The start of a nice project (clipper 30ft)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A very nice solution for a generator that is not needed full time. I have a 3000 watt inverter on my boat which handles about everything I do. I've gone a full weekend with the inverter on and had some juice left when I fired up the engine on Monday morning. I would have liked a set up like yours, however, for the peace of mind.

Again, well done.

IF the interior under the engine is bare GRP, no paint , no gel coat , I would leave it bare.

The reason is in a haed grounding that would be a likely area for the keel to be stressed.

Should the glass be stressed enough to cracked it would be nice to know , and visible with no paint in the way.

My Clipper has the 6 cyl 120 HP Lehman. Same engine as yours with 2 more cylinders. I cruise at 1750 rpm. Max rpm is about 2400

Erik.....I got in very late on this thread, but I just wanted to tell you what an incredible job you've done on your boat. If you ever see me posting pictures of my boat representing such quality, their Photo-Shopped!

Well, here we go again, the second part of the renovations.
The V-berth had to go (orders from the admiral) as she didn't sleep well.
So here some pictures from before and during .... we found of course a bit of rot in the floor ... so a new beam and floor is on the cards.
Then we will move the toilet to starboard, remove the bunk beds, remove the v-berth and put a double bed in (just following instructions)
Hope all goes well .... I think its just money (well??) spend.
Erik

Attachments

• ShipShape Reno (1).jpg
    ShipShape Reno (1).jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 165
  • Ship Shape Reno 001.jpg
    Ship Shape Reno 001.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Under Floor (1).jpg
    Under Floor (1).jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Upper Floor and Under Floor.jpg
    Upper Floor and Under Floor.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC02574.jpg
    DSC02574.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC02575.jpg
    DSC02575.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC02576.jpg
    DSC02576.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC02577.jpg
    DSC02577.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC02581.jpg
    DSC02581.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 158
This I will be very interested to see. The dimensions of our 34 up front are not much different from yours, Erik, and we also find the Vee berths the one other thing we would like to change.

This I will be very interested to see. The dimensions of our 34 up front are not much different from yours, Erik, and we also find the Vee berths the one other thing we would like to change.

Hi Peter,
Good to hear from you again .... Am in Sydney for the moment, flying into Brisbane tomorrow. I think your V-berth much have a little more space, isn't it? ... so if it works for me, should be no problem for you. Sure, just drop in once and a while to se how it's going ... should be finished by the end of the month and THEN we will definitely go for a run he ....

Erik

Well, we found a little bit more rot than expected .... but nothing serious ... just a few new beams ... new floor ... and we're ready to build on that

Attachments

• DSC02737.JPG
    DSC02737.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC02732.JPG
    DSC02732.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC02731.JPG
    DSC02731.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 147
progress

Attachments

• Ship Shape prog 003.jpg
    Ship Shape prog 003.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Ship Shape prog 006.jpg
    Ship Shape prog 006.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 151
You're brave Eric...very brave....but I'll be extremely keen to see the finished outcome. Are you working on her in at Bruce's or out on the hard outside?

well ... sorry to take so long .... but it's finished .... no comment , just I am very happy ... and pictures will tell you why ....

Attachments

• IMG_0945.jpg
    IMG_0945.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0944.jpg
    IMG_0944.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0943.jpg
    IMG_0943.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0942.jpg
    IMG_0942.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0935.jpg
    IMG_0935.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0934.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 164
shipshape
Wow! That is a fantastic outcome.

Are you a carpenter or similar? I am a citizen Joe handynman and I need to replace a rotten fwd floor but not sure if I have your cojones...
By the way how do you glass up the hidden side of the new ply floor to the hull? Or do you only do the visible side?

Good work.

Fantastic outcome Erik & Bridgette. Well done. I wouldn't have thought it possible. A lot of work....hmmmmmm...

Very nice! Well done..

Elwin

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Gemma said:
shipshape
Wow! That is a fantastic outcome.

Are you a carpenter or similar? I am a citizen Joe handynman and I need to replace a rotten fwd floor but not sure if I have your cojones...
By the way how do you glass up the hidden side of the new ply floor to the hull? Or do you only do the visible side?

Good work.

sorry Gemma, I just own it ... , and pay for it .... the admiral of the fleet tells me what she wants, I pay ... someone else does the work for me ....

Now I know how Bruce Forsythe financed his new Lotus Esprit Turbo Erik.

Final result

Pictures of the final result

Attachments

• DSb02592.jpg
    DSb02592.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC02593.jpg
    DSC02593.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC02594.jpg
    DSC02594.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC02595.jpg
    DSC02595.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC02596.jpg
    DSC02596.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 149
Now that's a great Christmas present.

That's an interesting place to put a VHF radio.

Hi Erik, are you two going to be out there in her over the Xmas New Year period at all? We are hoping to do what the weather prevented this time last year, and go down to the Wavebreak Thursday 27th, for an early up-anchor & departure next morning on the last part of the rising tide, (About 7 am), out through the Seaway and over the Southport bar, then travel up the outside of the Straddie and Moreton Islands, to the top of Moreton Island, then come inside the Bay and trickle down via Tangalooma, Big Sandhills and Canaipa probably, and back to base over the next 4 days.
Of course if the weather turns unfavourable again, then we would just stay inside the Bay, and frequent the usual haunts I suppose. Any chance of linking up? We are keen to see Shipshape in the ummm, flesh is not right, in the fibreglass doesn't sound right either...you know what I mean.....

Pete
I think you have my mobile number..?

Last edited:
Hi mate. Can you please help me? I am curious as to how the vinyl ceiling panels have been fitted as I can't see any fixings in it other than the down lights. If you could tell me how it's done I would be so grateful as I want to do the vinyl wrapped panels with down lights on my ceiling when I get to that stage of the build so if I need to prepare the cabin a certain way when I'm building it I'd rather do it now than modify it later.

Cheers mate!

Matt

iPad Forum Runner

Some use velcro, some wooden strips, some glue (ugh). Go to a boat show and ask around and I betcha you'll find a few others too.

Very nice. The Admiral should enjoy that as I am sure you will.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Hi Erik, are you two going to be out there in her over the Xmas New Year period at all? We are hoping to do what the weather prevented this time last year, and go down to the Wavebreak Thursday 27th, for an early up-anchor & departure next morning on the last part of the rising tide, (About 7 am), out through the Seaway and over the Southport bar, then travel up the outside of the Straddie and Moreton Islands, to the top of Moreton Island, then come inside the Bay and trickle down via Tangalooma, Big Sandhills and Canaipa probably, and back to base over the next 4 days.
Of course if the weather turns unfavourable again, then we would just stay inside the Bay, and frequent the usual haunts I suppose. Any chance of linking up? We are keen to see Shipshape in the ummm, flesh is not right, in the fibreglass doesn't sound right either...you know what I mean.....

Pete
I think you have my mobile number..?

Hi Pete,
Yes we keep missing each other ... been very busy, still in Sydney as we speak .... I am booked on an early flight on Xmas day to visit the kids, we will stay on the boat on the 25th and 26th, but back to Sydney on early 27th ... I am promising you as soon ads I have a week of .. I'll try to catch up ... dzjee soo much boat ... soo little time .... I will probably back in QLD end of Jan. Have a merry Xams and a nice end of year .... talk soon.
E

Hi mate. Can you please help me? I am curious as to how the vinyl ceiling panels have been fitted as I can't see any fixings in it other than the down lights. If you could tell me how it's done I would be so grateful as I want to do the vinyl wrapped panels with down lights on my ceiling when I get to that stage of the build so if I need to prepare the cabin a certain way when I'm building it I'd rather do it now than modify it later.

Cheers mate!

Matt

iPad Forum Runner
Hoi Matt,
Originally it was done with Velcro .... but the velcro strips came of the timber beams (prepd with ply) (the glue didn't hold) and the velcro strips weren't the full length of the board , so what we have done now is , have little bracket to hold each of the panels up, and just the last one we hold up with velcro, we glued the velcro to the timber and stapled them as well ... and it seems to hold .... you could probably glue and staple the velcro all the way .... as long as you use the full length of the board with velcro. We found that it was holding OK except in very hot weather ...
Attached a picture of the preparation, sorry if it is not very clear, please ask ....
Cheers. Erik

Attachments

• DSC02293.jpg
    DSC02293.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 125
That's an interesting place to put a VHF radio.

I thought it was ok .. and the easiest to get the cables to ... :) but very well spotted .... thought people would put more attention to the rest :) fun ... lol .. haha

Hi Pete,
Yes we keep missing each other ... been very busy, still in Sydney as we speak .... I am booked on an early flight on Xmas day to visit the kids, we will stay on the boat on the 25th and 26th, but back to Sydney on early 27th ... I am promising you as soon ads I have a week of .. I'll try to catch up ... dzjee soo much boat ... soo little time .... I will probably back in QLD end of Jan. Have a merry Xams and a nice end of year .... talk soon.
E

Ok, Erik. We will think of you while out there. However, we must eventually link up, surely.
PS. Sending this on my new iPad. Now, all I have to do is download that Garmin Blue Chart App. Then I will really be cooking. It will be good backup to my Lowrance, and for the fly bridge. Now it is up to a good weather window.

Hoi Matt,
Originally it was done with Velcro .... but the velcro strips came of the timber beams (prepd with ply) (the glue didn't hold) and the velcro strips weren't the full length of the board , so what we have done now is , have little bracket to hold each of the panels up, and just the last one we hold up with velcro, we glued the velcro to the timber and stapled them as well ... and it seems to hold .... you could probably glue and staple the velcro all the way .... as long as you use the full length of the board with velcro. We found that it was holding OK except in very hot weather ...
Attached a picture of the preparation, sorry if it is not very clear, please ask ....
Cheers. Erik

Heya Erik
Thanks for your reply mate.

iPad Forum Runner

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom