View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #21
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Lehman Idle Speed

Quote:
RickB wrote:

*The engines do use a mechanical supercharger to deliver charge air. It is a gear driven 2-speed centrifugal blower.
You're right, I forgot that.* The power recovery blowers got all the publicity * When I moved to Hawaii the Navy had a fleet of radar picket planes on the south ramp of Honolulu Airport.* They were part of the Cold War DEW line--- they would fly out and hold station for hours and hours*over points in the Pacific watching for incoming Soviet bombers.* Whenever they fired these things up (they had the Wright R-3350 engines in them) the entire airport would disappear in a fog of blue-white smoke.* You could see it from downtown Honolulu (no high-rises to block the view*in those days).

The other thing I remember from my countless flights to the mainland and back as a kid*on Stratocruisers and DC-7s was*the ENDLESS engine warm-up before takeoff.* I think they spent as much time warming the engines up as they did making the flight.

And now before John cuts us off we should get back to talking about marine diesels.......
Attached Thumbnails
lockheed wv-2.jpg   lockheed wv-2 2.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote