Santa Marta, Colombia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry M

Guru
Site Team
$4.63 US/gallon. All diesel, in Colombia, (supposedly) is 15% bio-diesel. The fuel sample looked and smelled like regular diesel.

Larry, do you know if I can find diesel in Georgetown, Guyane also in Suriname or French Guiane ?

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Larry,
Great, I visit the site and I found almost everything that I looking for.
You are in Trinidad?

$4.63 US/gallon. All diesel, in Colombia, (supposedly) is 15% bio-diesel. The fuel sample looked and smelled like regular diesel.

just hope its good stuff and dosent leave you dead in the water. I've never cruised there and wonder if it wouldnt be prudent to keep one tank with know good fuel unmixed just in case.

just hope its good stuff and dosent leave you dead in the water. I've never cruised there and wonder if it wouldnt be prudent to keep one tank with know good fuel unmixed just in case.

A good point but you don't have many options in the area. The entire country uses it including all the local boats and trucks. It's a government mandate so hopefully there are some QC/QA during the blending. The only down side (and I can't substantiate it), is storage can be an issue. You need to treat for water. We have less than 50 gallons on board and will be adding 600+ gallons of regular diesel before we leave Trinidad (non bio). I'll report next month if we have any issues.

A good point but you don't have many options in the area. The entire country uses it including all the local boats and trucks. It's a government mandate so hopefully there are some QC/QA during the blending. The only down side (and I can't substantiate it), is storage can be an issue. You need to treat for water. We have less than 50 gallons on board and will be adding 600+ gallons of regular diesel before we leave Trinidad (non bio). I'll report next month if we have any issues.

bio diesel provides better lubricity than straight d fuel and thats why in the US all d I believe is now 5% or more bio. The new diesel engines dont like diesel fuel without additives to increase lubricity but the old style power systems like most of our boats have can handle it without problems but the 5% bio does help to prevent engine valve train wear

Greetings,
I HOPE you're not serious Mr. 4445. 5% bio? Can anyone corroborate this, please?

go to some of the truck sites like powerstroke.org they have links to information on this issue. When EPA reformulated the diesel fuel in 2007 truck engines began to break down becuase the new fuel did not have the same lubricity as the old diesel causeing component failure. At that time many of us began useing additives to our fuel like made by ansoil and others to prevent premature wear on our engines. EPA recognized this issue and then rquired fuel manufacturers to fix the problem which it appears they did by simply adding a bit of bio diesel to their product.I dont know for a fact all d has 5% but i do know that all fuel is required to have improved lubricity over the first generation smog fuel. In california it is and is noted on the pumps.
There were then and maybe still are truck drivers assing used motor oil to their fuel to improve lubricity and mileage

go to some of the truck sites like powerstroke.org they have links to information on this issue. When EPA reformulated the diesel fuel in 2007 truck engines began to break down becuase the new fuel did not have the same lubricity as the old diesel causeing component failure. At that time many of us began useing additives to our fuel like made by ansoil and others to prevent premature wear on our engines. EPA recognized this issue and then rquired fuel manufacturers to fix the problem which it appears they did by simply adding a bit of bio diesel to their product.I dont know for a fact all d has 5% but i do know that all fuel is required to have improved lubricity over the first generation smog fuel. In california it is and is noted on the pumps.
There were then and maybe still are truck drivers assing used motor oil to their fuel to improve lubricity and mileage

EPA does does not nor did not reformulate diesel fuel. EPA sets emissions. It is up to the oil companies/refineries to meet these emission standards such as for ULSD, lubricity and the cetane level. EPA cares what comes out the stack at the refinery, the exhaust of your engine or what goes into the atmosphere only.

Here's the Federal and State Ethanol and Biodiesel Requirements:

http://www.eia.gov/oiaf/aeo/otheranalysis/ethanol.html

Last edited:
EPA does does not nor did not reformulate diesel fuel. EPA sets emissions. It is up to the oil companies/refineries to meet these emission standards such as for ULSD, lubricity and the cetane level. EPA cares what comes out the stack at the refinery, the exhaust of your engine or what goes into the atmosphere only.

Here's the Federal and State Ethanol and Biodiesel Requirements:

EIA - Federal and State Ethanol and Biodiesel Requirements

yes, what o meant was they set the requirments that the fuel producers must then meet. Bad choice of words on my part. We had people go out into the feild and purchase random samples of fuel which we then ran though our mobil laboratory to ascertain compliance. We rarely found any violations but there were some

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom