12V light fixture dimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JD

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Di Mare
Vessel Make
Mainship 34t
My 2006 34t has several switches on the 12V lighting that I would like to use a dimmer control. That being said here are a few obstacles to overcome. One is that the light switches are Vimar 250V 3.5cm long x 2.1 cm wide x 2.6 cm deep rocker style. On the Vimar site they have a dimmer that size but it is for 120V or 240 V @ $45 each. So the question is does it have to be a 12V dimmer or will these work for the tune of $200?

Yes the other way is to put 12V dimmers in line with each switch but that means four or five of them and that will clutter up the place. These are mounted very neatly on the side cherry wood bulkhead. I could insert the 12V dimmers above the uppers and below the lowers but I really would rather not.

Thanks.

This is how I would do it

Replace your existing switches with the two way momentary rockers that I linked to
The light output is increased to full (or any desired brightness) when the switch is momentarily pushed up,and reduced to 0 on the down position
You will need to add these hard wire dimmers (available in various amp ratings)
Digital Dimmer (10 Ampere) - PN 7503 - Blue Sea Systems
And wire it all up (or have an electriction do the work)
Note: they are not simple inline dimmers,you will need to reroute and add at least one or more wires to the switches
It will depend if you have reasonable access to the wiring
The result will look perfect
Size the dimmer modules amp rating 30% higher than your load draw if using halogen lamps to compensate for their higher inrush current
Note also that these types of dimmers will not work on led lamp replacements

This is how I would do it

Replace your existing switches with the two way momentary rockers that I linked to
The light output is increased to full (or any desired brightness) when the switch is momentarily pushed up,and reduced to 0 on the down position
You will need to add these hard wire dimmers (available in various amp ratings)
Digital Dimmer (10 Ampere) - PN 7503 - Blue Sea Systems
And wire it all up (or have an electriction do the work)
Note: they are not simple inline dimmers,you will need to reroute and add at least one or more wires to the switches
It will depend if you have reasonable access to the wiring
The result will look perfect
Size the dimmer modules amp rating 30% higher than your load draw if using halogen lamps to compensate for their higher inrush current
Note also that these types of dimmers will not work on led lamp replacements

Thanks

The new replacement Deckhand Dimmer 7507 and 7508 will also work with the LED's as well.

http://bluesea.com/files/resources/sales_sheets/DeckHand-Dimmer.pdf

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom