Chrysler Marine Diesel Engine Quality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bfloyd4445

Guru
are chrysler 130 marine diesel engines any good? can part be found for them?
I am close to buying a defever 40 with twinn chrysler 130's. If it had fors lehmans i wouldnt give the engines a thought but chrysler?/ are they any good?

Don't know how good they are but the parts seem somewhat available. Also see this link.

The 6DS7 is a decent engine- I had a pair in a 38' Bayliner. As mentioned, parts availability is a major concern. I found that some suppliers would absolutely rape the customer on parts: for example, I needed a cooling water circ pump, and Keith at Blue Ridge Diesel quoted me $1500 per side! I got the pump rebuilt for $90 after some diligent research.

Bottom line- scarce parts availability; be ready to think outside the box to sour s parts/have parts made (manifold, heat exchanger, pump, etc).

The 6DS7 is a decent engine- I had a pair in a 38' Bayliner. As mentioned, parts availability is a major concern. I found that some suppliers would absolutely rape the customer on parts: for example, I needed a cooling water circ pump, and Keith at Blue Ridge Diesel quoted me $1500 per side! I got the pump rebuilt for $90 after some diligent research.

Bottom line- scarce parts availability; be ready to think outside the box to sour s parts/have parts made (manifold, heat exchanger, pump, etc).

This engine is a CM655-NA III
130hp 3150rpm
uni ser: 556662
engine ser: 6DS7 188364
CM655 B EX-176

didnt get the numbers off the starboard engine

how did you know it was a 6DS7?

Is that the Mitsubishi diesel made for Chrysler?

Sd

Yeah.
Hard to get parts for that engine.

As I recall there is only one or two good source. I think one or two guys bought all that was available and sells parts for an arm and a leg.

Sd

Yeah.
Hard to get parts for that engine.

As I recall there is only one or two good source. I think one or two guys bought all that was available and sells parts for an arm and a leg.

Sd

thanks

i like your moniker. is that the right word?

This engine is a CM655-NA III
130hp 3150rpm
uni ser: 556662
engine ser: 6DS7 188364
CM655 B EX-176

didnt get the numbers off the starboard engine

how did you know it was a 6DS7?

Used to own a pair that powered my Bayliner 3870. When I got the boat, I went into a spare parts mode and got a huge education about the engine.

There's a parts source in Georgia that can order direct from Japan- there is pretty limited stock for the engine, and almost none for the marine specific parts. Blue Ridge Diesel in Anacortes, WA also has some parts availability. Either way, parts can be spendy.

I'd opt for a more common/supported engine.

Used to own a pair that powered my Bayliner 3870. When I got the boat, I went into a spare parts mode and got a huge education about the engine.

There's a parts source in Georgia that can order direct from Japan- there is pretty limited stock for the engine, and almost none for the marine specific parts. Blue Ridge Diesel in Anacortes, WA also has some parts availability. Either way, parts can be spendy.

I'd opt for a more common/supported engine.

That does it then. Time to find a new canadate. The boat needs tons of teak work already and with the added handicap of the engines i think its time to scratch her off my list.

The boat needs tons of teak work already and with the added handicap of the engines i think its time to scratch her off my list.

OR it could be a great buy at the right price?

The boat needs tons of teak work already and with the added handicap of the engines i think its time to scratch her off my list.

OR it could be a great buy at the right price?

I'm willing to take on the teak being this is a USA built solid boat with tons of nice extras but with twin d's that will be hard to find parts for thrown in the -'s are piled pretty high. I have found several others out there with lower asking prices that already have new tanks low engine hours most single lehmans one with a lehman and a perkins. One at least is a china built one.
Maybe i should start a new thread: Defever 40-41 must have and a must watch out for when purchasing list?

Back
Top Bottom