How to devalue your boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

refugio

Guru
Vessel Name
Lulu (Refugio sold)
Here's another "cost" of boating that wasn't mentioned in the boating $ thread: the butcher job "electronics upgrade" on a $300K classic Stephens:

Attachments

• Electronics.jpg
    Electronics.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 184
On the other hand, by being true to the lines and character of the boat, you can really add significant value>:nonono:

img_116553_0_0a9e1105acd9f9dfe998c485d9f9a4bc.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. Moonstruck. I can't quite make it out but is the name of that boat "Fun in the Sun"?

I think I've seen that picture once before Don. If it's the same boat (and the story behind it was true) it was done because the owner had a severe sun allergy or something like that. Had no desire to give up boating so he made a canvas shop owner very happy.

We met a boat up at Roche Harbor that was enclosed in solid canvas with a few horizontal slits. The owner had a similar medical condition. Once we knew that it made a lot more sense.

We met a boat up at Roche Harbor that was enclosed in solid canvas with a few horizontal slits. The owner had a similar medical condition. Once we knew that it made a lot more sense.

Wouldn't it have been easier to enclose the owner in solid canvas? :angel:

Maybe West Marine could import outfits like this in high visibility yellow and orange. Would make the wearer stand out for CG and other patrol/rescue boats. Might have to make them out of Kevlar though.

Attachments

• arab gear.jpg
    arab gear.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 670
I think I've seen that picture once before Don. If it's the same boat (and the story behind it was true) it was done because the owner had a severe sun allergy or something like that. Had no desire to give up boating so he made a canvas shop owner very happy.

I think you're talking about this guy.
img_116826_0_6f6a31806ef1bbc9992febd42e1b94c5.jpg

img_116826_1_769e900510084d8b0fef2e4c19df7f7d.jpg

Greetings,
One of my pet peeves is "for sale" listings. I have seen numerous pictures of boats for sale, primarily on YW as that's the site I mostly frequent, where the seller has not taken the time to clean/tidy up. Also as I have mentioned before, the state of the ER's, if even shown, is sometimes akin to the black hole of Calcutta. Talk about devaluing your boat.

I think you're talking about this guy.

That's the one. He had an AC unit or something running too if memory served. We joked about it at first, but someone talked to him they discovered it was a medical issue of some sort. No sure if it was an allergy. Was that you Todd?

Greetings,
One of my pet peeves is "for sale" listings. I have seen numerous pictures of boats for sale, primarily on YW as that's the site I mostly frequent, where the seller has not taken the time to clean/tidy up. Also as I have mentioned before, the state of the ER's, if even shown, is sometimes akin to the black hole of Calcutta. Talk about devaluing your boat.
+1

Add to that pictures that look like they were taken by a 4 year old.

Lot to be said for detailing and then staging a boat for sale.

Ted

Greetings,
One of my pet peeves is "for sale" listings. I have seen numerous pictures of boats for sale....
Why do they always have a pic of the actual toilet bowl? We know what they look like. And lid up? Is that just to annoy female boaters ( some of whom leave the lid down to annoy guys).
At least it`s an area even the untidiest owner cleans up before pressing the shutter!(Or so we hope).

img_116884_0_0a9e1105acd9f9dfe998c485d9f9a4bc.jpg

Wouldn't it have been easier to enclose the owner in solid canvas?

Full canvas - $15,000

1 Pair trousers - $15.00
1 Long sleeved shirt - $15.00
1 Tilley hat - $70.00

Net savings - $14,000 ;)

Full canvas - $15,000

1 Pair trousers - $15.00
1 Tilley hat - $70.00

Net savings - $14,000 ;)

Of course your right economically speaking, Ron. However you are discounting the enhancement of the craft that the extra $14,000. does.:D

Of course your right economically speaking, Ron. However you are discounting the enhancement of the craft that the extra $14,000. does.:D

Full canvas - $15,000
1 Pair trousers - $15.00
1 Tilley hat - $70.00
Net savings - $14,000 ;)

I think you both need to work on your math skills.

I think you both need to work on your math skills.
I was watching two football games on TV and posting when the commercialls coincided. I realized my math error after I shut down the computer and went to bed.

I really hate it when I make a mistake on Sunday, that means I have to go six more days without one. ;)

When I lived in the Keys a few yrs back there was a boat done up like that (if it wasn't this one) that was anchored in Tarpon Basin, actually I think that one was a 43 Viking, ANYWAY, what a friggin eyesore to have right in the middle of your sunset:eek: Why yes I am a bit ego-centric:nonono:

Perhaps they were nudists.......:socool: MORE CANVAS, MORE CANVAS!!!!

BruceK said:
At least it`s an area even the untidiest owner cleans up before pressing the shutter
OTOH I have a hard time picturing a broker even wanting to enter some of the spaces. Lots of built in "potential" though!

If your boat looks to good.
If you need an insurance appraisal for tax purposes.

Sometimes if everything works like a charm.
safe, secure, seaworthy.

A devalued boat can save you some money.

A lot of that goes on with houses up here in the sticks.
You see a lot of houses out in the woods with plywood on the outside. Just to keep the tax low.

SD

Both my wife and I have been told by our doctors to watch how much sun we get as we both have some spots already. We both wear cowgirl hats, light long sleeves with plenty of sun screen. Many boats have canvas enclose command bridges, pilot houses, and stern deck. The boat would have look better if it was hard/permanently enclosed rather all blue canvas. If the new owner did no like, they could take some of the canvas off? If we living in sunny climate we would have more coving also. So don’t knock it as some day you might be in the same boat!:D

Its probable no more difficult docking than the Eagle? You just have to anticipate, and some times wait for the right conditions. There have been many times we have sat for several hours waiting for the tide and/or wind to change.

As for the first original post, that probable did not change the value by much as the cost, several hundred bucks, and/or skill level, low difficulty, to make presentable. I would not even be concerned if the rest of the boat surveyed well. :hide:

"You see a lot of houses out in the woods with plywood on the outside. Just to keep the tax low."

One of our interests is visiting areas and finding the historical tax avoidance methods.

Cape cod would use very narrow windows and shingle the side and rear and only clapboard the front.

Charlston SC charged for doors , so the guilotine window , floor to ceiling the raised with counterweights like a small window and lifted inside the wall above was used.

In NY state no closets would get lower taxes.

Knowing our ancestors thought the local gov was hardly worth the price , makes exploring more fun.

If you really want to increase value, you could always add a flying bridge.

Attachments

• Deck 1.jpg
    Deck 1.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 144
Or if you want more deck space you could find an abandoned 20' sailboat, cut it up the middle and glue half on each side of your "custom" lobsterboat ...

Attachments

• FREDDY.jpg
    FREDDY.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
The photos are amazing.
It is hard to believe people actually do these things to there boats.

sd

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom