Hard Bottom Paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might want to have a diver look/evaluate the bottom and zincs before you pull the boat, and while there to clean the running gear, through hulls and nay heavy growth. I have a diver twice a year to check the Eagle.

If you do pull make sure the boat is pressure washed complete. I like to let the hull dry so missed spots show up, and have them pressure wash again. Saves a lot of prep work. Make sure the hull is sanded as I have seen yards apply with out sanding. Also make sure you check in the yards work and status. Also make sure you pull at a yard that allow you and other to work on your boat.

Last edited:
I'm thinking, at least as far as boating is concerned, Washington State is the new California. You might want to consider some lobbying eforts while it's still legal to keep a boat in the water there.

We use our boat enough to keep the bottom cleaned off pretty good. And in this climate and water temperature, growth on the bottom is almost non-existent unless a boat sits for a couple of years or more without moving or being hauled out. Barnacles can be an issue on props, shafts, and rudders, hence our twice-a-year dives on the boat.

So the inability for divers to wipe down bottoms seems to be pretty much a non-issue for people who use their boats. Most of the boaters I know don't bother with a dive service at all other than perhaps to change zincs once a year or so.

So, not anything worth lobbying over.:)

We use our boat enough to keep the bottom cleaned off pretty good. And in this climate and water temperature, growth on the bottom is almost non-existent unless a boat sits for a couple of years or more without moving or being hauled out. Barnacles can be an issue on props, shafts, and rudders, hence our twice-a-year dives on the boat.

So the inability for divers to wipe down bottoms seems to be pretty much a non-issue for people who use their boats. Most of the boaters I know don't bother with a dive service at all other than perhaps to change zincs once a year or so.

So, not anything worth lobbying over.:)

They've outlawed copper bottom paint right? So now you and your fellow boaters will be the "guinea pigs".

I have my boat's bottom cleaned by my diver ten times per year (more or less) at a cost of $62 plus any anodes, etc. ...

Wow, that frequent? How warm is your water there? Yesterday, water in my marina was 58 degrees F.

Wow, that frequent? How warm is your water there? Yesterday, water in my marina was 58 degrees F.

Water temp is not the only determining factor in fouling rates. Salinity, nutrient level, sunlight etc. all play a part. I've had boaters in Florida who keep boats on relatively stagnant canals tell me they almost never need to clean their hulls. In San Diego, 15 times per year is typical.

Surely you jest. :rofl:
Fastbottoms, I`ve watched it being done. 2 or 3 guys rock up in a runabout with diving gear and take to the water with air jet pipes fed from a compressor. Seen the before and after pics the divers send me. If I get in the water with sponge and brush it does much more violence to the a/f coating than a compressed air cleaning, it often spells the end of the a/f.
Maybe I`m making a mistake doing it this way,I need to know, I`m close to requesting a cleaning job. Your online name shows a special interest, tell me why you think the method is a joke.

Fastbottoms, I`ve watched it being done. 2 or 3 guys rock up in a runabout with diving gear and take to the water with air jet pipes fed from a compressor. Seen the before and after pics the divers send me. If I get in the water with sponge and brush it does much more violence to the a/f coating than a compressed air cleaning, it often spells the end of the a/f.
Maybe I`m making a mistake doing it this way,I need to know, I`m close to requesting a cleaning job. Your online name shows a special interest, tell me why you think the method is a joke.

I've been in this business for over 18 years and have spoken with hull cleaners from many countries and have never heard of anybody using compressed air to clean a hull. I suspect what you saw were divers using the CaviBlaster, which delivers a "flame" of water and air bubbles through a very expensive wand that implodes fouling growth off of hulls. Not typically used for cleaning pleasure craft. Designed to clean extremely foul surfaces.

Cavidyne LLC

They've outlawed copper bottom paint right? So now you and your fellow boaters will be the "guinea pigs".

No, we can still use bottom paint with copper in it up here. That's what we had put on our boat this last spring. Don't know about California, though.

No, we can still use bottom paint with copper in it up here.

Not for long-

On May 4, 2011, Washington governor Chris Gregoire sounded the death knell for copper-based bottom paint in her state by signing into law a ban on the use of the product on recreational boats under 65 feet — the first state to do so. The law prohibits the sale of new boats with copper paint after January 1, 2018, and no paint with more than a half a percent of copper can be used starting in 2020.

Not for long-

On May 4, 2011, Washington governor Chris Gregoire sounded the death knell for copper-based bottom paint in her state by signing into law a ban on the use of the product on recreational boats under 65 feet — the first state to do so. The law prohibits the sale of new boats with copper paint after January 1, 2018, and no paint with more than a half a percent of copper can be used starting in 2020.

Isn't it clever how politicians have learned to write and pass laws that will take effect years from now once the public has forgotten who passed them?

I'd be concerned about that except---- due to work and travel requirements over the last few years we went more than four years between haulouts this last time. We'd schedule one and then I'd have to be out of town so we'd schedule again and so on.

By the time we finally hauled out this past spring, our bottom paint (Petit Ultima SR) was shot. If a month or so went by without us taking the boat out it would have a little fringe of weed along the waterline and a slime build-up below the waterline. The dive service we use twice a year kept the barnacles from getting too carried away with themselves but they said the bottom paint had long since lost its effectiveness. And of course they could not wipe the bottom down for us anymore.

So when we finally did haul this last spring we expected to see kind of a mess. But there wasn't. The paint was gone on the rudders and the through-hull screens but other than that, the bottom looked like it always has at a haulout.

The same thing has been observed by friends who haul out fairly infrequently, including one guy in our club who goes six to eight years between haulouts of his 40' sailboat. So based on that, I don't think the reduction of copper content in the paint up here is really going to mean much in reality.

I suspect what you saw were divers using the CaviBlaster, which delivers a "flame" of water and air bubbles through a very expensive wand that implodes fouling growth off of hulls. Not typically used for cleaning pleasure craft. Designed to clean extremely foul surfaces.
Cavidyne LLC
Thanks fstbttms, Could very well be that process,they do a lot of it so the special gear may be worthwhile. They definitely don`t just hand scrub. I never asked how they did it but it leaves the antifoul in ok shape. Glad to say my hull was not "extremely foul" but it was sure better and faster after they left.

As you may know, Skinny Dippin' is getting a "bottom reset". Media blasting the 20+ years of old paint off and getting a fairing a barrier coat applied. We have a unique and rare opportunity to change paint types. Since the first layer after the barrier coat is going to be hard bottom paint, we are strongly considering just using a second coat of hard paint and calling it done.
Thanks,
Tom-
Tom, and others. What about this permanent bottom paint. It sounds like the hard coat to beat all hard coats, but in view of its name, and therefore likely ingredient, would it (is it) legal in the US. I've often been tempted..... multiseason antifouling 10 years protection hard wearing copper filled epoxy resin copper antifoul

Tom, and others. What about this permanent bottom paint. It sounds like the hard coat to beat all hard coats, but in view of its name, and therefore likely ingredient, would it (is it) legal in the US. I've often been tempted..... multiseason antifouling 10 years protection hard wearing copper filled epoxy resin copper antifoul

From their website, that product sounds like the miracle product we've all been praying for. I wonder why it hasn't replaced all the other bottom paint products? ;)

OK, how about this: Many people swear that adding cayenne pepper to bottom paint makes it work much better. :rolleyes:

CopperCoat (and similar copper-loaded epoxies) have their fans and detractors. Those who've used it and claim it works well tend to keep their boats in low fouling waters for the most part, IMHO. I cannot recommend it, as it seems to perform very poorly here in the Bay Area. There has been quite a lot of discussion about it over on the Cruisers Forum, including some input from the company owner:

Coppercoat by Aquarius Marine Coatings UK - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Coppercoat bottom paint - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Has Anyone Used Copper Coat Antifouling ? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Copper Coat Bottom Paint - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Coppercoat Antifouling - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Clearly you have never spent any time at SailingAnarchy.com

No I have not. Not much interest in sailboats. I used to participate in the Cruisers Forum but the arguing and rudeness got to me.

For some reason, once some people get behind a keyboard, they forget how to get along with others.

For some reason, once some people get behind a keyboard, they forget how to get along with others.

It's the anonymity. There are no consequences for what you say on a forum like this so people say what they want. It's like when you drive home after a bad meeting and you have fun destroying the other people who were in the meeting by saying in your mind what you wish you could have said in person but you didn't because you didn't want to be fired. Forums like this are an opportunity to tell people exactly what you think of them but with no consequences whatsoever.

I have zero interest in ever meeting anyone on this forum (except Carey who we knew long before TF and RTF who I think would be a hoot) and so do not expect to ever confront anyone here in person. So, no risk in what I type.:)

Many people swear that adding cayenne pepper to bottom paint makes it work much better.
Wow! Pre spiced seafood for those who left the antifoul job too long.

Most boat drivers tend to be Type A and somewhat independant minded ..

Its not the keyboard they hide behind , its confidence in the validity of their ideas, usually backed by experience.

YRMV

Most boat drivers tend to be Type A and somewhat independant minded ..

Its not the keyboard they hide behind , its confidence in the validity of their ideas, usually backed by experience.

YRMV
I think they are just regular people who enjoy working outdoors with their hands. In a way, I envy them, but I wouldn't do what they do for what I pay them! :)

I did my bottom two years ago. Before I started I subscribed to the Interlux forum and posted several questions related to painting the bottom. A moderator who works for Interlux asked me several questions and then recommended a specific paint based on where I kept the boat and how often I used it among other things. He recommended a hard paint that goes against conventional wisdom by some folks who operate in a tropical environment. After two years it's still in good shape.
I believe Petit also has a forum, you might get some insight by subscribing.

I did my bottom two years ago. Before I started I subscribed to the Interlux forum and posted several questions related to painting the bottom. A moderator who works for Interlux asked me several questions and then recommended a specific paint based on where I kept the boat and how often I used it among other things. He recommended a hard paint that goes against conventional wisdom by some folks who operate in a tropical environment. After two years it's still in good shape.
I believe Petit also has a forum, you might get some insight by subscribing.

Petit has a paint selector on its website. Answer the questions and get the best paint for your situation. Well, the best Petit paint anyway. ;)

Unless a technical glitch removed some posts, our moderators have hard been at work on this thread. Those judgement calls are not easy. Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom