A lesson learned . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I wonder who the guilty parties usually are????? :socool:

Those guy with a few hundred hours a year????

.... or the guys with a thousand hours per year that have to run boats that are in all kinds of states of disrepair and jury rigged. .... because that's what the commercial marine industry sometimes expects out of a captain...to know the difference between textbook and reality.

BS perpetuated by boating forums. :banghead:

no, that is what the insurance adjuster informed me of when he was investagating a claim i had placed for freezing damage in Feb 1991. Don't take my word, call your marine insurance agent and ask him/her. It may have changed since then

no, that is what the insurance adjuster informed me of when he was investagating a claim i had placed for freezing damage in Feb 1991. Don't take my word, call your marine insurance agent and ask him/her. It may have changed since then

Freezing damage is not a result of product...it's a result of methodology or lack of...:D

Greetings,
When the boat is left unattended for extended periods of time ( sometimes for months) we leave 5 table fans, in various areas, running 24/7 for ventilation purposes and to discourage mold. Works quite well. Nary a bad odor or trace of mold in the last 5 years.
Now, we bought a new set of fans at Ace Hardware for ~$20 ea. about 2 or 3 years ago-there has been 1 failure.
West Marine lists a table fan for $99. Neither ours nor WM's (as far as I can tell from the catalog) are labelled marine and it seems both would do the same job. Surely WM wouldn't be selling non marine items but you tell me Mr. 4445, $100 or $500?

Does anyone else have the suspicion most filters are made by one manufacturer and sold under a range of brands?
But, I imagine most of us play it safe and go for something we think is from a reputable maker, if not OEM. It is not worth the risk. I use Baldwin, a previous mechanic did and the engine stayed together.

Lest we forget, Baldwin is a born and bred American company. (Not like that means something to EVERYONE here... our international community and all. ya' know)

PSNEELD ask Ford about cheap oil filters, costing them $ on cam variator issues due to cheap filters.

I for one called the battery manufacture before the purchase of new batteries. Spoke with the Engineering department.

Marine batteries are in fact different.

They told me they install a different label, the label says marine grade. And, nothing else.

PSNEELD ask Ford about cheap oil filters, costing them $ on cam variator issues due to cheap filters.

I never said use cheap filters...funny how some people with limited scope always want to insert their opinions into your posts.....:rolleyes:

I just said the marine brand filters/OEM may not be the best filter you can buy or that it's worth OEM/marine when there is a similar product.

I'm an educated consumer...not a sheep...:socool:

I want to learn something about those "marine spec" ring gears and pinions.

Now, doesn't that feel better Rick. You were going blue there for a while..that can be dangerous to your health....he..he

I just like learning new things and maybe I missed something about ring gears and pinions that will help my clients save money and have more dependable yachts.

I am the first to admit that I don't know everything ... but I don't hesitate to call BS when I see it and smell it.

Freezing damage is not a result of product...it's a result of methodology or lack of...:D

I thought the comment was in regards to using automotive parts in marine applications and my mention of the freezing damage was because it was the incident that made me aware of the insurancew companies position on non marine parts used in marine applications.

Sorry for the lack of clarification or my getting me threads confused which ever
:)

Does anyone else have the suspicion most filters are made by one manufacturer and sold under a range of brands?

This is true to a large degree with many products. Televisions, home appliances, batteries, etc. are made to different specs by a relatively few number of manufacturers. In the days of VHS tape players/recorders there were two companies on the planet that actually made them. Sony was one and I think Mitsubishi was the other but I could be mistaken on that. All the other brands were manufactured by these two companies to whatever specs were dictated by the customer company.

It is my understanding that there are two auto battery manufacturers in the US. Every battery-- Die Hard, Interstate, Les Schwab etc., etc. etc. is made by one of these two manufacturers. All that changes are the specs, case design, labels, etc.

Filters are undoubtedly the same way. I don't know how many actual manufacturers there are in this case, but there won't be nearly as many as there are brands.

I thought the comment was in regards to using automotive parts in marine applications and my mention of the freezing damage was because it was the incident that made me aware of the insurancew companies position on non marine parts used in marine applications.

Sorry for the lack of clarification or my getting me threads confused which ever
:)

You were clear and so was I....;)
Insurance companies can't deny a claim for a non marine part if it's application was OK...just like a warranty is still valid even if you don't use OEM....they have to "prove" that the part was inappropriate not just faulty.

You were clear and so was I....;)
Insurance companies can't deny a claim for a non marine part if it's application was OK...just like a warranty is still valid even if you don't use OEM....they have to "prove" that the part was inappropriate not just faulty.

good to know thanks. I would have thought the burden of proof would be on the boat owner not the insurance company. .........wait a minute...how can the use of parts not intended for the application be covered if disclosed? Your saying that u can do what ever u wish and the insurance company will accept responsibility?? If thats true why are there so many foot notes on my policy of things not covered?

good to know thanks. I would have thought the burden of proof would be on the boat owner not the insurance company. .........wait a minute...how can the use of parts not intended for the application be covered if disclosed? Your saying that u can do what ever u wish and the insurance company will accept responsibility?? If thats true why are there so many foot notes on my policy of things not covered?

That's NOT what I am saying...your misconception that everything has to be bought at West Marine is a telltale sign of your very limited boating experience and brainwashing by boating magazines...shines like an old time lighthouse...:socool:

That's NOT what I am saying...your misconception that everything has to be bought at West Marine is a telltale sign of your very limited boating experience and brainwashing by boating magazines...shines like an old time lighthouse...:socool:

I did not state that everything must be bought at west marine i simply stated that west marine was an option for the purchase of marine parts and equipment and that only marine grade parts should be used on a boat.
Yes my boating experiance is limited, as is yours, everyones. I learned many years cago that if u do a job properly the first time its not likely u will have to do it again.

This forum is fun reading. We have a guy who posts he can't find what he needs at Lowes. In fact he drives 30 miles to not find what he needs, but instead finds it at a Napa. Ok fine. Then it morphs into 4 pages the usual bickering. Here's my contribution, McMaster-Carr.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

I did not state that everything must be bought at west marine i simply stated that west marine was an option for the purchase of marine parts and equipment and that only marine grade parts should be used on a boat.
Yes my boating experiance is limited, as is yours, everyones. I learned many years cago that if u do a job properly the first time its not likely u will have to do it again.
That's why sometime I DON"T use marine stuff as it is not up to the task.

or....sometimes... is so overpriced it's out of reach so I'll make do with something lesser and install it as bulletproof as possible.

This forum is fun reading. We have a guy who posts he can't find what he needs at Lowes. In fact he drives 30 miles to not find what he needs, but instead finds it at a Napa. Ok fine. Then it morphs into 4 pages the usual bickering. Here's my contribution, McMaster-Carr.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Trawler
Good Point! That's OK, in a few weeks another thread will get started in which non marine is a BAD thing:ermm: Personally, I see the construction/ industrial industry mostly running Baldwin or Wix/ Napa. And these applications are generally much more demanding than our marine applications. So for me, those suppliers are adequate.

That's why sometime I DON"T use marine stuff as it is not up to the task.

or....sometimes... is so overpriced it's out of reach so I'll make do with something lesser and install it as bulletproof as possible.

I used to do that when a kid and then when i started seeing the result of automotive electrical, fuel system and engine components used in marine applications i learned to bite the bullet and just pay the price for parts designed to live long lives in a marine environment. If you live at the dock it really dosent matter as long as when you sell your boat you make full disclosure so the new owner dosent loose his life because of your non marine repair work.
Looks nice is not good enough when your life may depend upon it?

chuckle.....i can just see u in heavy seas with a sudden loss of power because of a walmart part thinking of all the money you saved as the noise of the crashing breakers grows louder.

I'm not trying to be confortational just trying to help others avoid property damage or catastrophic loss. If u break down in your car u just get out and walk or wait for a tow. In the sea its likely u will be visiting Davey Jones before help arrives if any is available. A walmart part is like playing russian roulette if offshore or at the bar.

I used to do that when a kid and then when i started seeing the result of automotive electrical, fuel system and engine components used in marine applications i learned to bite the bullet and just pay the price for parts designed to live long lives in a marine environment. If you live at the dock it really dosent matter as long as when you sell your boat you make full disclosure so the new owner dosent loose his life because of your non marine repair work.
Looks nice is not good enough when your life may depend upon it?

chuckle.....i can just see u in heavy seas with a sudden loss of power because of a walmart part thinking of all the money you saved as the noise of the crashing breakers grows louder.

I'm not trying to be confortational just trying to help others avoid property damage or catastrophic loss. If u break down in your car u just get out and walk or wait for a tow. In the sea its likely u will be visiting Davey Jones before help arrives if any is available. A walmart part is like playing russian roulette if offshore or at the bar.

If you only knew my background...the chuckle is on you....:rofl:

Like I posted the other day...I'm not the only one posting the "non-marine" theme here...you seem to have a "target fixation" problem about a few things...:D

If you only knew my background...the chuckle is on you....:rofl:

Like I posted the other day...I'm not the only one posting the "non-marine" theme here...you seem to have a "target fixation" problem about a few things...:D

Nor you mine

no, just answer comments as they are posted.

Baldwin and Racor here.

I know them and trust them. The oil is the life blood of an engine and I feel is cheap insurance to protect that very expensive piece of equipment. I have been around equipment all my life. You may never know that a cheap filter has caused the demise of your engine. Why take the chance?

Again...I don't think anyone here would remotely suggest a cheap filter...just not necessarily one that's 2x the cost at a Marine store or a hard to get OEM filter.

Back
Top Bottom