What is the best use for this hull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1990 Legacy Yachts Legacy 32 MKII Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Does this hull give better sea handling then most coastal cruisers? Would this boat get you safely to the Bahamas and back. I know all boats have trade offs whats the down side to this hull?

I don't know what it is but I really like this boat.... I just wish it was a little smaller so it would fit on a trailer i could pull. then i would love it

I would fall to my death going down the steps

Interesting boat. I bet Eric will really like it. At least the hull itself. Don't know how he'll feel about the rest of it.

They were interesting boats. A bit of a caricature of itself (says the guy with a fake tug boat ironically), but none the less kind of cool. They made, or at least intended to make, quite a few cabin variations with the same hull. I've got some old Pacific Yachting mags with ads in the back matter that show the configurations.

Very much like my Willard of course but significant differences.

Only one pic of the hull and unfortunately it's fwd instead of aft. The bow has lots of overhang. The hull is kind-of barrel shaped w a rather full (compared to my Willard) bow. The designer gave little or no priority to maximizing the WLL so the Legacy could be no faster than Willy even though she's 2' longer but will only need a very small increase in power (over the 40hp Willard) to make her way and even if she is heavier 50hp will be plenty of power especially if a larger prop is fitted w a deeper reduction gear. She's lighter than Willy so probably has no ballast.

More living space to be sure and w flopper stoppers would be a rather comfortable cruiser for mostly protected coastal waters like the NW coast. The Lagacy isn't as attractive as the Willard even in any one place on the boat. She probably rolls worse but that could be acceptable for some. I have no plans or desire to install Paravanes on Willy and this boat could be very similar to the Willard. I've seen them before and of course wondered about them but not much as they are mostly unattractive. That's probably why there were so few built.

I see she's way newer than my Willy and that will affect value.

A stern shot out of the water would shed more light on her performance. Especially in quartering seas.

I haven't read the whole YW ad but it seems 70K is a bit steep but if they are actually good boats and someone is SPECIFICALLY looking for max long distance for minimum length and minimum dollar this could be a good boat.

Just say'in .... just off the top ....even though she's 2' longer

Last edited:
Looks like a nice enough boat although getting in/out of a dink would be a chore. I'm partial to double end designs and this one definitely maximizes interior space. Located in Kentucky it was obviously purchased with the Loop in mind. If the photos are an accurate representation of current condition somebody will be happy with their purchase.

As to going to the Bahamas or anywhere else for that matter pick your weather. Most boats can take far rougher sea conditions than their owners.

Welcome to the forum.

Interesting boat. But I'd miss having a 360-degree flat deck.

1990 Legacy Yachts Legacy 32 MKII Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Does this hull give better sea handling then most coastal cruisers? Would this boat get you safely to the Bahamas and back. I know all boats have trade offs whats the down side to this hull?

I don't know what it is but I really like this boat.... I just wish it was a little smaller so it would fit on a trailer i could pull. then i would love it
Looks like the right shape but you may need seat belts in blue water....
I'm also not too sure what the thinking was on the chain to windlass alignment.

Greetings,
Mr. Delfin. The only reason I can see for the offset of the windlass from the straight pull on the rode is for visual symmetry ie: everything in line. Quite an awkward and useless arrarrangement IMHO.

Greetings,
Mr. Delfin. The only reason I can see for the offset of the windlass from the straight pull on the rode is for visual symmetry ie: everything in line. Quite an awkward and useless arrarrangement IMHO.

Maybe that is why he is using a rode with only 10' of chain. I installed a lofrans tigres a couple of years ago the instructions were very specific that the chain gypsy must be in line with the bow roller. The correct mounting does look a bit out of line with the bulk of the windlass of to port but it works.
Steve W

Despite what the ad states, it looks really tender and dangerously top-heavy. Not an offshore or "outside" boat at all.

Welcome aboard Tad. It's going to be a pleasure to have your insights here.

Thank you.....I guess we'll see about the pleasure part ;).......I'm hoping to learn from you guys and I'll try to help as I can.....

Thanks guys for all the in put. I like looking at the boats for sale and dreaming about owning one, or 2 or even 3 if i had the money

Overall, she's a nice looking boat though. Very good condition from the pictures at least.

Back
Top Bottom