Stuffing box grease issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiku

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Carpe Diem
Vessel Make
Storebro 34
Last night when I was gathering last of the stuff from boat before winter I happened to take a closer look at my stuffing boxes. The other one is fine but there is this strange effect of prop shaft grease oozing out from the nut. I am quite sure that this was not happening during the season.

Is it possible that I have just used excessive force when using the greasers and that has caused the grease to burst? Do I need to take the box apart or just wipe it off and be happy again?

Attachments

• image-1334955429.jpg
    image-1334955429.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 139
Thats kinda the way I like mine to look , maybee a bit excessive even for me but for storage reasons I like grease ooze not water entering.

But with that being said its all good IMO as long as stuffing material has not been pushed out ? I am on a river and the silt can scar the shaft causing unusual wear with the stuffing. Also with this set up you can hide the need for a re pack. But you should know by the amount of water that comes through when using the boat over some time.

YMMV

Great, thanks. It' my first shaft drive boat so I'm better off asking than doing something stupid.

For reference, here is a picture of the other one. This one dripped more water during last seasons travels. I usually screwed couple of rounds of grease after getting to port and if the boat was left for a longer time I screwed some extra, so that the box would not drip.

Attachments

• image-2104557672.jpg
    image-2104557672.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 153
Greece is good but have you tried tightening the Stuffing box a little.
if you keep pumping Greece into it. It has gotta go somewhere.
Water is easier to clean up then gobs of Greece

The stuffing box should drip a little.

SD

Last edited:
I have not yet done any tightening. For what I know it seems that there is still plenty of turns left in these boxes before I need to repack them. I'll give the tightening a go and report back in May when the season starts again.

Meanwhile, I found this link that proved useful for a newbie like me. http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

SD

You are probably correct in that it could use a simple adjustment.

Tiku

I did not realize this be your first shaft drive experience. Most stuffing box's in pleasure boats do not have the ability to accept grease.

The grease system is used to stop the water drip during idle periods only

You pump just enough grease to stop the water drip after shutting down for the day or during winter layup

You need a slow water drip to cool the stuffing box while the shaft is turning

"The grease system is used to stop the water drip during idle periods only

You pump just enough grease to stop the water drip after shutting down for the day or during winter layup

You need a slow water drip to cool the stuffing box while the shaft is turning"

RIGHT! .

What the grease looks like after the water pushes it out of the way so the water can cool the stuffing box is of no concern.

Thanks to all who replied. It sure is nicer to have insights and advice rather than having to guess if something is right or not..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom