U.S.Used Boat Purchases by Canucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lucy 11

Veteran Member
Hello ----- I've nearly decided to purchase an Albin 25 from a private party in the US............ I don't know anything about the process of transfering title of boat and trailer.... are "Title Searches" needed etc. etc. ...... are there Canadians out there who have done this --- any info will be appreciated....... Canadians-- I know "buy Canadian" BUT availability is an issue as is price.. "guys gotta do what a guys gotta do" thnx. jp

Lucy, there's a company called Marine Title in Seattle that will be able to help you with the transfer. They've been in the business for years and do a very complete job.

Yes Lucy, the are many people who have done it, but to insure the procedures ae done right I'd suggest you go to a GOOD nearby BC boat broker with requisite experience. Yes you'd have to pay him but but what the heck. PM me if you are interested in pursuing this option and I could pass along a name or two. I'm not a broker or related to one.

Greetings,
From what I understand, the only thing the border agency is interested in is the trailer (a trailer is considered a vehicle) compliance and paying tax on same. The province will ding you for the taxes on the boat when you license it. A friend did exactly as you are planning and this anecdotal information comes from him. He did NOT use a broker or service. Best to confirm the following...
Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Importing a Vehicle for trailer.

Pleasure Craft Licences: Questions and Answers - Transport Canada Under "Application Information"

Hope this helps...

Don't shoot the messenger if he's wrong. My memory isn't what toaster be is used sometimes?????

Yes Lucy, the are many people who have done it, but to insure the procedures ae done right I'd suggest you go to a GOOD nearby BC boat broker with requisite experience. Yes you'd have to pay him but but what the heck. PM me if you are interested in pursuing this option and I could pass along a name or two. I'm not a broker or related to one.
+1 i have seen too many 3 day stops at the border.

Hello:

I have imported three boats from the US -- one from New York to Ontario and two from Washington to B.C. -- and didn't use a customs broker (or yacht broker) for any of them. No hassles with any of them and, in fact, Canada Customs didn't even bother to inspect the last two into BC. Towed a 23-footer across at Abbotsford in 2005 and sailed a 35-footer I bought in Tacoma to Sidney in 2007.

I live "next door" to you so feel free to PM me if you'd like.

I have brought two in from Washington, one on a trailer and the other on its bottom. Have a title search done, get two bills of sale from the vendor, one for the boat and one for the trailer. Make sure the value is clearly written on the bill of sale. You will get charged HST at the border. Before you leave Washington, contact the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (in Victoria I think). They will issue you a permit to operate the trailer in BC and there is a small fee for this. As with any imported vehicle, you will need to get the trailer inspected before it can be licensed. Canadian Tire is an authorized inspection facility. Contact a Government of Canada service centre for an application to register the boat. Mail it back east, get the number and registration certificate and you are good to go. It really is a surprisingly painless process. Depending on the width of the boat, Washington State may require wide load signs and a flashing amber light. Check on that when you pick up the boat.

Boat Import

Thanks Joe/Ted --- Now that's what I like to hear :):)....... No more info needed on this topic ... sounds very doable .... except I need to bring it over on the ferry ( ouch!!!!) ......... david rees-thomas is a member of our rcm-sar unit .....I'm sure you know him.. say hello... small world... I;m new to this-- please explain the pm option????????? thnx... john

John
Under you name at the top right of a page it says private messages. You comunicate directly with someone on the forum.

It is all doable do you have any concerns of money being owed on boat in my mind clear title would be a concern buying private.

I'd call Norm at Marine Documentation Services in Anacortes. He can do your US title search, and I'll bet he can give you good advice on export to Canada. (360) 299-3272.
Bill

When you catch your breath you're going to have to tell us all about your Albin!!!

Not Yet!!

Putting my "ducks in a row" ....... Have been talking with the seller on the 'phone and will go have a look see within the next month ........ I'll keep ya'all posted ..... I read a piece on the Albineers site describing his experience with through hull fittings that appeared to be O.K. from the water side BUT were completely corroded when removed...... these are the things that are a bit of a worry .... buyer beware!!!!!! stand by.... john

closer.......

as mentioned on another stream checked the Albin out yesterday.. looks good............. As Joe/Ted have mentioned importation process seems to be really straight forward ..... Have separate Bill of Sales for boat and trailer/ Have the Titles signed and in the "package"...report to Customs(regular booth) and they'll ask me to go inside and process the paperwork(probably will need to give them a bunch of $$)..........an idea .... I've brought the Registration paper back from Wash. State re. the trailer.... before I go down I'll go to our Insurance Office and get a 1/2 day temporary permit so that I will be legal on the road............ the trailer is more than 15 years olde so no duty............. then I'll need to register/license the boat in b.c. through Transport Canada.................. Painless!!!!!!!! stand by.... john :thumb::thumb:

Back
Top Bottom