Conrad
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Murray,
Not even that. I'd sell my Willard for 40K and it's twice the boat the AllWeather is.

Conrad,
Not even 1% disrespect but I had an early Albin 25 and I'd call it a semi-disp boat. I had a 34hp Yanmar in it and cruised it at 8.5 knots at 2750rpm. Six knots is hull speed for them and at WOT it could do 10.5 knots. A full disp boat couldn't do that. The bow ran a bit high but I had good visibility fwd at 8.5 knots but not faster than that. I just re-read your post and it's not much different than I would say. The later hull was less efficient and tended to plow along level but I think they overdid it on the design modification. If they only did 50% of the modification it probably would have been perfect. In any event they are one of the best boats ever built. I preferred the older hull but the newer is considerably more stable as the stern is wider and flatter.

Do you ever go to the Albineer events? We've been away but we're still members and plan to go to the AGM dinner/meeting. Any chance we'll see you ther'e Conrad?
You're absolutely right Eric; I should have said something like it was not as refined a semi displacement as the later models, although maybe it was, from your experience.

Our 1972 model with a 27 HP Yanmar would do 6.5 knots @ 2800 RPM and 7.0 knots at 3400 RPM. Our 1976 with a 36 HP Volvo would do 8 -9 knots flat out ( I forget the RPM) with the bow well up.

I recall chatting with someone a while back who put a 40 - 44 HP diesel in their Albin, don't know which hull, and as I recall they still were only getting about 7.5 knots or so.

I completely agree though, that they were an incredibly well designed and built little pocket cruiser.

Unfortunately I won't be attending the AGM meeting Eric - it would be nice to meet in person.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote