Looking to buy new props

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David O

Vessel Name
Lucky Dog
Vessel Make
Mainship 350 Trawler
I tore up a prop and the boat is out of the water to pull the props for reconditioning. I think I would like to buy a new set of props and keep the reconditioned ones for spares. Does anyone have any suggestions for a distributor with good pricing? I need a left and right handed, 4 bladed, 22 dia x 19 pitch for a 1.5" tapered shaft. I presently have bronze props.

I have no ideal what I hit but it definitely was not wood! It tore a 1/2" piece into a curl on one blade. One of those river things.

The four-bladed props on our boat came with the boat but are not the originals. GB36s were fitted with three-bladed props at the factory. Our props are Michigans which I have been told is a very good prop manufacturer. We had them completely reconditioned, re-pitched, and the diameter reduced at a prop shop in Seattle. A good prop shop can do some pretty amazing things although a blade damaged to the point yours has been might be past overhauling. If your prop can be re-worked try to use a shop that uses computer-based balancing and pitching. PropScan is one such system but there are others.

I bought several sets here Getaprop.com Quick shipping and good service

David O

Are your current props the right size? Accutech is another East Coast shop to check out.

If you boat in one area of the country, find a prop shop in that area. As others have noted make sure they do computer scans and can deliver the prop to xx (can't remember the xx) rating which isn't the way some props come from the manufacturer.

Unless you know the exact diameter, pitch, number of blades and blade area make sure that the shop will repitch the new props for free. Most will, some won't.

David

"I need a left and right handed, 4 bladed, 22 dia x 19 pitch for a 1.5" tapered shaft. I presently have bronze props."

I would have someone run the numbers for YOUR boat.

If 3 blade will work , they will be less costly , perhaps smoother and cheaper to operate underway with.

Over the years props get changed for a variety of reasons , not all make sense.

The 4 bladed, 22 x 19's are OEM. I would suspect that they went with 4 blades because of the small 4 cylinder Yanmars, they might be a little less smooth with 3 bladed props.....just guessing.

Props

Try these guys Ahoy propellers.

The usual reason for selecting more blades is to gain blade area for a small diameter prop.

The fewer blades the more efficient the prop will be.

Yes at one time tiny aircraft were fitted with a ONE blade prop (and counterweight), but they can swing a large diameter , most boats are diameter limited.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom