View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #90
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
There is a wide range of a varying scale conundrum regarding using any specific percentage annual use cost “average” (i.e. 10%) to the original “fully paid for” purchase price of a boat; 1st time boat owners need to understand cost comparisons on a similar condition and style used 38’ boat (new boat cost comparisons and financed boat cost comparisons are a whole different boat-cost-game):

1. Used 38’ boat purchase price of $30K at $10K average annual usage cost... i.e. docking, repair, fuel, new items etc fees = 33.3...%
2. Used 38’ boat purchase price of $60K at $10K average annual usage cost... i.e. docking, repair, fuel, new items etc fees = 16.5...%
3. Used 38’ boat purchase price of $100K at $10K average annual usage cost... i.e. docking, repair, fuel, new items etc fees = 10.0...%

I use these simple figures (on 38’ boats that are in similar condition, using same annual use fees, but with widely varied purchase prices) to let newbie boat owners understand that annual use fees as an annual percentage of their original boat cost can vary hugely by their percent yet remain in a basically similar monthly dollar expense range. Today’s unsettled boat-value market can amount to wide swings in purchase price of similar boats, often depending on location of boat and PO’s financial/life condition. However, with that said, the annual use fees may stay in similar dollar-cost range due to pressures on yacht harbors to keep their prices attractive.

On post # 13 of page one in this thread I depict my general expenses that come to Total Annual Cost of $7,700 for $148 Bucks Per Week to own and enjoy our craft out and about on the water. Our Tolly, needing little in upgrades, was in great condition from day one of our ownership and we keep her that way. Our purchase price was affordable... due to PO’s circumstances/events. So, our reasonable $7,700 annual use-cost is far from 10% of the original boat price to us.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote