Norcold DE-704C AC/DC Refridgerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patzfan4eva

Veteran Member
Mine stopped working, the Power Supply is getting power and is pretty hot to the touch so I am assuming thats its failed. However before I spend $260 for a replacement, I was hoping some other trawler owners could help me with thier exp.

The power supply changes whatever it is fed to about 20V.

Use a V meter to see if 20V is being provided to the compressor..

Mine stopped working, the Power Supply is getting power and is pretty hot to the touch so I am assuming thats its failed. However before I spend $260 for a replacement, I was hoping some other trawler owners could help me with thier exp.

That's not a valid assumption. The power supply could be fine but the compressor is drawing too much power from it.

You could spend $260 on a replacement power supply, install it and find you still have a problem. Then you could replace the compressor (at great cost) and see if that fixes it.

By the time you replace all the parts, you might spend more than a replacement refrigerator.

You could check the manufacturer's website for troubleshooting information or contact their support or technical department. Or call in a pro who has the tools and experience to figure out exactly what component is causing the problem.

Thanks for the Advice, on contacting the MFG, they're out of business and I'm unable to get any answers. A new fridge is about $1000 plus tax and shipping. Not sure what a compressor for a small fridge would cost. I'd really like to keep the AC/DC fridge option, however with my onbaord inverter, maybe I'm hanging onto a silly little dream.

We switched from a Norcold AC/DC fridge to a Nova Cool 12 volt DC fridge and have never regretted it. The fridge has now been running 24/7 for eight years, only turned off for defrosting. Our charger looks after the batteries when on shore power with the alternator or genset looking after the batteries the rest of the time.

Thanks for the web address, I did find that company but they're actually "the Ford Company" who seems to have purchased the Norcold name and they were no help at all. Interesting point made by Mike, maybe it would better to use a DC only fridge and save the load on the inverter?

Thanks for the web address, I did find that company but they're actually "the Ford Company" who seems to have purchased the Norcold name and they were no help at all. Interesting point made by Mike, maybe it would better to use a DC only fridge and save the load on the inverter?

It's "Thetford" and they are a well established name in marine refrigeration and sanitation.

In my opinion, if you decide to replace the refrigerator, your best bet is an AC/DC refrigerator. One designed for the marine market.

Just out of curiosity, did it stop working on AC or DC or both?

On both sources I got nothing....I have the power supply out and am researching the manual to see if there's more info I can use. One thing to add is that the transformer on within the power supply was humming while connected. Don't know if that was normal or not as when the fridge would click on the motor would have been to loud.

ok - I was just wondering, as mine stopped working this spring on AC power - trouble shot that down to a bad power supply to the relay that switches it from AC to DC - fixed that and everything was good till the 4th of July weekend when it stopped working on DC - the inverter box on mine was hot to the touch so I disconnected the 12 volt supply and have been running it on AC only till I troubleshoot it again.

Got it apart on my desk as we speak trying to determine whats bad, seems like it may be my transformer.

you got Norcolds trouble shooting guide?

yes, its somewhat confusing but its painting a picture of what to check. However now that I've dug into it....why, if the transformer is bad, is the refrigerator not clicking on via the 12v input? Maybe the relay so back to the boat to reconnect and trouble shoot with power on!!!

if you'll send me your e-mail address to rhakey92@aol.com I'll send you the best diagram of this thing I've found - might help you understand - It doesn't seem to fit into this forums attachment size guidelines

Just curious if you've made any headway?

Not yet, using a multi-meter I have established its probably the transformer, but now I'm having trouble finding the replacement. The entire assembly isn't available either so the search continues....

Unfortunately the tRANSFORMER works in both AC & DC modes, not just one or the other so if it dies, it's dead.
It steps up and down depending upon which V source is being used ++ it supplies the signal to the transistors to produce the oscillation needed to run as an inverter.

There may be a schematic on the back of the fridge as there was on mine.

Thanks for the Advice, on contacting the MFG, they're out of business and I'm unable to get any answers.

Norcold out of business????

Are you sure?

Wow! I replaced my Norcold this spring and almost bought another one.

Last edited:
Some company called the Ford Co now owns or runs Norcold and offer no support (according to them) for older Norcold product. Sears lists the replacements parts for the unit, but when you order it they decline the order saying that the part is no longer available. I'm thinking that the best course of action is to purchase a new unit instead of trying to fix this one.

Well, I don't want to push you in that direction but if that's the way you go I be willing to pay the shipping if you'd consider shipping the power unit/pallet or whatever you want to call it...maybe I could salvage something off it for mine when I pull the boat out for the winter.

Some company called the Ford Co now owns or runs Norcold .............

Again, it's "Thetford", not "the Ford Co". :banghead:

If you can get off the idea of fixing it yourself, there are qualified repair technicians out there who can probably repair your refrigerator if you don't take it apart any further. They have the knowledge and experience and have sources for parts.

Norcold

I have a Norcold 704 that the freezer is ice cold but the main refrigerator not real cold.Any ides what to look for?

Thanks,
John

Make sure there is no insulation between the freezer evaporator plate and the lower box.

Most likely is poor seals on the fridge door.

Do the drag the dollar trick and repair the leak.

It was interesting to follow the Fridge issue and the related problems. My Norcold is getting so noisy that I decided to replace the thing this winter with something AC/DC. Other than the Norcold or the Nova Cool, is there anything else out there worth looking at.

I have a unit that has a burnt out compressor.

Hooking power to the supply seems to show the power supply is fine.

Take the whole unit (it looks almost new) and its yours for the price of coming to get it.

Long drive from the left coast , but the offer is open to anyone.

Ortona FL 33471

It was interesting to follow the Fridge issue and the related problems. My Norcold is getting so noisy that I decided to replace the thing this winter with something AC/DC. Other than the Norcold or the Nova Cool, is there anything else out there worth looking at.

We installed a Vitrifrigo unit in out boat.

We're very happy with it. Very good construction.

Isotherm is well thought of.

I have a unit that has a burnt out compressor.

Hooking power to the supply seems to show the power supply is fine.

Take the whole unit (it looks almost new) and its yours for the price of coming to get it.

Long drive from the left coast , but the offer is open to anyone.

Ortona FL 33471

I'd love to get the power supply from you, but that's a little too far from connecticut to manage in a weekend drive

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom