Nautical terms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
On another thread the term celings is used.:socool:

Do you think it is important to use Nautical terms on this forum?:)

Or should terms like fore and aft, port and starboard and so on be the norm.

Is it important.:ermm:

Do we use these terms just to sound salty?:D

And what is the name of the boarding plank used to go from the dock to the boat?:confused::confused::confused:

Sd

I think as boaters, some of the terms creep into our vocabulary and become "normal" to us. Port, starboard, bow, stern, fenders, etc. And of course line and rode.

When I see others such as abaft and shipwright, I start to think ther writer is just trying to impress people ("sound salty").

I don't have a boarding plank used to go from the dock to the boat, I just step from the dock to the swim platform.

I don't have a boarding plank used to go from the dock to the boat, I just step from the dock to the swim platform.[/QUOTE]

Same here. But there is a name for this boarding apparatus. I remember someone on this forum referring to one long ago. I just can't remember what the heck it was.

Just trying to increase my boating vocabulary so I can impress people with my salty ways.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

sd

Greetings,
Mr. SD. You raise a very valid point. I feel we should all attempt to use the proper nautical terms if we know them.
I once read a survey where the surveyor stated "A dutchman should be fitted in the clinker 3' aft of the stem, third board down". Had to look that up but got the dutchman fitted just fine. Now, I'm still scratching my head over strumbox 35 years later...
Boarding board? Gangway maybe?

Ex black shoe Navy types might still call it the overhead.

I realized this is a mistake in many cases. Like when I told a guest to release the locking pawl on the windlass. "Huh?"

Gangplank or gangway are acceptable according to my nautical dictionary.
The only place I find correct terminology is critical is in wooden boat surveys where a clear understanding of the terms is needed. i.e. carline, futtocks, garboard, shelf and many more.

There are some instances in FRP boats where correct terminology is easier. i.e. its easier to say "FRP encapsulated hanging knee" than it is to say "That piece of plywood stuck to the hull and underside of deck and covered in fiberglass ... you know, that part that the stainless steel plates are bolted to that are attached to those wires that hold up the mast.

The only misused term that iritates me mildly (don't know why) is "salon"
rather than "saloon"

Ex black shoe Navy types might still call it the overhead.

I realized this is a mistake in many cases. Like when I told a guest to release the locking pawl on the windlass. "Huh?"

Yeah .But if you had another boater on board . Would they know what you meant?

sd

No boarding plank necessary here either, but we step directly from floating dock to the deck, stepping over the gunwale. No stairs necessary either. If docked stern-in perpendicular to the dock (haven't done that yet), we'd use the stern ladder and swim platform.

img_116302_0_8e7e7ec03a78e815b0b63d627e26829b.jpg

Prefer using/reading nautical terms describing things nautical (like "fender" as opposed to "bumper").

I label my saloon as "saloon." The boat's builder does. But some other boat builders label is "salon."

We normally consume refreshments in the saloon. We don't do nails, facials, or hairdos there.

Last edited:

Learned that one quick. First time using a windlass the chain didn't let out.

Strumbox. Isn't that the strainer on the bottom of the bilge pump?

sd

Strumbox. Isn't that the strainer on the bottom of the bilge pump?

That's consistent with my google search results but as two words "strum box."

Last edited:

sd

Maybe not. I probably should have said, "Lift up that hooked thingy on the side that I showed you earlier. No, over there. On the right. Your other right." :D

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Term:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]brow (n)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Definition:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Gangplank. A moveable ladder or ramp used for boarding a vessel from the dock.[/FONT]

Shipwright is not a pretentious term. It's the name of a profession. The craftsmen who work in the big Seaview yard in our marina are referred to in the yard as shipwrights. The guys who paint bottoms, powerwash hulls, and drive the Travelifts are not. In the newspaper articles I've read about the rebuilding of the Bluenose II in Lunenburg, NS the yard employees who rebuilt the hull were always referred to as shipwrights. The large Grand Banks charter fleet in our marina has a shipwright on its staff who carries out any repairs needed to the structure, decks, railings, windows, etc on the boats and he is referred to as such.

Last edited:
Agreed. We don't call the person who writes plays a "play writer", they're a "playwright". It's just the "wright" thing to do! :)

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Term:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]brow (n)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Definition:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Gangplank. A moveable ladder or ramp used for boarding a vessel from the dock.[/FONT]

That's a good one but not the one I am looking for.

It may have been a Mediteranian thing. I think the person refering to it was from the Med.

I'm thinking the term for gang plank SD is looking for is passarel. Personally I try to tailor by terminology to the intended audience, I would rather get my point accross than baffle them with BS.

That's it!!!!
I don't know why I couldn't remember it.

Such a strange word. I wonder if it is in another language.
Couldn't find it on google. Then again I didn't know what I was looking for.
Thanks Capn.

SD

Maybe not. I probably should have said, "Lift up that hooked thingy on the side that I showed you earlier. No, over there. On the right. Your other right." :D

Shoot my wife does not even know the basic nautical term after 15 years of being a live aboard. Its Ok to use some basic terms like bow, stern, port starboard etc. We still use the dirt terms. Most of the people we show and take on a boat are dirt people so we use dirt terms, bedroom, bathroom, toilet, kitchen. Also, not knowing if the reader know the nautical terms, I tend to use dirt terms. Using terms beyond the basic, bow, stern, galley, anchor, port starboard most do not know what we are talking about. I could care less what terms are used as long as they understand what we are talking about. Heck I been know to the use technical term of THINGY, many times. :rofl:

Being we/I do nails, pedicure, facial and makeup in the main area we call it a salon.:facepalm:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Ceiling - The lining or inboard sheathing covering the frames of a wooden boat. Usually ceiling is light planking or slats covering the frames in cabin areas to provide insulation, deaden sound, reduce condensation and provide a more finished appearance. (Lubbers beware: the ceiling is located along the inboard sides of a ship, never overhead.)

I first heard this as a young boy working in a boatyard.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Overhead - The inboard top cover of a compartment, as in: "In the top berth get up carefully or you will clock yourself on the overhead." On shore this is called the ceiling. [/FONT]

Brow -
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Gangplank. A moveable ladder or ramp used for boarding a vessel from the dock.

These I was introduced to in the Navy.

All are the traditional, proper nautical terminology for these items.

On this forum, I would submit that their use is optional.

Larry
M/V Boomarang
[/FONT]

Pasarela (one "s") is Spanish, in a nautical context, meaning gangway/gangplank.

No boarding plank necessary here either, but we step directly from floating dock to the deck, stepping over the gunwale. No stairs necessary either. If docked stern-in perpendicular to the dock (haven't done that yet), we'd use the stern ladder and swim platform.

img_116351_0_8e7e7ec03a78e815b0b63d627e26829b.jpg

Prefer using/reading nautical terms describing things nautical (like "fender" as opposed to "bumper").

I label my saloon as "saloon." The boat's builder does. But some other boat builders label is "salon."

We normally consume refreshments in the saloon. We don't do nails, facials, or hairdos there.

A Saloon was and is for drinking consummate amounts of some sort of alcohol (often with a few ladies o’ da night prancing round – sometimes referred to as “bar-flies” in recent times)... and, Saloons also usually include hard alcohol drinking in a BIG Way, right up to closing time! Saloons can be found in western towns/cities and simply small towns too. They can be easily seen on Gunsmoke and Bonanza TV reruns. :socool:

A salon is for comfortable close gatherings where repartee, finger-licking-good hors d’oeuvres, mild drink, and flirtatious "winks" can be readily shared! :flowers: ;)

The premise of a Salon offers more etiquette than a brawling two fisted drinking establishment - such as a - Saloon! :hide: :whistling:

Each Captain has a choice aboard boat! :thumb: :D

have your salon - I'll keep my saloon

A Saloon was and is for drinking consummate amounts of some sort of alcohol (often with a few ladies o’ da night prancing round – sometimes referred to as “bar-flies” in recent times)... and, Saloons also usually include hard alcohol drinking in a BIG Way, right up to closing time! Saloons can be found in western towns/cities and simply small towns too. They can be easily seen on Gunsmoke and Bonanza TV reruns. :socool:

A salon is for comfortable close gatherings where repartee, finger-licking-good hors d’oeuvres, mild drink, and flirtatious "winks" can be readily shared! :flowers: ;)

The premise of a Salon offers more etiquette than a brawling two fisted drinking establishment - such as a - Saloon! :hide: :whistling:

Each Captain has a choice aboard boat! :thumb: :D

Saloon n. 1. A place where alcoholic drinks are sold and drunk; a tavern.
2. A large room or hall for receptions, public entertainment, or exhibitions.
3. Nautical a. The officers' dining and social room on a cargo ship.
b. A large social lounge on a passenger ship.

4. Chiefly British A sedan automobile.

Salon n. 1. A large room, such as a drawing room, used for receiving and entertaining guests.
2. A periodic gathering of people of social or intellectual distinction.
3. A hall or gallery for the exhibition of works of art.
4. A commercial establishment offering a product or service related to fashion

:popcorn:

My saloon:

img_116353_0_f647617c20f59b5d16f18221653f1b0e.jpg

The food fight hadn't started yet.

Saloons were areas on ships. Later on, bars decorated nautically, and picked up the term. It was only when women becaue major decision influencers that boat sellers adopted the term "salon".

Saloon n. 1. A place where alcoholic drinks are sold and drunk; a tavern.
2. A large room or hall for receptions, public entertainment, or exhibitions.
3. Nautical a. The officers' dining and social room on a cargo ship.
b. A large social lounge on a passenger ship.

4. Chiefly British A sedan automobile.

Salon n. 1. A large room, such as a drawing room, used for receiving and entertaining guests.
2. A periodic gathering of people of social or intellectual distinction.
3. A hall or gallery for the exhibition of works of art.
4. A commercial establishment offering a product or service related to fashion

:popcorn:

My saloon:

img_116360_0_f647617c20f59b5d16f18221653f1b0e.jpg

The food fight hadn't started yet.

My Salon (lol):

Attachments

• Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 116

Latest posts

Back