Old 11-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #57
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwester View Post
CW,
I was given the 10% of purchase price information when I bought my first boat and annual expenses and maintenance have been pretty close to that on both of the boats that I have owned. The first boat was 25' and this one is 51' loa.

When buying our present boat, I was told by a very experienced boating friend that I would spend 25% of the purchase cost in the first couple of years upgrading the boat to fit our needs. Because we were buying a 3 year old boat, I didn't believe him. Two years later I tallied the costs of upgrades and it was almost exactly 25%. These weren't required expenses, they were upgrades to make the boat what my wife and I wanted it to be.

I'm not saying that everyone is going to do this, but be aware that the desire to adapt a boat to your style and needs can cost a lot the first few years. One other expense we have because we charter our boat is increased wear and tear. I budget $5,000 a year for that expense, but have needed only a fraction of that so far. The balance of that money stays in an account to pay for any large unforeseen expenses related to the charter business.
Lyle
Lyle

I like the look of your Tolly... good to see another Tolly on TF!

She a 44. 45 or 48'? We might upsize from our 1977 34' Tolly t c to a larger t c Tolly. What year is yours and what speed is your cruise? Also, your engines are?

Happy Tolly Boating Daze! Cheers, Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote