composting toilets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lobo

Vessel Name
Lobo
Vessel Make
International Offshore - Portuguese Bridge Pilot House Trawler
Hello all, we are new to this forum and to the liveaboard life. Just moved on board TODAY!!!
This is our second post regarding the renos we are planning. The first was about ceilings so if you know about them please check out that post and help.
I came across the following
Nature's Head Composting Toilet
and wondered if anyone has/are using a composting toilet? What I've read looks interesting but wanted opinions from you folks.
Thanks so much!!

Ick. Stick with an Electrosan or similar, or just a holding tank.

IF you plan on traveling much in placers where the holding tank police are common, Canada's many lakes or in FL where every spit of sand is a "sancturary", the hassle of a composting toilet would be worth the effort.

IF you are in an area where the pump out is at every slip , and you have many guests , that would need to be instructed in the compost toilets operation , a push button electric head would be the choice.

Thanks for the comments,
We are in the PNW in Canada and have to move or get a boat to pump our tanks out

We were thinking of using just one in our forward head which would be for our use only to see how it goes.
The second head is a push button electric that needs the vacumn fixed - has a small leak so is constantly repressuring if left on. The forward head is hooked up to the same vacumn so you have to remember to/go aft and turn on the vacum before you use the forward head. Clumsy at it's best so we are looking at how to change it. We are redoing the whole forward part of the boat so putting in a new system won't be an issue.
I was hoping to get info from people who have used one already. The only thing that I found on the other thread that conserns me is that there may be odor issues on the outside of the boat through the vent. Anyone have experience with this?

We have a Natures Head and find no odor , although we do use it be Da Book.

We have a Natures Head and find no odor , although we do use it be Da Book.
Just to clarify, you follow the instructions? and no odor out side either?

FF, how long have you used yours?

About 3 seasons , in our cabin in CT.

The Urine is captured in a tank and the solids dry out very rapidly , is the reason for a lack of smell.
We exit thru a wall , so require the included tiny fan .

There is a far larger hassle with holding tanks , as on larger boats (25M to 100M)air has to be pumped thru the waste tank to keep down the smell.

Those charter folks paying $10K to $25K a day hate it when tied next to a stinker .

Sounds good Fred. Any thoughts how well it would work on Lucy, if the need ever arose? What's your current set up on board?

The composting unit would be fine on LUCY , but at almost a grand , with a working manual toilet , holding tank and both deck and overboard discharge , why bother?

As the interior is quite limited , 15ft aft deck, 12 ft pilot house/salon , 6ft for collision bulkhead , the main cabin 10x12,contains the galley , dining table , and a combination head and shower.

Since the head gets a wash down with every shower , the std marine unit works well.

It is also no hassle as most visitors already know how its used.

We do use a rather unique pump out system with no need for a Y valve.

The tank discharge is plumbed to the deck fitting , and then on to the waste pump.

With the deck cap out the waste pump is disabled , as it can not gain suction.

With the cap in , just push the button for discharge.

I keep the cap in a drawer to meet any poop police regulations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom