Which Boat to Buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is is we're supposed to be discussing again?

The OP buying a cool steel hulled passagemaker with lots of character after which he can give his boss the finger and cruise to Belize with a parrot on his shoulder; or buying a boring old Mainship in which he can compare mooring costs on the internet with a bunch of old farts.

28602_rico_and_me.jpg

P-A-R-R-O-T, RTF. Not rooster. This guy doesn't look like Belize-in-a-boat material.

The OP buying a cool steel hulled passagemaker with lots of character after which he can give his boss the finger and cruise to Belize with a parrot on his shoulder; or buying a boring old Mainship in which he can compare mooring costs on the internet with a bunch of old farts.

Great summary, NS! (I'm glad someone out there is paying attention.)

Whatever boat you get, just remember: Longevity isn't everything!

:dance:

You guys really crack me up....
But I wish I had an autopilot....sorry...back on thread...now what was it...submarines, wasn't it..?

Northern Spy said:

LMAO

Actually, so far it's my DW giving me the finger on the passagemaker. Old farts here I come! Better move over when you see me heading towards the dock!!

LMAO

Actually, so far it's my DW giving me the finger on the passagemaker. Old farts here I come! Better move over when you see me heading towards the dock!!

Just pointing out the disparity between the choices; dream vs. reality. You should've seen some of the boats I shortlisted and proposed to my family and tried to justify.

But someday...

Just pointing out the disparity between the choices; dream vs. reality. You should've seen some of the boats I shortlisted and proposed to my family and tried to justify.

But someday...

Yeah. One day a wild hair up my a## will overcome my naturally cautious nature (lack of adventure?) and I'll "just do it." The only thing holding me back is .... well, me.

I daresay if you look at the members of this forum who get the most out of their boating, be it weekend trips in SFO Bay, cruises on the ICW and in the Gulf, river or Great Lakes cruising, cruising the islands and inlets of Maine and the Canadian Maritimes, or boating the waters of Inside Passage in the PNW, BC, and SE Alasksa, you will find that they all have spouses who are equal participants in the experience and get every bit as much out of it.

What Marin says is Spot On! :thumb:

Take your time looking into many different boats WITH wife! You two need to BOTH be VERY, VERY Pleased with your choice of boat... especially that you say you dislike selling things like boats... and, you want to keep this boat purchased for many years. You two will eventually board a boat that simply thrills you both :D! You’ll both recognize that when it happens... kinda gives ya a tingling feeling throughout your body and mind! :socool:

As Marin Alludes: You want your wife to love "her" boat soooo much that she is the one who often instigates boat visits for pleasure cruises or simply for maintenance. You get her to a high level of boat appreciation and you together will have great boating times for years! Make it HER boat :flowers:.

Besides, just think of the fun you will both have in the Master Stateroom! LOL :angel: :rofl:

Word of caution: Be sure to have any boat you may fall in love with checked well by competent marine surveyors and mechanics. If it ain’t right to buy... move on... there is another great boat around the next turn! ;)

If you are looking at a boat that is a lower price than most of the other boats, similar year and model, there might be a few reasons why it is lower. One is it is a distress sale (or owner has reached reality sale) but more likely it is not in as good condition as the others.
If it is a long distance away ask the seller or his broker to send fresh pictures (with a current newspaper to show the date) of engine room, bilge, under the forward windows the places that show care or lack of....
A local surveyor might be hired to do a walk through for less than the cost of a flight, rental car, hotel etc. The surveyor might also credit some of that inspection cost against a full survey later.

Yeah. One day a wild hair up my a## will overcome my naturally cautious nature (lack of adventure?) and I'll "just do it." The only thing holding me back is .... well, me.

This and Northern Spy's remarks resonate with me. I stand by what I said in post #2 of this thread though. Otherwise I woulda had a very impractical boat dripping with testosterone laced character months ago.

This and Northern Spy's remarks resonate with me. I stand by what I said in post #2 of this thread though. Otherwise I woulda had a very impractical boat dripping with testosterone laced character months ago.

Yeah, but some of that "wild hair" will most likely be leaving momma behind.

Back
Top Bottom