Do trawlers roll a lot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Send me a persaon massage with your email and I will send you some basic information.

Many commercial fishing trawler have them, so it you are near a commercial dock take a walk.

During WWII, many a troop got sick by the normal 30 degree (or more!) roll of the round bottom troop carriers.

Very few (if any) WWII troopships had round bottoms. They were as flat as could be made inboard the turn of the bilge.

Only the forebody and afterbody had any of the compound curves that casual observers believe carry the full length.

Gosh, next thing you know Eric will be saying that I don't have a trawler!!:D

Yes, trawler style boats as any unstabilized boat will roll at displacement speeds or at rest. Dynamic stability is a very real thing. If you don't believe it, come ride with me at planing speeds. Then slow down to displacement speeds. My deep V in a beam sea will roll like a round bottomed boat.

You will get used to the characteristics of your boat, and drive it for the best comfort in different situations. Just don't tempt fate. Be reasonable and take precautions.
Don
having had you pass me on the ICW I say although your boat looks like a trawler it certainly does not run like a trawler

alberto,
Keep in mind that the relatively flat bottomed GB won't respond well to stabilizers as the hull is very stiff. Also very high loads will be imparted to the masts and rigging.

Round bottomed boats like this are ideal for stabilizers.

Attachments

• DSCF0151 copy.jpg
    DSCF0151 copy.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 101
Hi Larry, new to this forum.
I am very interested in paravanes, how to get, or build them, install and use. So I am very interested in your experience.
I have a GB42 Classic and sail at about 8,5 - 9 knots for 9 houras as an ave.
I am having also mooring stabilizers which work great.
Thanks

Alberto--- There are a lot of GBs in the Pacific Northwest and of all the ones I have seen I can recall only one that had passive stabilizers (paravanes, birds, etc) and the owner never used them. Their installation required extensive reworking of the mast and stay system to take the load and the then-current owner of the boat said he never bothered with them because they didn't make much difference. The GB's semi-planing, hard-chine hull has a fairly short roll with a fast "snap back" at the end of it. Apparently passive stabilizers don't do much to reduce this.

Active stabilizers (Naiad, etc) are not uncommon on the larger GBs (46', 49', 52') and are quite effective but they are rare on a GB42 because of the space in the engine room that they require.

Many Thanks,
By the way I am using for two seasons the Magma ss stabilizers for mooring and they are really good, just in case you are interested I can explain how I did my installation.

Hi Larry, new to this forum.
I am very interested in paravanes, how to get, or build them, install and use. So I am very interested in your experience.
I have a GB42 Classic and sail at about 8,5 - 9 knots for 9 houras as an ave.
I am having also mooring stabilizers which work great.
Thanks

The best place to get the feel for Paravanes is the commercial fishing fleets. I would walk the docks to get an idea of fabrication. Very simple design and concept.

SD

I would like to have details and pictures if possible of your paravanes...

Hi everyone - new to the board and thinking seriously about getting a CHB 34 trawler or something similar. Wanted to know if any of you ever have an issue with rolling side to side while underway or at anchor. Thanks

on a trawler the gentle rocking is there mostly 24/7 not just on friday night like on land:)

fullsail
Nothing to be overly concerned about Even in bigger water you learn how to drive to minimise the roll. Tacking into waves works well These are stable and sea worth boats that can take way more then you can

Motion 30 I think this is the answer too.
For the kind of boats most of us have just finding the right angle to take the waves is the simplest and most effective way to be comfortable.

ERIC
Then you know in some conditions just a couple of degrees of course change can make all the difference

About rolling at mooring I do recommend the MAGMA stabilizers. I have been used them for three seasons already, and eliminate 50-70% of rolling.

Alberto,
I almost never anchor where there are any waves so I've never used mine.

Motion,
Yes ... sometimes very little course change but in significant confused seas usually nothing can be done by course changes.

Don
having had you pass me on the ICW I say although your boat looks like a trawler it certainly does not run like a trawler

Hope we gave you a good pass. Where were we?

Don
not sure where, probably in the nc or sc We were in the parade south. I remember thinking how many times in a day you must get off and on plane You did give me a gentle pass thanks

Don
not sure where, probably in the nc or sc We were in the parade south. I remember thinking how many times in a day you must get off and on plane You did give me a gentle pass thanks

Thanks. Next time give us a yell on the VHF. We do a lot of passing. Probably sometimes as many as 50 boats a day. Getting off plane is not really a problem. Moonstruck has gobs of power. She almost jumps up on plane.

When the weather is good we will run outside to make time. We can run from the Savannah River to Fernandina Beach by passing the GA ICW IN 3 hours. No passing.

Last edited:
I'm always being passed. This time it was at a respectable distance at about a half knot faster than I (Benicia, CA in background):

img_114920_0_6d7f060054f68606666475d0a0455df1.jpg

Not long ago "ran into" Pacific Response at the eastern end of San Pablo Bay (Mare Island in background):

img_114921_0_9d329a2cc349cb2a97a2ba977894d7d6.jpg

Normally see her on my periodic visits to the KKMI boatyard at Pt. Richmond where she is stationed. Here she is passing me in Pt. Potrero Reach near her berth (Richmond Yacht Club's marina in background):

img_114921_1_d79b499023d329ffae07b2b596ed29ec.jpg

She throws up a wake noticeably smaller than a 40-something-foot cruiser going ten knots.

Last edited:
Rolling on a trawler . . . . . if you mean rolling completely over, no, not yet.

If, however you mean that gentle rocking motion . . . . . . . you know the one I mean . . . .

Roll1.jpg

Roll2.jpg

Roll3.jpg

Roll4.jpg

Yea, I guess they do just a little.

In the 'Ditch' last week on the way back from Galveston. Photos were taken by friends from a rather large Sea Ray as they gently passed me by.

I just hang on and enjoy the ride! Actually, I quietly smile all the way past the fuel docks . . . . .

I just love boating in all it's forms. Isn't it fabulous we get to do this?:)

Rolling on a trawler . . . . . if you mean rolling completely over, no, not yet.

If, however you mean that gentle rocking motion . . . . . . . you know the one I mean . . . .

Roll1.jpg

Roll2.jpg

Roll3.jpg

Roll4.jpg

Yea, I guess they do just a little.

In the 'Ditch' last week on the way back from Galveston. Photos were taken by friends from a rather large Sea Ray as they gently passed me by.

I just hang on and enjoy the ride! Actually, I quietly smile all the way past the fuel docks . . . . .

I just love boating in all it's forms. Isn't it fabulous we get to do this?:)

Hey i resemble that remark. I used to own one of them babies. I don't think Searay ever made a slow boat all mine would do 50mph or more. At Searay speed we do mpg not knots. Knots we leave to Bqarney<smile>...Searays love the water....
whew, that said i apolojize for the inconsiderate searay captain. Rays like to go fast and if u get er up proper without much wake for the size of the vessel.
OPk, that was last year this year i am into trawler speeds cause theres lots ca trwler can do that Searay types can only dream about.:)

Actually, my friends in their Sea Ray were not the culprits. The 100'+ crew boat in front of them had just rocked all of our worlds.

We were playing, they were working, room for everyone, right?:)

Actually, my friends in their Sea Ray were not the culprits. The 100'+ crew boat in front of them had just rocked all of our worlds.

We were playing, they were working, room for everyone, right?:)

maybe, but its more fun to blame the sea rays and ultra fast trawlers:)

Nobody here has an ACTUAL trawler unless they happen to have a trawl net rig on board and know how to use it. :)

Yep Got a 25' trawl net for my 43' gulfstar trawler. lol

Not when you are in one:eek:

:thumb:Hey, i was one for many years, I love boats like yours. Searays kinda feel like they are part of the water and go!! I didnt use mine 270da for almost two years and a guy asked if i would sell it so i did. I figured i could always buy another and it would save bucks if i wasnt going to use it.
Now i am looking to buy a trawler. Wonder if i can handle puttin along? The ray is great in realitively calm waters but out the gate it was kinda scary and the trawler will bve for crossing the bar and costal use.

Larry M,
Great pics of the Willard rolling and I've been there done that but put the boat at the right angle to the waves and with that same wake almost NO rolling will occur. Can't always get it right though and sometimes other waves enter the picture and ... wham you've been got.

Eric,

Thanks for the tips. I normally do try to take passing wakes off the bow or quarter, but this time I was hugging the right edge of the channel with only skinny water outside. Nowhere to go sometimes so I just hang on and 'enjoy' the ride.

You are so right about our little boats, angles are everything. Initially they are a little tender, but very able offshore, or when it gets lumpy. That wineglass hull form gets stiff very quickly.

BTW, I have really admired your boat and follow your knowledgeable and entertaining posts here and on WBO.

Larry

Larry,

Thank you very much for the nice compliments.

With wakes in narrow channels one needs to turn into the wake at about 20 to 25 degrees from the wake so that's fairly close to dead ahead. If a boat is throwing a discourteous or dangerous wake don't worry how he may feel about it and cut in close to his stern at the last minute (missing his stern) bobbing through his wake at the perfect angle (that you've learned over time) and turning back to your original course right in the middle of his wake into his propwash. Hence you will minimize the time off course (at the golden angle) and minimize the width of the channel needed to ride his wake gracefully. The downside is that that close to his boat/stern his wake will be very steep.

Back
Top Bottom