea what it is like on a sled or what kind of enjoyment it can be and also realize some don't even care but the topic is to do with what type of GPS members use or like. Thus my post.

Elwin
( enjoying the winter just like I do summer ) :oldman:

Attachments

• Navionics .jpg
    Navionics .jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Navionics2.jpg
    Navionics2.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Sled 1.jpg
    Sled 1.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 120
Elwin--- I haven't ridden a snowmobile in many years, but I concur it is certainly a lot of fun to do. We rode mostly in Yellowstone National Park. I never owned my own but would be loaned one by the friends we visited in Bozeman, MT. It was always an older Skidoo.

One winter our friends' daughter had just bought a new Yamaha. It made the old Skidoos look pretty pathetic in comparison. There is an airfield at West Yellowstone and at that time it's where we all went when we wanted to go fast. The daughter let me try her Yamaha. So I opened it up down the runway and when I thought I was going about as fast as I was willing to go I glanced down at the speedometer. It read 70 mph. The number scared me more than the actual speed did and I chickened out at that point. Probably not a big deal speed-wise today but back then 70 mph on a snowmobile was like driving a Formula 1 car.

What I most enjoyed were the leisurely runs through the park out to Old Faithful and along the river and geyser roads. That and nudging bison out of the way with the front of the snowmobile. That was cool, to be that close to that large of an animal.

It read 70 mph. The number scared me more than the actual speed did and I chickened out at that point. Probably not a big deal speed-wise today but back then 70 mph on a snowmobile was like driving a Formula 1 car.

What I most enjoyed were the leisurely runs through the park out to Old Faithful and along the river and geyser roads. That and nudging bison out of the way with the front of the snowmobile. That was cool, to be that close to that large of an animal.

lol, Marin, yep these units are built too fast for us and I liked the old machines. I watched a kid the other day tail walk a sled for quite some distance and most of the younger guys love high marking in the mountains with 3" paddles on the track and horsepower that would keep them afloat on water.. both crazy in my mind.

Just a causal ride, do a little ice fishing with afterwards a nice hot cup of tea or I mean a hot mama :flowers: makes it all worth while.

Elwin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom