View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #163
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
Long thread and I haven't read all posts but would like to contribute so folks can get an idea of what us bottom feeders do. I paid 75k for a 35' trawler that was in decent shape. Payments, slip fees and upkeep were about 1k a month...I did all the labor. She brought in about 12k a year from being in charter service, but she was in the water over 300 miles away and I worried too much about her.

Today I cruise in a 40 year old 28' houseboat, and although she's not a true trawler, she can act like one -- sleeps 7 with all the amenities of the previous 35 footer, 2 to 3 gallons per hour at 6 to 8 mph. Papers say she'll do 30 mph, but I've only had her to about 25 briefly; we cruise at 6 - 8 mph. Pics here from the eBay auction.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1019668...08584190965266

Here's the numbers for Big Duck
Boat ~11k - winning eBay bid
Bringing her to SC from Las Vegas ~2k
Getting boat/trailer water ready ~7k

Engine and outdrive maint ~.5k
Boat maint ~.5k
Trailer maint ~.5k (includes tires)
Insurance - $350
Personal Property taxes - 0
slip fee - 0
haul/bottom paint - 0
I used to keep meticulous records of expenses so I could refer to them when I got older, but now that I am older I don't care, so I don't really keep track any more...these are all gut numbers.

So, for less than $2,000/year she not only satisfies our water passion, but makes a great travel trailer as well. Of course we need to figure in 8 - 10 mpg for the van while towing, but never doing motels (or campgrounds) makes up for a little lousy mileage -- the joy for me though, is the elimination of the "Where should we stay?" fiasco...should we spend $100+ for the night, or gamble that we'll luck out and not get bed bugs or have drug deals going on in the next room - I heard hollering and screaming in the motel room next to mine and when the cops came I heard thru the wall that a man was stabbed to death next door. We've never had a problem of any kind in a WalMart parking lot.

Most of my boating friends say I should spend some effort/time/money 'cleaning her up'. To them, boats are something to be proud of, or maybe something flashy like jewelry. Big Duck is not pretty by any stretch of the imagination, but pretty costs time, money and worry and as long as The Duck will keep us safe and comfortable, we'd rather use those resources for adventure .
You're Way Cool!

I appreciate your input and wish you great future adventures!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote