View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #55
bfloyd4445
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Bfloyd4445, my engines smoke on a cold start until they warm up, but burn very cleanly after that...well, as clean as an old school, 1977-technology Perkins can. What filled my ER was the normal products of diesel combustion. I'd venture to say that if any modern day diesel had its exhaust released directly into the ER, they'd find similar results after an hour.

I learned a lot about cleaning diesel soot in the month that followed. Rule 1: Keep it dry and remove it dry as much as possible before resorting to spray solutions. After Rule 1, the rest of the rules don't matter much.
opps. I forgot to mention the engine must first be warmed up to operating temperature.
I don't think the standard for marine diesels has changed since your perkins was built unfortunately.
The new ones with the particulate filters create almost no particulate matter if functioning properly. My 2007 combine engined diesel truck is stickered under the hood with a federal epa tag listing it as a ULEV, ultra low emmisions vehicle. CARB developed the standard and the fed epa adopted them.
I wish the standards applied to water craft as they have always resulted in more fuel efficient engines that last longer and pollute less

What did you find worked best to clean up the mess?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote