Propane Bottle Location Requirements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yezzir Gonzo, we cook on our George Foreman grill, it sure beats gas and defers discussion about exploding butane bottles, surveyors and cupboards for propane jugs. BTW, your favorite BBQ sauce for the stuff we grill is ------ ?

No argument here, Gonzo.

So the survey comes back and the surveyor writes up about twelve things. One stanchion had a weld crack, the coating was pealing off of some of the life lines, no Grd Fault plugs in the heads and galley and the biggie was there was no electric solenoid shut off system for the CNG tank. So my insurance company was happy to move forward with my assurance that it will all be repaired in the next 3 months.
I fixed the stanchion, put in a couple of Grd fault plugs and never did any more. Luckily the insurance company never asked for proof of repairs and I sold the boat five years later.
US and Australian insurance law may differ, but it is likely the insured`s duty of disclosure,and mutual obligations of "utmost good faith", are universal. If US law says you can obtain and maintain insurance based on a promise you don`t keep without informing the insurer, ignore this post.
If, as part of obtaining insurance, you tell the insurer certain items will be repaired in 3 months, but don`t and don`t tell the insurer, if an unrepaired item causes loss, you are in trouble with the insurance. They don`t have to ask for proof you did the repair,they rely on your assurance you would. The insurance contract is on the basis the repairs were done, as you represented.
If any of the above concerns you, ignore it and obtain your own advice.

:offtopic:Speaking for all the southerners here, let's make one thing PERFECTLY CLEAR! The device you cook on is NOT A BBQ... it is GRILL!!

You will have to tell the manufacturers this, not us. The "grill" we have on our boat is called a barbecue by the manufacturer, Dickinson, and the product is called a Sea-B-Que.

Last edited:
You will have to tell the manufacturers this, not us. The "grill" we have on our boat is called a barbecue by the manufacturer, Dickinson, and the product is called a Sea-B-Que.

Riiiight. So you believe that's a rack of ribs in the McRib just because the manufacturer says it is? :rofl:

:offtopic:Speaking for all the southerners here, let's make one thing PERFECTLY CLEAR! The device you cook on is NOT A BBQ... it is GRILL!! Nor is inviting friends over to cook on said grill. You are not "having a BBQ". What you are doing is having a COOK-OUT!! What you cook on it could be considered BBQ if certain criteria are met, but not always. Hot dogs and hamburgers are NOT BBQ either!

Now back to your regularly scheduled argument. :hide:

Tom-
Absolutely right Tom. The only place you can enjoy a true barbeque, is here, down-under. Now here they really know how to make barbeques......
Barbeques Galore - Products - Barbeques

:offtopic:Speaking for all the southerners here, let's make one thing PERFECTLY CLEAR! The device you cook on is NOT A BBQ... it is GRILL!!

Couldn't agree more. My Weber is great for some things but I can't get pulled pork or a brisket out of it. Even ribs are difficult and very hit-or-miss. So I see one of these in my near future, maybe Christmas. But I don't see it being on the boat, ever.

Attachments

• BGE.png
    BGE.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 177
:offtopic:Speaking for all the southerners here, let's make one thing PERFECTLY CLEAR! The device you cook on is NOT A BBQ... it is GRILL!! Nor is inviting friends over to cook on said grill. You are not "having a BBQ". What you are doing is having a COOK-OUT!! What you cook on it could be considered BBQ if certain criteria are met, but not always. Hot dogs and hamburgers are NOT BBQ either!

Tom-

Don't forget that in East (not eastern) Carolina it is a "pig picking" and Parker's corn sticks are the best.

Couldn't agree more. My Weber is great for some things but I can't get pulled pork or a brisket out of it. Even ribs are difficult and very hit-or-miss. So I see one of these in my near future, maybe Christmas. But I don't see it being on the boat, ever.

Yes, you can do brisket on a Weber. After smoking several hours wrap it in foil for the last two hours or so. That keeps it moist and tenderizes it.

Gonzo is correct here. Barbecue is a method of cooking by indirect heat in the smoke of a wood fire. What we commonly call smoking. Anything cooked over direct heat is grilled. Barbecue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In all due respect to our friends Down Under most of the cookers depicted were really grills for cooking over direct heat. Nothing wrong with that, but in the South that is not barbecue.

Texas for brisket, Memphis for ribs, East Carolina for whole pig, Tenn Ala Ga for pulled pork. Now that's barbecue cooked long and at low temps.

Riiiight. So you believe that's a rack of ribs in the McRib just because the manufacturer says it is? :rofl:

Nope, but here in the real world (PNW) the device and the cooking is called "barbeque." If you folks down in flat country want to call it a grill, that's just fine with us. But don't come up here and start talking about a "grill" because everyone will think you're either talking about the front of your car or a police interview.:)

Yes, you can do brisket on a Weber. After smoking several hours wrap it in foil for the last two hours or so. That keeps it moist and tenderizes it.

Yeah, I know. And I could do pulled pork too. But, like with the ribs, it's a real PITA to keep feeding charcoal into the grill and trying to maintain a steady, low-and-slow temperature. The Big Green Egg is supposed to have overcome these hassles. OTOH, it's a tremendous amount of money to pay for the a couple pulled pork or brisket sandwiches with a Beefalo Bob's just down the street. :D

No way, Marin! :D

And since we're already far off topic, I'll continue .... around here pit beef is a staple. I've recently heard that pit beef is a Maryland thing and is pretty much unheard of in the south. Can any of you good 'ol southern boys confirm that?

And since we're already far off topic, I'll continue .... around here pit beef is a staple. I've recently heard that pit beef is a Maryland thing and is pretty much unheard of in the south. Can any of you good 'ol southern boys confirm that?

In the South pork is king. You can find a little beef brisket every now and then. In Texas mainly beef. Around Kansas City they have both beef and pork. The difference in the South is the sauce used on the pork. In Memphis it is a dry rub. In the Carolinas it is usually a vinegar based sauce. In other parts of the South it is a thicker sometimes molasses based sweeter sauce. They all have their fans.

You know when you are in a classy barbecue place in the South. At Dreamland Barbecue in Birmingham there is a sign over the bar that says, "No Farting".

I thought Gov. Nikki Haley was going to fix that pork in a barrel thing?

Ebb food

Everything is better with bacon. And butter and well beer .

BBQ oyster wrapped in bacon or is that grilled oyster wrapped in bacon.

Greetings,
Oysters wrapped in bacon, GRILLED!!!! OMG you're KILLING them!!!!!! I would NEVER eat a dead oyster. It, it, it....just isn't right!

Greetings,
Oysters wrapped in bacon, GRILLED!!!! OMG you're KILLING them!!!!!! I would NEVER eat a dead oyster. It, it, it....just isn't right!

TC - RT and its all about the bacon.

But oysters raw yup , oyster candy ( first nations smoke ) yup, oyster stew awsome, oyster grilled and dipped in viniger and butter to die for.

I have not met an oyster I did not enjoy RT.

:thumb:

"I have not met an oyster I did not enjoy" RT.

I have had some that did not work ,

I Guess 70 isn't the new 19?

Gonzo is correct here. Barbecue is a method of cooking by indirect heat in the smoke of a wood fire. What we commonly call smoking. Anything cooked over direct heat is grilled. Barbecue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In all due respect to our friends Down Under most of the cookers depicted were really grills for cooking over direct heat. Nothing wrong with that, but in the South that is not barbecue.
Point of order Don. The BBQs depicted have all got lids. I agree the open type of method cooking over direct heat is grilling, but once you close a lid, (and turn the heat down, which is also usually done with lid down), then although not smoking it in quite the traditional way, (which now tends to be referred to as smoked), this method by common usage is now also called barbequing...I believe...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grilling

Last edited:
Point of order Don. The BBQs depicted have all got lids. I agree the open type of method cooking over direct heat is grilling, but once you close a lid, (and turn the heat down, which is also usually done with lid down), then although not smoking it in quite the traditional way, (which now tends to be referred to as smoked), this method by common usage is now also called barbequing...I believe...
Grilling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the burner heats wood chips to make smoke, and the meat is not over direct heat it is smoking. I have a grill with hood for grilling steaks. Very high temperature infrared type grates. Love it. Also have a smoker.

Has anyone tried a stove top smoker. I have one like this that works superbly. Great for a short rack of ribs or maple glazed smoked salmon. You can smoke in any weather. Very little smoke escapes the sealed top.

Camerons Stovetop Smoker - Camerons Smoker | cutleryandmore.com

No pit beef around here (I'm originally from MD). Very hard to find scrapple also. :mad:

Pit beef all over Texas. Some over 100 years old. Now that's a nice cure! Just have to find them in the small, old towns.

Pit beef all over Texas. Some over 100 years old. Now that's a nice cure! Just have to find them in the small, old towns.
Aaaaah, beef....100 yrs old...? No matter how well cured you're welcome mate. I'll just stick to 'Hog's Breath' slow cooked for 14 hrs not 100 yrs...

I'll just stick to 'Hog's Breath' slow cooked for 14 hrs not 100 yrs...

Although the French (who else ?) rave about stew where the pot simply gets more ingredients daily , and hasn't been emptied or cleaned in a century or so.

Geeee Whizzzz Good People... I’ve read many of the early posts in both threads... What is the BIG Rub here?? :facepalm:

Why are you constantly, needlessly battering upon each other? The end result should be that safety for all concerned using propane is all that’s really important. For goodness sake, I've owned boats with propane, hand pump alcohol, electric and even a mobile butane fueled stove. Each type has its own complications for reasons of safety. As we all know, propane sinks in air. Therefore, in a secure, valve-safe and weather-safe location its pressure tank must be well ventilated via total openness away from any openings leading to inside the boat or totally sealed in a containment area that has sealed tubes leading completely overboard and away from any openings leading to inside the boat. Also applicable types of valve shut off safety switches and warning signals for a leak should be present; as well as no fuel-line junctions other than at tank and at stove. It’s not rocket science, after all. There must be some written and pictured installation standards available that new boat builders utilize that could be followed as rule of thumb for correct installation of propane aboard a previously non equipped boat. I’m sure they can be located. Google... maybe?

Personally, although many disagree with my choice (but others don’t!)... I prefer electric stove, oven and microwave for safety and convenience. With a strong, quiet gennny aboard, of course... Just sayen! :dance:

Last edited:
.................. There must be some written and pictured installation standards available that new boat builders utilize that could be followed as rule of thumb for correct installation of propane aboard a previously non equipped boat. I’m sure they can be located. Google... maybe?

There are and I already posted a link above, Here it is again:

Here is a link to the ABYC requirements:

http://www.abycinc.org/committees/A-01.pdf

There are and I already posted a link above, Here it is again:

Here is a link to the ABYC requirements:

http://www.abycinc.org/committees/A-01.pdf

The link you have posted is a good start but there are several other related standards i.e. Galley Stoves A-3, Gasoline & Propane Detection Systems A-14, Carbon Monoxide Detection Systems A-24, LPG & GNG Fueled Appliances A-26, Cooking Appliances with Integral LPG Cylinders.

I have posted all of these standards HERE

Reading these standards without a clear understanding of the definitions used may lead to misunderstanding the intent of the standard so please read the definition section at the begining of each standard.

Reading these standards without knowing the many other standards referenced within these standards may also lead to a less than clear picture. The standards referenced include the CFR's, ASME, NFPA, ASTM, SAE and UL. Posting all of these standards would take more time than I have but they are all available on line if you search deep enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom